Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 19:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/199/130 Female 65"
BF:33%
Progress: 8%
Default Headaches!

Does anyone else notice headaches while doing Atkins?

I have been on and off Atkins for a few weeks now. I go on and I get headaches as soon as I am in ketosis. I eat carbs and it goes away. I am on my 3rd time of doing Atkins and as usual, as soon as I am in ketosis I have a headache that just won't go away.

Is this normal? Does it just go away after a bit? Anyone else experience anything similar?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 19:51
Contributing Member

Stats: 195/183/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:too much
Progress: 16%

I think you are detoxing when you start a headache. Then, you give yourself some carbs and fed the addiction. You must force yourself to tough it out. I too, was absolutly miserable, felt bad, no energy, headaches, miserable. I wanted to quit many times, but I forced myself to not give in. And you know what! That hell lasted a couple of weeks, then, I started feeling better, having more energy, and I've been migraine free for the longest time ever for me! I killed my food allergies.
Your body craves the things which it is allergic to. You must starve it out. Mine was sugar and the flours. Later, I had a food allergy test done. And quess what I was allergic to! Rice, rye, wheat, corn, beans, potatoes.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 20:01
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflyer
I think you are detoxing when you start a headache. Then, you give yourself some carbs and fed the addiction. You must force yourself to tough it out. I too, was absolutly miserable, felt bad, no energy, headaches, miserable. I wanted to quit many times, but I forced myself to not give in. And you know what! That hell lasted a couple of weeks, then, I started feeling better, having more energy, and I've been migraine free for the longest time ever for me! I killed my food allergies.
Your body craves the things which it is allergic to. You must starve it out. Mine was sugar and the flours. Later, I had a food allergy test done. And quess what I was allergic to! Rice, rye, wheat, corn, beans, potatoes.

:::smacking self:::

Of course! I never thought about that! You are right, thank you!

I feel horrible on Atkins and I never thought about that. I will try again. But these headaches... I am such a pain weenie! They aren't migraines, just annoying as heck!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 20:09
Contributing Member

Stats: 195/183/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:too much
Progress: 16%

Listen, take a aspirin as soon as you feel the headache coming on. And drink at least 16 + oz of water with that aspirin. I told myself that I only had to get thru TODAY with my diet. And you do it ONE DAY AT A TIME. Just like the 12 step program.
The rewards are worth it! And, eat a snack of protein and some fat. Like a 1 oz of cheddar cheese and a slice or two of chicken or turkey meat.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 21:41
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflyer
Listen, take a aspirin as soon as you feel the headache coming on. And drink at least 16 + oz of water with that aspirin. I told myself that I only had to get thru TODAY with my diet. And you do it ONE DAY AT A TIME. Just like the 12 step program.
The rewards are worth it! And, eat a snack of protein and some fat. Like a 1 oz of cheddar cheese and a slice or two of chicken or turkey meat.

Now that I realize what they are from I can deal with it. I was imagining in my mind the rest of my life with a headache while on Atkins! LOL
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 20:22

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

I have had them too and I think its caffeinne... every now and then I have a little and I never realized that it sets me up for weeks of headaches.... until today I accidentally fogot to ask for decaf coffee and my 2 week headache is GONE.... how nuts is that?! lol

I guess its caffeinne or NONE and no in between.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 21:42
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenzday
I have had them too and I think its caffeinne... every now and then I have a little and I never realized that it sets me up for weeks of headaches.... until today I accidentally fogot to ask for decaf coffee and my 2 week headache is GONE.... how nuts is that?! lol

I guess its caffeinne or NONE and no in between.

Oh, I am more than willing to give up carbs. I am NOT willing to give up my drug of choice... caffeine. HA!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 22:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/372/130 Female 5' 7
BF:
Progress: 10%

I had headaches for years before I started on Atkins. I continued to have a headache every day during Induction until about mid-week of my second week. I've only had one headache since and guess why - ate too many carbs! Try to stick it out! I know it's hard - I remember the headaches very well. But wouldn't it be wonderful if it turned out that you are like me and could get rid of them permanently?! I love it!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 22:59
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpj
I had headaches for years before I started on Atkins. I continued to have a headache every day during Induction until about mid-week of my second week. I've only had one headache since and guess why - ate too many carbs! Try to stick it out! I know it's hard - I remember the headaches very well. But wouldn't it be wonderful if it turned out that you are like me and could get rid of them permanently?! I love it!

I didn't have a problem with headaches until I started Atkins but now I understand. I didn't even think of the obvious!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 06:57
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Your headaches, as others have said, are a result of you being "on and off" of Atkins. Your body can't make up its mind about burning carbs or burning fat, and you're feeding the addiction by going off-plan. Give it a few good days of clean Induction, and you should be headache free. Tylenol or another pain reliever will help. Excedrin works best because of the caffiene, but you might want to try cutting that out.

Also, make sure you're eating something every 6 hours at least. Going without food for a long period of time will give me a headache.