Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 11:09
Registered Member

Plan: Was Atkins Now SBD
Stats: 163/142.5/125 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default No family support

Is there anyone else here that is doing Atkins and not getting the support they need from family? I am mainly talking about support from "the significant other".
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 11:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Yeah, my SO and I were talking the other day and I was looking through the sale adds that come with the newspaper and I saw Herberger's haveing a sale on clothes. I asked him if he needed any and he said no and that we already have alot of clothes (we are saving for a house and wedding so money is tight). I told him most of my pants are too big, he said well eat like a normal person and then you will fit back into your clothes. Grrrrr.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 11:20
Registered Member

Plan: Was Atkins Now SBD
Stats: 163/142.5/125 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 54%

LOL...OMG...Are we talking about the same person here? I have shrunk out of all my old clothes and just bought my first pair of size 8 jeans....my hubby said...No more clothes...you have a closet full already...LOL. I have also heard the exact same remark about eating like a "normal" person. He thinks that ordering a hamburger without a bun is "stupid".
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 11:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Plan
Stats: 247/200/140 Female 5"4
BF:Decreasing Slowing
Progress: 44%

I'm lucky in one respect, My bf is doing Atkins with me, he only needs to lose a few stone, and he'd probably not bother if it wasn't for the fact, I really need to lose alot, and hes my diet buddie.

But in another way, I would love the support of my mother, who is strongly against Atkins. She refuses to even say I've lost weight as she is adament that Atkins cannot work, and is bad for you. She picks at everything, from my complection to if I have bags under my eyes and its all cuz of the Atkins Diet . I know she is worried about me, But all I want is a well Done everynow and then .. still can't win em all!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 11:31

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

(((((HUGS!!!)))) to all of you! It's folks like you that make me realize just how lucky I am to have a supportive family! I could cry thinking of what you are all going through. I really don't think I could do this on my own. Luckily for me, both DH and myself have the same low blood sugar problems. Granted, he didn't have as much weight to lose as me, but he was getting quite the middle.

I'm going off now to count my blessings...
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 11:43

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2

The words "I'm so proud of you" from my DH of 11 years are enough to keeping in on track ... this time. I went out and bought an outfit for Christmas already which of course is too small right now, but I know it will fit when the time comes.

Vikki
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 12:07

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

I have lots of support. But when my cloths got to big I gave them away to the battered womens shelter. Please don't be discourged. We will support you. When you need support just log on. It could be that your spouses are kind of jealous. I mean, they might really think you will look too good. I hope that makes sense.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 12:34

Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:

He also gets very mad when it comes time for eating because he keeps saying that I can't eat anything so he doesnt know what to make, literally angry about it. I work all day and he is at home during the week but he still refuses to cook for us. He started eating salads now and everytime I make one he asks for me to make one for him too. He's pretty heavy himself and says that he wants to try this WOE as soon as we move into our house. We live with three of his brothers, who by the way are no help at all, and his whole family loves breads and high carb desserts. I stopped making my chocolate chip cookies and they are all very upset with me. They tease me alot with high carb candy and pastrys and twinkies and pizza. They also make alot of hamburger Helper and lasagne and tv dinners and pot pies. So I'm pretty much on my own when it comes to will power. But through this whole year I stopped taking ephedrine (that was hard) and I quit smoking and now it's this WOE. Oh yeah my SO and one of his brothers also smoke, so there was also no support with that either. But I made it this far and I'm proud of me and that's all that should matter, right?

Just also wanted to add, I am also getting my wisdom teeth finally removed after being told to four years ago, scheduled for Nov. 18th, kinda scared they have to put me under.

Last edited by adukart : Thu, Oct-23-03 at 12:56.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 13:30

Plan: CALP (switched from Atkins)
Stats: 189/169/145 Female 63 inches
BF:Way/too/high
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmee
LOL...OMG...Are we talking about the same person here? I have shrunk out of all my old clothes and just bought my first pair of size 8 jeans....my hubby said...No more clothes...you have a closet full already...LOL. I have also heard the exact same remark about eating like a "normal" person. He thinks that ordering a hamburger without a bun is "stupid".

Sounds like it's time to start getting rid of those fat clothes...when your husband's not around, pack a few up and give them to Goodwill or Salvation Army or a church bazaar...don't get rid of them all at once if you don't want him to know what you are doing. (I once packed a huge box of clothes to give away and when I wasn't looking my husband put most of it right back it the closet).

If money is tight, buy a couple of new outfits at the same thrift shop. Maybe you can even work out an exchange, I know the Savers thrift stores will give you cash or store credit for the stuff you bring in though I have no idea how much.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 16:30
Registered Member

Stats: 234.5/195.2/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 114%

If the person you live with does not support you, then they are just bad people. If they knew how important losing the wight was to you and they still don't support you then I would be pissed. My wife thought it was a bad idea before I started but now is pretty supportive and spmewhat helpful. Maybe let your partner know how important it is to you that you lose the weight. My .02
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 17:33

Plan: card addicts
Stats: 270/270/170 Female 64 inchs
BF:

My Dh doesn't say anything one way or the other. He eats what I cook but he also has a cubboard of thing I should not have. He thinks nothing abut eating Hc foods in front of me.
I guess I could handle all that if he would atleast acknowledge the weight that I have lost.
As far as buying new things , so far I have only bought one new pair of jeans. I just keep wearing the baggy stuff.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 17:50

Stats: 225/192.5/180 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I am so sorry to hear that people are lacking support from their loved ones. I think that's pretty crummy (no pun intended...LOL).

Anyway, like it was said before, you have us here for moral support. We're here if you need us. Maybe trying on the old, loose clothes will prove that you need new clothes. Who wants to go around looking like a schlub? My DH, who is also doing this with me just tried on his dress and suit pants. He was actually able to take them off without unbuttoning them. He was so proud of himself.

Good luck and don't let the turkeys get you down!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 06:26

Stats: 166/125.5/130 Female 66"
BF:24%
Progress: 113%

I'm so sorry some of you are getting no support. I can't imagine how hard it must be!!

Thank goodness I'm a packrat and still have all my "thin" clothes packed away, all the way down to size 7 (which I'll never get in again I doubt). My dh said to me this morning as I was putting on a pair of jeans I'd just started fitting in about 1.5 weeks ago "Gee, those jeans are getting loose. Didn't we just get them out?" I said yes happily. He said, "Guess I'll get the boxes out again on Saturday for you". It was so nice he noticed, but actually it's just because he likes to sit and watch me try on the clothes I think

Our Salvation Army takes in clothes, as does the women's shelter and Goodwill. I don't know of anyone in my area that gives store credit though. The Salvation Army has Bag Day once per week (never on the same day tho) where for $5 you can fill a paper grocery sack with clothes and the whole thing is still only $5. There's also several consignment shops. Check around, you'll find that you can get pretty nice stuff for very little at these types of places.

Oh, and for adukart -- dh does alot of the cooking here because he likes to cook. His one complaint has been that none of our cookbooks have anything in them that I can eat. He's not one of those people who can just throw things in a pot, he needs a recipe. So, I went and found Atkins Cookbook on sale at Barnes and Noble for only $11. Now he's happy. Maybe that would help your situation?

Like the person above said, we'll support you here, so don't think you're alone!!

Julie
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 07:19

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Aducart, get rid of all of your "fat" clothes. Go to a good discount outlet or consignment shop that sells quality clothes for, low carb beer, budgets. Allow your SO to get compliments on his fox of a fiancee and you will see a more supportive man. JMHO, you do not need his permission to dress better.

My husband is very supportive and is the family cook. He always takes my woe into consideration when he shops and cooks. My suggestion is to just keep on doin' what you're doin'. Your spouses will eventually support you.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 07:24

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

He's a guy, he sees clothes, he thinks you have clothes. Get rid of them! That way you can't go back.
JulieL has a great idea with the cookbook. There are some excellent suggestions here on the forum, too, print out something you think you'd both like and leave it on the counter or give it to him with a little hug. If he's insecure because you are looking better, maybe he needs to know you aren't dumping the weight preparatory to dumping him.