Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 19:55

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%
Default Packed Lunch Ideas?

Hi everyone, We've been packing my 17 yr old's daughter lunch so that she can eat fewer carbs and I need some suggestions. She's really content with a lc sandwich (roast beef, cheese, lc bread), so that's her main item. We're really struggling with the other items for her lunch and need some ideas.

For awhile now, she's been eating the Dole low sugar gelatin fruit cup, but it has 13 carbs. It's still a lot lower than what she used to eat, but I'd like to get that item replaced with something even lower carb. She also takes 2 mozzarella cheese sticks and 2 SF goodies (mint patty & small PB cup). So all in all, her lunch has been around 30 carbs and I'd like to bring that down to 15-20 carbs. I'm trying to get her down to 70 carbs per day, but it's hard.

Unfortunately, we have some constraints to add to this mix. She won't eat raw veggies, doesn't want to take anything in a dish that she has to bring home, and she is allergic to eggs. Oh yeah, and she is in braces, so nuts are out, too. The only thing I can think of is fruit, but they are pretty high in carbs. That's why she's been taking the Dole, at least there's a bit of fruit in it.

Any suggestions or ideas would be very welcome. She really does want to eat fewer carbs, but we just can't seem to find the right foods for her. Thank you very much!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 20:34

Plan: slow and local
Stats: 150/133.2/100 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 34%

For a while there, I took a big ole honkin' dill pickle to work with me for lunch. It satisfied that "something salty and crunchy" that I was looking for, plus you can't beat the way it'll clear that metal breath taste out of your mouth for a while.

I'm pretty satisfied with the same stuff day after day, but would she eat an avocado stuffed with tuna or chicken salad? I wouldn't, but that's just me.... I've taken thinly sliced ham, spread it with cream cheese for DS2; pack thinly sliced deli meat and cheese and let her roll it up herself...beef jerky (always good to carry all the time for an emergency snack)..Would she eat pork rinds with dip or ranch dressing? Maybe even a little salsa? I'm not above eating pizza toppings, myself - pepperoni, cheese, olives. You could skewer her up some salami chunks, cheese, olives, with whatever else she might go for....Wonder what the school would have to say about wooden skewers LOL

Deanne
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 20:42

Oh, I never thought about the skewers. Might have to forego them, but the idea of cutting up chunks of different things might work well. I could just put them in a baggie. Great idea! Thanks Deanne.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 20:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/126/~115 Female 63 & 1/4 inches
BF:22%/20%
Progress:

Wow... no offense, but it sounds like your daughter is extremely picky about what she eats! Allergies and orthodontic 'no-nos' notwithstanding, of course.

Hmmmm.... if the LC bread-stuff doesn't bother her, she could probably make herself a 'good cheese' quesadilla, or even a tortllla-and-butter roll-up.... that is on the condition that her HS lets her use their microwave to warm up her lunches. Most of them do that now. She could use a paper-plate to heat it, even though that isn't particularly environmentally-friendly.

Ever thought of making her an egg-salad sandwich with just the egg-substitute? Or would that mess with her histamine-levels too much?

Last edited by watersidhe : Wed, Oct-22-03 at 20:53.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 04:44

Stats: -/140/135 Female 5'10"
BF:All Fat?
Progress: 52%

Has she tried the Atkins' Crunchers? They are very filling and would be nice to have with a sandwich when other kids at school are eating their chips, etc.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 14:00

Plan: Atkns/CT Weight&Wellness
Stats: 335/272.5/170 Female 5 ft 3 inches
BF:54/51/35
Progress: 38%

SF Jello

cheese sticks

How about ham or chicken salad in a lettuce wrap?

do some salami and cream cheese roll ups.

cook up some chicken strips, send em along in a baggie.

make cheese or pepperoni chips by microwaving them!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 05:36

Thanks everyone. I will definitely try some of these ideas. DD certainly is a picky eater, which is why she is so heavy. We've decided she's a carbivore. Thanks again!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 07:01

Stats: // Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 33%

hi diemde, most days I pack lunch for my 15 yr old but luckily for me she is a big veggie lover! However, you could use our salad toppings in a variety of sandwiches for your daughter. First vary the sandwich "holder" , as in lc tortilla, lc roll (o-so-lo makes a great roll in regular, pumpernickle, rye, sourdough, and cinnomin), lc bread, or lettuce wrap. Fillings could include those already mentioned above (chicken salad, tuna salad, cheese, roast beef) , or left overs from dinner ( marinated chicken breast, meat loaf, baked fish) You might want to look into substituting an Adkins Advantage bar (we esp. love the peanutbutter and the coconut) for the lc candy. The protein in those will be more filling and satisfying than the lc candy. A low carb muffing has only 3 carbs and lc marchmellows are .6 each. Sometimes I throw in a baggie of roasted almonds or a few sliced strawberries. Good luck! It is so hard being a "normal" teenager.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 07:11
~ReFINDing Terry~

Stats: 304/167/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 89%
Talking

"carbivore" - I love it!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 18:25
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by diemde
DD certainly is a picky eater, which is why she is so heavy. We've decided she's a carbivore. Thanks again!

I wouldn't assume that is why she is so heavy. My daughter (5'6" and 120 pounds) could be described almost exactly the same way. She eats about 12 foods and her diet is heavily based on carbs. Your daughter, unfortunately, just has a metabolism that can't handle it. My daughter got lucky and got her father's metabolism, not mine. I've been trying to get my daughter to eat better as well, for the sake of her health, but it is a long struggle and she doesn't have the incentive of needing to lose weight.

Don't get me wrong -- I think it is great that you are helping your daughter to eat low carb and that she is losing weight. It's just that if she says it is not fair and lots of the thin kids can eat lots of carbs and not gain weight, she is probably right. She has gained weight because her metabolism can't handle the carbs, but lots of kids (including my daughter) do have metabolisms that can handle the carbs. However, it is the reality all of us in the TDC have to deal with.

Last edited by liz175 : Fri, Oct-24-03 at 19:21.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 05:57

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

When I pack my son's lunch, I often include a ziplock with about 1/4 cup of melon or some cut up stawberries with splenda sprinkled on if he wants them extra sweet (since they are going out of season they need it this time of year). He likes fruit a lot and berries and melons are some of the best choices and easy to fix. I know nuts are usually a no no with braces, but has she tried macadamias? They are softer than most and do not tend to get "caught" ! Panini sp just rolled up mozarella and proscuitto ham in a pinwheel sliced. Looks good and makes the other kids jealous. Good luck
Marie