Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 13:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/182.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:alot!
Progress: 50%
Question Medical Tests For Atkins Followers?

I am actually looking forward to my annual checkup this year (Thurs a.m.) and hope to discuss my new WOE with my dr (and hope she does not freak out).

I will probably get some bloodwork done, such as cholesterol, maybe iron, but I am wondering if there are any other tests/bloodwork that should be done while lowcarbing to ensure nothing scary is happening, and that I am in the best possible shape I can be in.

Any advice/help is greatly appreciated!

Froufie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 12:23
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Froufie! I think you've got it covered. They could test your blood sugar, but it would be perfectly normal. They'll also probably check your blood pressure, and that, too, will probably be normal!

Hope your doc doesn't flip. You always have the option of not mentioning "Atkins," and just say that you avoid sugar and junk food and eat more veggies and whole foods.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 13:29

Talking ...and so my doctor says....

"You look great - you're doing great...keep up the good work."

You're right I was a bit apprehensive about using the word "Atkins"...started off saying low carb..... She didn't bat an eye. In fact she mentioned a couple of her diabetic patients who were low carbing and were doing great (I confirmed that I heard many diabetics were able to control their sugars really with lc eating). When I mentioned Atkins she was not shocked.....we talked about ketosis, and the higher fat. I am so glad she did not freak out!

I also told her of some of the side benefits and asked how much she knew about low carbing and what blood tests I should have.

She of coursed mentioned the usual ones like cholesterol, hemoglobin, but also said I should get my electrolytes checked as well as uric acid which can increase on low carb diets.

The best is when SHE TOLD ME that while my cholesterol may be a bit higher now, the ratios are what's really important to look at.

My blood sugar was tested recently and was fine (don't remember if that was "checked off" on the lab sheet)...and my blood pressure was a decent 139/78.

I now await my blood test results and was told if all was okay to return in 6 months for further blood tests.

I am so happy about this - especially having a supportive doctor. And Monday is my 5 month anniversary on Atkins and I am happy to report approx 35 lbs gone from my body!

Froufie

Last edited by Froufie : Thu, Oct-23-03 at 13:31.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 11:53

Well blood work is back - all sugars/ cholesterol within normal range except my URIC ACID IS ELEVATED! (not sure how much, have asked secretary to fax copy of results to me).

My research indicates there are many causes/reasons for this from obesity to rapid weight loss to too much prurine rich foods (organ meats, shellfish, alcohol) to insulin resistance.

Some of the literature is pretty scary as they correlate high uric acid levels to increased diagnosis of heart disease and high blood pressure.

Another problem with high uric acid it the possiblity of developing gout.

Dr.'s instructions were to "drink more water and watch my diet"....I agree with the water drinking as most information indicates this flushes out the uric acid - not sure about the watching my diet part? (She is aware I am on Atkins)...

I will be going back in 6 months to check bloodwork again.

Froufie
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 05:28

Stats: 173/127.2/123 Female 5'1&1/2"
BF:
Progress: 92%
Smile

I had a brother with gout, (high uric acids), and they had him eat 1/2 cup fresh blueberries every day, and he claimed it helped him. Just a thought.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 18:52

Thanks for the tip! Not eating that much fruit tho - and fresh blueberries are now very hard to come by in my neck of the woods - maybe frozen? I heard cherries are also good? Probably very high in carbs tho!

froufie
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-03, 23:37

Plan: low carb for life
Stats: ???/???/??? Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

High Uric Acid could also be an indication of yeast or fungal infection. Just something you might want to have Dr check. Blessings, Karen