Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 19:07
Smilie Queen

Plan: Atkins/SB
Stats: 140/128.5/? Female 5'5"
BF:33%/27/22%
Progress: 60%
Default Sarah Ferguson bad mouthing LC diets

Sarah Ferguson is on CNN Larry King Live badmouthing Atkins, LC diets. She says that they will 'make your hair fall out', 'give you spots' and migraines. She said it happened to her, and if you call Weight Watchers (don't think so ) you can get a pamphlet titled 'The Truth About Carbs'. It's pretty upsetting, because she is giving out the wrong information. She said that you need carbs like vegetables.... Hello!!!! She should read the book. The same frustrating bs about only eating 'bacon and eggs'. I love this woe, which is what it is, NOT a diet. She also told Larry King that if he did the diet, he would eventually end up at WW. Blech..... I will leave it to others to count 'points'.

Shana
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 21:59

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

She's a total idiot !
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 22:04
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Fergie = weight watchers spokesgirl. Of course she hates low carb, they pay her to hate it.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 22:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/177/150 Female 62.75''
BF:Shudder/Awful/Good
Progress: 53%

If that actually happened to her, it sounds like she ate a lot of high-mercury foods while on the diet (too much mercury = symptoms described). So she mistakenly thought that the WOE was responsible.

Either that, or she was just doing what celebrities do best: being a jerk. I'll hold that option in reserve and hope it was an honest mistake.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 23:10
Don't Call Me Sugar

Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%
Talking Duh

Pretty stupid to go on a show and demonstrate such ignorance. Denouncing a book you haven't read or a movie you haven't seen.

Plus that, isn't WW unveiling a low-carb plan anyway? Plus that, the original old-school WW plan was quite low carb. Guess she didn't get the memo.

Last edited by ysabella : Tue, Oct-21-03 at 23:12.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 23:21

Stats: 280/266/140 Female 5 foot 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

It was obvious she was there with an agenda. Weight Watchers must really be losing the money.

Here are some excerpts from her interview with Larry King last night (Oct. 21st).:

KING: Now, what do you do for Weight Watchers? Are you still their spokesperson?

FERGUSON: Absolutely. But the most important thing I want to -- really want to talk about today is the truth about carbohydrates, you know?

KING: The truth about carbohydrates?

FERGUSON: Yes, because...

KING: Like, what don't we know?

FERGUSON: Well, it's so annoying because the -- all these low- carb diets -- everybody's just eating protein, and they're not understanding if they don't put carbohydrates and vegetables in their diet, they are going to be very ill. These fad diets are extreme. It is so important. It's not just about weight loss, it's about health for the future.

KING: But the...

FERGUSON: You can do these low-carb diets and lose a lot of weight, and it works. Absolutely. Then three months later, all these problems come -- kidney problem, heart disease. I work for the American Cancer Society. I work for the American Heart Association. If you carry on with these low-carb diets, you are going to end up with problems.

KING: The argument made by the late Dr. Atkins and others is that carbs turn to sugar and sugar is bad.

FERGUSON: So that means that we have to cut out broccoli and every vegetable known to man...

KING: And bread.

FERGUSON: ... because it turns to sugar and it's...

KING: And rice.

FERGUSON: Yes. Brown rice, whole foods, whole grains. You have to have it to make your body work. Why? Because otherwise there's too much hyderocolic (ph) acid in your system, and it causes bad breath, spots, and your hair falls out, because I've done it.

KING: You need proteins and carbohydrates.

FERGUSON: You have to -- like life, you have a well balanced, rounded diet. Sorry.

KING: Now what is this, "The Truth About Carbs"?

FERGUSON: Larry, you're brilliant. Look...

KING: From Weight Watchers.

FERGUSON: It's a free brochure mailed to you by calling 1-877- 234-4321, go to weightwatchers.com. But go and find out about the truth about carbs. You can go on this Atkins diet and these South Beach, or whatever it's called, and all these things, but you come back to Weight Watchers in a year's time because you're going to have problems, and you are going to be ill. I can guarantee it because I was there. I had a migraine every 10 minutes because of these low- carb diets.

(Later On...)

FERGUSON: Yes, I snack, nuts and dried fruits. And that's 11:00 o'clock and 4:00 o'clock because my sugar levels go down, so I get them back up. But you know, deprivation is fattening, you know? It causes binging and purging. And you know, if you deprive yourself and you stick to just eating only fats, bacon and eggs and all the things they suggest, then where is life? What is life about? It means for the rest of your time, for the next year, you have to only limit yourself to certain things. And it's going to...

KING: But they're all good things, though. That's one of the things that appeal -- the Atkins appeal...

FERGUSON: Yes. Yes.

KING: Hey, bacon ain't bad to...

FERGUSON: Bacon and eggs, fantastic, and cheese. And what about fruit? And what about the research that has proven from the American Cancer Society and from the American Heart that if you don't have these things, you are going to be ill?

KING: If you want this brochure, you can go to weightwatchers.com or call 1 -- it's toll-free -- 877-234-4321. It's simple enough. "The Truth About Carbs."

FERGUSON: And see you at Weight Watchers because you'll be back.

(Even Later...)

KING: So, if you went with someone tomorrow, that would be in the press on Friday?

FERGUSON: Yes. On Friday. If, if some nice person had called the press and was a photographer waiting outside.

KING: Which would probably happen. Someone in the restaurant would call.

FERGUSON: One of the waiters for a quick 50 bucks, whatever it might be.

Do you know what, Larry? I'd like to go back to that nice gentleman who asked about childhood obesity and Weight Watchers. That is one of the points I wanted to make. When we have our children, we feed them milk and vegetables and healthy foods and give them a well- balanced diet. Why then, why then, would we harm ourselves to do these low carb diets later on when we try and keep our children with eating well-balanced food.

KING: We also give our children french fries?

FERGUSON: We do. Absolutely right.

KING: And cookies.

FERGUSON: But that's why, thanks to you we can get the word out. Don't do low carb diets because it doesn't work. Because why would we practice to our children, we give them french fries but we also try, hopefully, to give them milk, whole grain bread and vegetables.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 23:31

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

If she "had migraines every 10 minutes" it sounds like she never got past the first few days of induction! But she's getting paid mega bucks by WW so what can we expect? I tried WW and it didn't work long term for me so I certainly "won't be back." Sorry Fergie.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 23:49

Stats: 226.6/209/154 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 24%

grrr.... uneducated people spreading lies!!!! don't get me started...

I agree with you Lori, my experience with WW was a difficult one... was on it immediately before Atkins. I lost more in 2 weeks of induction on Atkins than I did in 3 months of WW.

Katt
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 04:32

Stats: 305/260/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Wow, so we don't eat vegetables on Atkin's? I better slap myself around then for having an acceptable salad every day! What a moron she is! Would have been nice if she had read the book before opening her yap! But she is the WW spokeswoman, so obviously she is getting paid well to spread her lies!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 04:41

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%

how can anyone take Fergie seriously??!!

There is another thread about this in the media watch section:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=144267

I've left my 2 cents there!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 04:45

Plan: Lower Carb/glycemic foods
Stats: 179.5/163.5/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Quote:
Fergie = weight watchers spokesgirl. Of course she hates low carb, they pay her to hate it.

I think that hits the nail on the head!

OK, the media is full of crap a lot of times. Let me tell you Fergie the royal barf monger (Sure weight watchers worked for her) didn't go to Harvard or Duke which have come out with some really great studies lately. I'm gonna stick with the opinions of smart people thanks.

And I LOVE my veges And my melon, strawberries, nuts, and EVEN an occassional slice of 9 grain bread so

Hugs,
Kristi
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 04:51

Plan: aitkens
Stats: 216/177/150 Female 5feet5inches
BF:
Progress: 59%

Wow and I always liked Fergie and thought that she got a bad deal when she joined the royal family.
I think that WW is a good diet and I was a lifetime member .It just didn't work for me because as soon as I got to goal I went right back up on the scale again.I lost all my weight on all the different diets but it always came right back almost immediately.I always lost it real fast too.LC Is the slowest I ever lost weight and it is the first time I am not starving.I am in 5 and half months and never hungry and lost 27 pounds.I never bash WW because I know it is a good program and it works for lots of people.I don't understand Fergie bashing LC except that WW must be in trouble and she has to try to regain some of the people who are going to LC.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 05:17
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

WW is hurting, along with slim fast. They have started losing a lot of money with people going low carb. I think we will see more of this in the future.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 06:18
Too kinky for you

Stats: 265/246/187 Male 176 cm
BF:xxx/27.2/20
Progress: 24%

A migraine every 10 minutes huh? I bet she's never had a real one in her life! They last for HOURS if not days. And i've had ONE since I started on atkins 3 months ago, compared to an average of 3 a month before...

GAH!
S
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 06:22
Registered Member

Stats: 235/170/160 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 87%

I have to admit I was pretty upset while watching this program. I kept thinking how ignorant she really is about the subject and that she really has NO BUSINESS spouting off about things she knows nothing about. But, as Mary stated, SlimFast and WW are in a position to lose a LOT of money when people switch to Atkins, and a sensible way of life. Then where will Fergie be?