Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 17:18
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Fiona,

I just noticed your stats -- you're doing great!!

--Ruth,

(who must be the only person on the planet who actually liked that soup. It was the rest of the diet I couldn't stand!)
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 18:17

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 415/338.8/170 Female 177cm
BF:unknown
Progress: 31%

Hi Ruth,

wow thanks I was pretty happy with that weighin, especially since that was at the end of my 2 week Induction period which was 3 weeks ago - next weigh-in is next Friday (yippee)at 6 weeks of being on this WOL

Talk about stats though - yours are impressive!!!! congrats

(woopppss hijacking a thread )

Fiona
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 11:14

Plan: LC/HF/MP
Stats: 248/220/180 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 41%

The strangest one I can remember is that back in the 70's after the birth of my son I had injections from urine and I think it was from pregnant women. I really dont remember the details , but boy do I feel stupid some 28 years later, that I would do such a thing. Vonnie
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 11:31
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Koko, great thread!

Quote:
I'd have to say it was Susan Powter's, Stop The Insanity (no fat)diet. I was so blind, I actually believed I could eat as much as I wanted of anything as long as it was no-fat. So I'd lie there in front of the TV eating no-fat cookies, pretzels, bagels...

I hate her...

...and the real reason she was probably thin is that she was... well, on the "vodka" diet!

I knew Susan Powter was full of crap as soon as I saw her: I heard her say something to the effect of, "there is no possible way for your body to turn something else into fat. The only fat in your body was in your food." Gimme a break!

The wierdest diet I've ever been on? My own brilliant creation: The Diet Pepsi, cigarettes, vodka and ephedrine diet. The second wierdest? The I-heard-something-about-that-Atkins-thing-so-I'll-eat-nothing-but-fat-free-cheese-and-cold-cuts diet. Also my brainchild.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 11:38
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Quote:
The wierdest diet I've ever been on? The diet pepsi, cigarettes and beer diet. My own creation

Luv that one Kristine, sounds like how I ate when I was 17 and worked in a small family run resturaunt (not my family). The owner and his brothers used to joke all the time that I lived on love and cigarettes - they never saw me eat and the few times I did I brought my own lunch - to fit whatever diet I was on

Bad advertising for the establishment - it didn't seem to bother the customers though.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 16:52

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%

Man... I am so bummed that I missed the Susan Powter diet... I could have eaten nothing but jelly beans!!! Now THAT is a good diet in my book!!
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 20:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/230/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 37%

I went on some Diet Center diet. They tested my blood for thyroid, and told me I was hypothyroid, and placed me on a large dose of synthroid. In the meantime, all I could eat was synthetic foods, or "fake foods". You had to buy it from them, and man, was it !!

In that month, I read something about not taking synthroid if you do not *really* need it, which promted me to go to my *real* doctor to get tested again.

I quit taking it, and got tested and found I was indeed in the low end of normal (.02 within low), and the doctor said don't take it ever again. To this day, however, I do think I should be on something for hypothyroid, but finding out the Diet Center went out of business for prescribing this to everyone regardless, made me listen to the doctor.

I quit the diet and started my own form of low-fat, which I actually did for 2 1/2 years. I journaled on paper, every bite, drink, etc. I was *always* hungry.

calories - 900-1000 per day
fat - no more than 7g per day
protein - RDA

Mostly ate boiled chicken and salads with cheese, no dressing.

I got down to 165 lbs and was looking awesome! Before I worked out, which was weight lifting twice a day with yoga, I would carb up a bit with pasta or rice 30 mins prior to lifting.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 22:27
Registered Member

Stats: 171/104/103 Female 61"
BF:
Progress: 99%

The Rotation Diet. It was a diet where you "rotated" the number of calories you eat daily: 600cals/3 days, 900cals/4 days, 1200cals/week, then repeat the 600/900. Ugh! I was soooo hungry on it, I didn't last two weeks!
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 03:54

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:

LOL, Donald--I fell for Susan Powter, too!

I just ate and ate and ate (low fat, extremely high carb, vegetarian), worked out to her videos like a demon and didn't lose anything!

I agree that she use the 'vodka diet' but she readily admits that her backers (for book/video/tours) paid for a tummy tuck!

I actually still use her interval training video--but hit the MUTE button

N.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 06:14

Plan: Zone
Stats: 180/175/110 Female 5' 0"
BF:Melting
Progress: 7%

I did this diet where all you ate was rice. Nothing added to the rice, just rice. About five cups a day.

I don't remember where I learned about it, or who told me, but I sure do remember feeling hungry 24/7! Sure I lost weight but it was only because the calories were SO reduced. Blech!

Last edited by Jadie : Mon, Mar-24-03 at 06:16.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 07:31

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:

oops, how could I forget the popcorn and Crystal Light diet??? My own invention (thank you very much ) and lasted about 11/2 days--couldn't get off the couch, just lay there, zombie... nnniiiicccceeee!

N.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 18:39

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%

The weirdest (actually, the stupidest) diet I ever did, was the Slim Fast 5 Day Jumpstart Diet. You know you are supposed to have SlimFast for one meal a day? Well, on this plan, you have it for every meal, for five days. And all the vegetables you could eat. No dressing. No butter, no fat.

Well, it was guaranteed you would lose at LEAST 5 pounds. At the end of the five days, after following it to the letter, I was up FOUR pounds. I should have sued.

Now that I low carb, I am sure it was because Slim Fast is loaded with SUGAR!!! I could have eaten milk shakes for five days. Sheesh. Glad I got wise!!!

-Denise
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 18:48
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Default How could I forget Popcorn!!!!

Right Nikkil - I did it without crystal lite (prolly wasn't invented way back then ) I forgot I lived on dry airpopped popcorn for days - I bought the popper just for that - I don't even like popcorn!!!! I ate nothing but dry popcorn and did yoga for hours each day thinking I would end up looking like a dancer
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 05:13
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

Wow! I am so SO glad I found the Atkins book in my parents bookpile when I was 16. From the time I was ten I was doing "diets" with my best friend, which were actually "lets go on a diet that's really strict" (Get this, we actually WANTED anorexia because it would mean we would be skinny, not that we seriously knew what it was) and then a few hours later we'd be like, "let's start it tomorrow" and we'd binge. I just feel really lucky I found low carb because I had the chance to get old enough to have the willpower not to just binge and eat all of the time - instead it would be binge, and starve. Binge, and starve!

Meg
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 08:53

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:

I once went for five days without eating anything but B complex pills...of course I was a teenager. I lost weight too, but of course I do not recommend it.
I also remember "food combining" where you are supposed to eat carbohydrates separately from protein, because they get digested differently...it drove me crazy, and I decided that in prehistoric times, people pretty much ate what they could find, when they could find it...and that was the end of that!
One thing I did like was when I tried the Neanderthin type of diet, only everything had to be raw...so all I could eat, meatwise, was smoked salmon and proscuitto. (It was something called the Instinctos.)
I lasted about two weeks, felt pretty good, but detoxing so fast clogged my sinuses something fierce! I thought my face would explode.
But even now, I prefer my veggies raw, and I LOOOVE smoked (uncooked) salmon. So I'm doing a kinda Neanderthin thing still (except for coffee and cashews...I would really miss those...)
Thank heavens for Dr. Atkins!

Last edited by adkpam : Mon, Oct-20-03 at 08:57.