Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-01, 13:12

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Ugh

Someone just nuked some microwave popcorn here at work. I used to *LOVE* this smell. Its now making me sick. I'm torn between frying up some bacon in there or lighting a cigarette in here

yuck yuck yuck

Time for a walk around the block.

Nat
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-01, 13:48

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 207/202/155
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy

I can't wait for the day that smell makes me sick... I love it, miss it still. Can't go to the movies even....
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-01, 14:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/138/125
BF:
Progress: 77%

That just made me think....what *can* we eat/drink at the movies? I used to go in for the popcorn/coke combo myself.

Raven
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-01, 14:28

Stats: 245/245/145
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hi Raven

I just went to the movies last week and I brought pumpkin seeds with me. Next time I'll try sunflower seeds. I just buy a diet Coke and I'm set (or I'll sneak bottled water in my purse because I refuse to pay $3 for a tiny bottle).

BTW I saw Summer Catch with Freddie Prinze Jr. It was nice and somewhat entertaining.

Sylvie p
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-01, 15:43

Stats: 190/171/140
BF:
Progress: 38%

I keep seeing people mention popcorn as bad (or too high carbs), but I figure it's not so bad unless you're on induction. According to carb counter in tools menu, it's 6.29 and 1.1 fibre. If you sub the fibre, then it's a little over 5 carbs/cup. I have it occasionally when I really feel like a salty, buttery snack. Just don't like pork rinds and sometimes want something crispy. Seems to me nuts (which are regarded a okay snacks) are about the same (not a cup of course). Peanuts are 5.4/oz, macadamia 4.5/oz. etc. In the Atkins carb counter, popcorn shows as 4.6/cup for trad. popped. Just curious as to why popcorn has the bad rap.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-01, 16:05

Stats: 300/248/130
BF:
Progress: 31%

We just went to the movies Sunday and I brought macadamia nuts and bottled water in my purse. (I too refuse to pay those prices, LOL) It didn't bother me in the least not to have popcorn - in fact I don't even remember smelling it when we walked in! Guess I was more interested in the movie, lol.

But I didn't realize that popcorn had so few carbs, I've always just heard it's bad. Hopefully someone can answer the question!

Just wanted to add that my tastes have changed drastically since being lowcarb Nat. Stuff I used to drool over makes me cringe now, and stuff I didn't like before (like spicy foods) make me drool now! Strange how that happens.

Wendy
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-01, 16:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Just curious as to why popcorn has the bad rap.

Not sure it's the bad rap I'm thinking about, but rather the worry that I wont be able to stop at one cup. One cup of popcorn isnt very much (those microwave bags make at least 3 - 4 cups). I used to eat that stuff by the bowlful for dinner (with oil and garlic and lemon). If the stuff we loved tends to be a trigger, then popcorn would be right up there for me. Then again, the smell really did upset me. Guess I'll find out one day.... just NOT today *lol*

Nat
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-01, 16:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by wenderwomn
Just wanted to add that my tastes have changed drastically since being lowcarb

Haven't yet mastered two quotes per post..

I agree, Wendy. I found out a few weeks ago I couldnt stomach diet gingerale! I loved the stuff. It's too sweet now. (This from the girl who put 6 sugars in her medium coffee)

Nat
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-01, 16:21
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

My hat goes off the the human being who can buy a container of popcorn that contains 4 cups (small) or a giant tubful for sharing .. and be able to stop after eating an accurate 1-cup measure.

I vote for not tempting fate . When I smell that smell now, I remind myself of the hydrogenated transfats and imitation flavours and aromas ... they sure don't use REAL butter.

Actually, the regular size microwave pouches make 5-cups each. The smaller "snack" size make 3 cups.

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-01, 16:55

Stats: 300/248/130
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
I found out a few weeks ago I couldnt stomach diet gingerale!

Me too Nat, although it was diet coke. I've had nothing to drink on this WOE but water, and a couple of weeks ago I had a diet coke - and it tasted WAY too sweet for me! I was gagging on it! I used to drink the regular soda like crazy, can't believe a diet one would be that sweet tasting. Same thing with sugar free jello, even that's too much for me now! I eat a few strawberries and I'm happy, sweet tooth satisfied. What a joy!

Wendy
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-01, 19:12

Stats: 190/171/140
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default popcorn

I think the microwave stuff is fairly high. I make regular popcorn at home from the kernels. I guess it's not too much of a trigger for me (i.e. it doesn't lead to the kind of quantities you'd get in a microwave bag or even the stuff you buy at movies. I used to get the child sized bag when I used to buy it at movies.) I really find my appetite is so reduced on this woe that quantity isn't much of a prob. Not sure if it's partly an effect of summertime, but some days I have a hard time getting my calories up.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-01, 00:13

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile love popcorn

There I was getting quite excited thinking I could eat popcorn.

It is the one single ingredient that has always been present in my cupboards. I still have it but I have had any since starting the Atkins diet.

I make it from seed and there is nothing better than the fresh crispiness of just popped corn. I have always had a nice BIG bowl of them before.

I'm just wondering if it might not be better to have a smaller bowl - just one tablespoon of seed - of popcorn than to have a chocolate bar when TOM next visits ? It is all about making better and better choices isn't it?

Take care
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-01, 03:19

Stats: 181/138/125
BF:
Progress: 77%

That is so strange about the diet sodas! I allowed myself to have one Diet Dr. Pepper last night as a reward for drinking 2 liters of water and it tasted sooo weird. It was like drinking a *regular* Dr. Pepper. And I'm only on day 6 of induction. (8 lbs gone so far by the way)

The mere thought of eating a donut makes me ill (yuck!) I suppose if I actually go to the movies that smell of popcorn might elicit a similar reaction. We'll see.

Everything I've read about sugar cravings going away is sooo true for me.

Raven - probably *won't* have a Diet Dr. Pepper tonight
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-01, 04:16
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/193/150
BF:
Progress: 28%

I just love this support group. Y'all make me feel so 'normal'...LOL. Second week of induction and I thought I was imagining things but what I have noticed is just what all of you have mentioned. How 'sweet' things taste....almost sickening sweet. Caffeine Free Diet Cokes are a little too overpowering now. I much prefer the thirst quenching freshness of ice cold spring water.

Also, a pleasant experience has been to taste the 'sweetness' in simple foods like a slice of cold cucumber on top of my salad. Never really noticed before I guess because my palate was being overpowered by all the artificial stuff.

13 pounds in 10 days...will measure on Sunday..the end of week two just out of curiosity. They say the tape tells more than the scales.

I love this way of eating....because I am NEVER hungry. What a new experience that is after years of low-fat eating.

I used to eat the movie popcorn with butter and extra salt of course. It is just a small miracle my poor body has actually survived with all the former abuse I put it through. Geez!!

The next 40 years are certainly going to be different.

Have a good one all!!