Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 18:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/157/140 Female 5 ft 5
BF:???
Progress:
Unhappy Why am I stuck?

Hello:

I started Atkins 12 weeks and have only lost 17 lbs. I have not cheated a single time. My carb intake is between 15 and 20 grams daily. I walk approx. 1/2 hr. per day which is all my schedule will allow. I haven't had any sweets, breads, flour, sugar, potatoes, etc. I am getting very disappointed with myself. I eat mostly meat as I don't really care for veggies.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am 43 yrs. old, 5' 5" and weigh 157 lbs. My goal weight is 130 lbs. which is what I weighed for the first 40 yrs. until I went through early menopause. Everything started drooping except for my weight which went up, up, up!

Please help. At this rate, it will take me another 6-8 mos to lose the weight - or is this normal?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 18:59

Stats: 226.6/209/154 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi Kerry,

I know it can be frustrating, but 17lb is great. I have been doing Atkins longer than you and lost a lot less!!!

Try not to be discouraged... slow, steady weight loss is healthy weight loss.

Perhaps trying to introduce a few more veggies into your diet would actually help - it would certainly help with your fibre intake I have a lot of trouble if my veggie intake gets too low, ifya know what I mean. Perhaps your body is slowing down weight loss due to lack of the nutrition in the recommended vegetables... but this is a guess, this is something that happens on lowfat diets if you eliminate a food group (other than carbs of course) as your body thinks it's in 'famine' mode and holds on to the weight.

Also make sure you're drinking lots and lots of water, to flush out any fluid retention.

One of the moderators would probably be able to help you more though

Good luck with it, I think your weight loss is quite impressive!!! Good on you for being so consistent with your exercise too.

Cheers,

Katt
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 15:38

Stats: 235/145/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%
Default Are you getting enough fat?

Are you getting enough fat in your diet? If you're eating, say, boneless skinless chicken breasts, you may not be getting enough fat.

One other thing you could look at -- how many calories are you consuming a day? I'm 5'4", so even on Atkins, I can't eat 2,500 calories a day and lose weight. I can eat enough to be satisfied, but I still have to look at my calorie count.

I hope this helps. In time you will find out, through trial and error, what works for you.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-03, 18:39
SeeMyself

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Hi Kerry

Gosh your doing great! I started Atkins at the beginning of the month (I did have a bumpy start, (carbo shock and tom') but so far I've only lost 2 pounds. I have read some people loosing so much, real fast, I wish that was me, but I think that some of us just loose slower than others, but as for me, any loss is better than nothing. I think too that us women, as we get older, especialy after having children our bodies are slower to let loose of the weight. When I was 20 I use to go on the stewardess diet and I would loose 10 lbs in 4 days and it would stay off for a long time before it gradually came back on. I don't have the carbo cravings anymore like I did in the beginning and I feel better, but my weight loss is slow. But, like Katt said: Try not to be discouraged... slow, steady weight loss is healthy weight loss. And that's what I am going with too!