Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 05:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/196/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Question 4 weeks of Atkins and still no weight loss

Hi my name is Marcia, I am 46 and diabetic. I have been on this diet for 4 weeks and haven't lost any weight. My diabetes is diet controlled, and ranges from 113- 163 in the mornings now. For breakfast I eat bacon and egg omlettes, lunch is usually baked chicken with spinach, green beans or some green salad, and dinner is a bake or broiled meat with a salad. And before each meal I eat a half of grapefruit.. Snacks are about and ounce of sunflower seeds. I drink about 80 ounces of water a day, I just have no idea what I am doing wrong.Im not really frustrated with the diet, because I know this is the way that I must eat to contol my diabetes. I'm just at a loss. Thank you for any help that you can give!!!

Oh I forgot, I eat a lot of celery during the day, it satisifies my desire for something crunchy [FONT=Tahoma]
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 07:39

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

Have your read the Atkins book? If not, I suggest that you start there. You are eating things that you really shouldn't be eating - grapefruit, sunflower seeds. Read Atkins! You will find a whole lot of things you CAN eat that will help you bring your weight, and blood sugar, down.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 07:56
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yeah, what's up with the grapefruit? That will spike your blood sugar.

...but the celery is great. Try it with some cream cheese and ranch dressing.

Congratulations on getting your blood sugar under control! Lots of people lose weight, but that's the kind of success I like seeing the most.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 10:10
Registered Member

BF:

thank you so much.. I was told sunflower seeds were a great snack by a friend of mine on Atkins.. and I was also told that grapefruit was needed to burn the fat as so said by her doctor.. My blood sugar was 163 this morning, the highest its been in 2 weeks, and i have been baffled, thinking maybe I was eating too much celery. Yes I do have the Atkins book, Unfortunately I listened to what a friend and her doc said! I will drop the seeds and grapefruit.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 10:14

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

That's great! I think you'll find that if you stick to what Dr. Atkins wrote you'll be successful in both weight and sugar control. I've never had a blood sugar problem but my family history is chocked full of insulin-dependent diabetics. I just don't want to go there so I decided to change my life for the better with Atkins.

There is another low carb plan specifically for diabetics. I think it's Dr. Bernstein's plan, but I may be wrong about the name. There is a special support forum here to help you with that.

Good luck to you!

shortstuff
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 13:46

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

If you read the Atkins books, you'll know you don't need grapefruit to burn fat--that's one of the biggest myths about dieting there is out there.

If you haven't already, make sure you read The New Diet Revolution. This will explain to you exactly what you need to do to lose.

Geez, I just can't imagine anyone on Atkins telling you you need a half a grapefruit before each meal. A half-cup of grapefruit sections is 8 net carbs, and by the fourth week of Atkins you should only be on 30 carbs a day, the vast majority of which should be coming from green vegetables, nuts and berries.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 15:14
Registered Member

BF:

I bought then new Atkins book today.. I had the yellow one, She told me that she had a stroke, and that her doctor had recommended the grapefruit.. but I believe she had medical problems prior to Atkins. I was on this diet 4 years ago and lost 65 pounds, I am going to stop listening to anti Atkins and do the diet the way I did before. Im just happy I found an intelligent group of people that has seen the success and plateaus!!! AND one that answered my questions really quick!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 16:59

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Mkjulian, I think that's the very best way! Reading the book explains so very, very much. I know I wouldn't be doing very well at all without it.

One thing I like to bring up to people who are Anti-Atkins is, 'Can you tell me any diet you can go on where you can lose weight, never feel like you're starving to death, and at the same time be eating almost 100% of your RDI of every vitamin and mineral out there from day 1?' Anti-Atkins people think we eat nothing but meat and fat and that's just not true. In just the 20 grams of carbs allowed each day the only deficiency is in four minerals, which can be made up easily through supplements. When week 3 rolls around and you start adding back fruits and berries, RDI increases drastically, so that a person actually eats more than the RDI on a daily basis.

Just remember, though. This isn't a diet--it's a way of eating for the rest of your healthy life.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 18:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 237/223.6/180 Male 70 inches
BF:33/24/12
Progress: 24%

Congratulations on your blood sugar control
I too am type II diabetic and since starting this Way of Eating my BG has never been better
Nothing that the doctors or dieticians has worked
I was just in the hospital for a few days and they fed me their 1800 cal diabetic and cardio food and my BG was still high in the evening.
Soon as I got home I started this LC way and bye bye high BG

Anyway I bought the new Atkins book on the way home and have been reading it(not done yet)
And I can tell you it has changed over the years
I read his books back in the 80s and it was alot more restrictive back then.
I would recommend getting the new book because of the changes and it has 20 more years of research in it.
Good Luck
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 20:40

Plan: Atkins- OWL/Pre-M
Stats: 165/144/140 Female 70 inches (5' 10")
BF:30%/19.28%/19%?
Progress: 84%

mkjulian
One suggestion I have after looking at the foods you listed is, more fat. Most people find that eating around 70% fat really does get that body fat burning off. It is easy to get that much fat by adding and cooking with butter and olive oil. Also adding a 1/2 avocado, maybe some blue cheese or blue cheese dressings.

Have you tried fitday? www.fitday.com

It can be a very valuable tool for keeping track of your foods. It will calculate your percentages and help you keep track of things. Also, remember that you can subtract your fiber grams from your carbs.

Good luck!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 05:05
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks so much to all of you for your help, No I haven't tried FitDay but I am going there as soon as I post this!! I don't care for grapefruit that much so I am happy to hear that I don't have to eat it It's kind of hard keeping Diabetes under control with any diet execept for this one, and this is why I love it so much!!! Yesterday I had sausage and eggs, sauerkraut and sausage, pork rinds and chicken with Turnip greens. Sounds pretty healthy to me!!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 10:48
Registered Member

BF:

YIPPIEEE Thanks to Fitday I figured it out!!! I have been eating 67 CARBS a day for the last 4 days!! YIKES.. thanks for the help.. now I'm gonna be crusin along
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 15:58
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

67 isn't too bad, considering the grapefruit. But don't forget to subtract the fiber. Right in the top center of your fitday screen is "Calories Eaten Today". It'll say something like:
carbs: 35
fiber: 15

You can subtract just at a glance and note that you got 20 g of net carbs.

Enjoy!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 11:00

Stats: 246/227/140 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 18%

Just wanted to mention too, that with Fitday, you have to remember to go and look at what portions they have given you...I think it is a bit weird that the default is 1 cup of mayo, etc...so just be sure that you check that, and change what you need to chang.e
It might be good for you to go back to the beginning and start from square one...clean induction...and see how you do. It shows how strong you are that you stuck to what you thought was right, but didn't lose for the whole month...good for you. Just think of what a month of good induction will do for you.
Good luck
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 11:31
Registered Member

BF:

Well I found out that I am diabetic not too long ago, and have been so lost on what I can eat and not eat.. A friend of mine told me about Atkins and it is by far the easiest diet I have found. I don't consider it to be a fad diet like so many claim and I sure don't see where eating a breakfast consisting of a variety of different eggs, bacon, sausage or whatever choices people make; lunch some type of meat with veggies, and dinner basically the same could be harmful for any of us!!I'm working on stabilizing my blood sugar, being its diet controlled it's still jumping around a bit but staying under 150 in the mornings. I'm surprised though that I have taken cookies, candies, ice creams, breads and all the other foods that are bad for a diabetic, out of my eating habits and haven't lost.. but I am patient!!! and KNOW I am eating healthy.. Thank you for your support!!
I am back on induction, but am confused on the fiber issue.. Does that apply to induction or only ongoing