Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 10:59
Doctor Dirt

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 218.2/195.0/145 Female 5'9"
BF:43.6%/31.0%/22.0%
Progress: 32%
Unhappy Beware Breyer's Carbsmart

I remember that there was a thread about this new product a couple of weeks ago...

Well, I decided to buy some, for DH and myself, to eat as an occasional treat. We both had about 1/2 cup on Sunday night -- and spent all day Monday in the bathroom. That stuff is REALLY rough on the intenstines, so BEWARE if you have a problem with sugar alcohols.

It tastes really good but I think I'll stick to LeCarb when I want a treat from now on.

Jeannie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 11:08

Stats: 250/205/180 Female 69 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

i just bought LeCarb for the first time the other day! After about 5 bites, I started to taste some funkyness... it went away after about another 5 bites (hehe) but still... what is that i'm tasting??
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 11:54

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue

I love LeCarb, but also loved the Breyers! So did hubby and dd. I've only had it once and made a milkshake out of it with cream, but no trouble on this end

L
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 12:05
Doctor Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyspers
no trouble on this end L

...no trouble on either end, huh?

I have a sizeable sensitivity to sugar alcohols, so I really should have known better. But DH has never reacted to them before. There was something in that Carbsmart that REALLY didn't agree with him. He's STILL whining and moaning about me "trying to kill him" with that ice cream.

Jeannie
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 12:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 184/184/129 Female 5'4 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I tried CarbSmart (Bryers) The strawberry flavor was AMAZING!!!! I only had two tablespoons, so I didn't react to it. I had to stop after two tablespoons because it gas so goood I was afraid I could eat the whole container in one sitting.
Sugar free candy on the other hand... That'll get me visiting the bathroom all night long.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 12:54

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

I have eaten LOTS of this carbsmart and I know one guy on here has gone thourgh like 8 cartons and wants sick...so...I think you guys must have gotten food poison from something ebcause there isnt anything IN the ice cream to cause this....just sugar and splenda...

well actually I havent checked the ingredients on the chocolate maybe there is a bit of maltitol? that could do it maybe...
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 12:55
Doctor Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryp
I tried CarbSmart (Bryers) The strawberry flavor was AMAZING!!!! I only had two tablespoons, so I didn't react to it.

Yeah, we had the strawberry flavor too. It WAS really good -- so creamy. Congratulations for having more will-power than I had -- if I were smart, I would have just had a couple of teaspoons of it. But NO, I had to dive right into the container and eat a whole serving.

DH and I have stored the rest of the carton in the garage freezer -- we figure it might come in handy if either of us gets constipated.

Jeannie
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 13:15
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Quote:
whyspers
I love LeCarb, but also loved the Breyers! So did hubby and dd. I've only had it once and made a milkshake out of it with cream, but no trouble on this end

Mmmm Milkshake, what a great idea!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 15:22
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

The Carbsmart does have high fructose corn syrup in it. Maybe your body was sensitive to that after not having real sugarfor a while?
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 16:44

Plan: My own lactovegetarian
Stats: 130/110/112 Female 63 inches
BF:24.5%
Progress: 111%

Does anyone know if there are brands of low
carb ice creams that contain no eggs or egg
products? I would love to find one since I am
lacto vegetarian. Also if it has no sugar alcohols
that would be good. I don't want much, do I?
Just the moon!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 07:35
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

The Breyer's Carbsmart is by far the best low-carb ice cream I have tried, except maybe the Atkins brand which is prohibitively expensive. I am sensitive to sugar alcohols if I consume too many, but this ice cream has never bothered me. I only eat 1/2 cup or maybe 1 cup at a time (yes, I measure!)
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 07:39

Stats: 250/205/180 Female 69 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

Aggh... I've been checking every supermarket in the NYC area... so far nothing! If anyone out there is in or around NYC, have u seen this product yet?
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 09:45

Stats: 210/150/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 92%

I love Carbsmart! I eat a serving every day, no ill effects for me. I don't know about you but here Lecarb is $2.12 for a small pint and the half gallon of Bryers is $3.90--was on sale for $2.98. A lot better value

Last edited by Angel66668 : Fri, Oct-17-03 at 10:08.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 09:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 152/144/130 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 36%

Haven't tried the strawberry, but can attest that the chocolate and vanilla are wonderful. So nice to be able to have a little something sweet in the evenings again. The only place I've found the Breyer's Carb Smart is at Super Walmart ($2.98 a 1/2 gallon). I've asked my local Kroger to stock it, so we'll see. Capitalism is alive and well with food companies trying to meet the demands of so many people who have found low carbing to be the answer. It will just mean more and better varieties for us all. YEAH!!!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 10:53
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 210/193/130
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default for MEM2

Have you tried Tofutti HipHooray bars? Looks like they do have sugar alcohols but I love them! I believe they are 4 effective carbs.
Ingredients
Water, corn oil, maltodextrin*, sorbitol*, polydextrose*, cocoa processed with alkali, soy protein, tofu, cocoa butter, mono and diglycerides, cellulose gum, carrageenan, vanilla with other natural flavours, aspartame, salt. Chocolate centre: Water, corn oil, sorbitol*, polydextrose*, isolalated soy protein, tofu, cocoa butter,dextrose, cocoa processed with alkali, caramel colour, salt, locust bean gum, carrageenan, vanillin. Chocolate coating: Coconut oil, sorbitol*, polydextrose*, cocoa processed with alkali, soy lecithin, salt vanillin. *Adds a negligible amout of sugar