Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 09:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 351/341/165 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Stop Atkins after two months???

My mom went to her doctor who is also my doctor as well. Anyway she is a diabetic and she asked the nurse about Atkins and if it was safe for her. Well, she didn't recommend that she start Atkins. Also, my mom told her that I was on it. She said it was fine as long as I come off of it for awhile after the first two months. She said the body needed time to adjust or to rest. I just wanted to know what everyone's opinion on this was. I had not planned on stopping after two months. I actually was planning on staying on induction for awhile. My mom and I were thinking maybe she didn't think it was a good idea to stay on induction for two months. I really don't know what she meant but it bothered me because I had finally found something that I think will work for me. She never did get around to asking the doctor about it so I don't know how he feels about it. She also said that the diet does work. They had a patient that lost 60 lbs on it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 09:19

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

There are people who were on induction for longer than that. I'm sure you will hear from them.
Some parts of the medical profession feel that this is an "extreme" way to eat. I feel that it is extremely healthy.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 09:24
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

She's trying to baffle you with BS, acting like she knows what she's talking about when she'd have been better off being quiet. Happens all the time in nursing-and likely any other field.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 10:34

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I've been on Atkins for 10 months and 9 days. I was in Induction for 5-7 months (Induction for 5; Induction Carbs with OWL Foods for 2.)
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 10:50
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

I am another one that has basically been staying to induction levels, have been so now for 8 months. The nurse has no clue as to what she is talking about.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 11:02
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%

Ya I agree that the nurse had no evidence or poof to back her words up so basically she was just spouting off like many people do when thay think they know what they are talking about.

I am a nurse and I say that I did Atkins for 4 months this time and in my research and in practice...many other people have been on it alot longer than that with no problems.

I will tell you that low carb is the only thing that has ever equalled hunger free permenent weight loss.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 11:53
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 215/139.5/128 Female 5
BF:
Progress: 87%

My physician directed me to the low carb diet and has suggested it to several of his patients, with much success. However, I have heard from another physician how it is not good for you. My blood work is so much better now. I feel much much better. I have been doing this WOL for eight months. With the above factors, not to mention I now control my eating instead of it controlling me, I feel this was a very healthy thing for me to do. There are two sides of the fence regarding this WOL, and as said before, many will make uneducated remarks about it. You have to decide what is going to make you the healthiest you can be and stick with it.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 12:06
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Atkins, or any Lc program is a way of life. AFter you get closer to goal and onto maintanance, you eat more carbs, but still lower carb and no junk food. Going on and off any diet would just screw up your metabolism royaly. It sounds like she is treating it like a crash diet.

Instead of giving your body a rest, you would gain back some each time you quit, and have a harder itme losing it each time you restarted. Why not eat healthy making sure to get veggies, protien, and later fruits, avoid junk food, and not try to yo-yo based on someone elses opinions.

Most nurses I know don't take any nutricion classes at all. What they give you is usually an opinion, nothing more.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 13:07

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

My mom asked her doctor about it too and he is the one who diagnosed her with diabetes and he just told her..no, you just need to eat less fat.... I was heartbroken ebcause I was so excited that she was thinking about Atkins...

She did tell me though that she cut our potatoes for life when I told her she should and she lost 5 pounds in a week...lol
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 13:18
Low Carb Cowgirl

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 210/174/145 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 55%

I think that sometimes people will parrot what other people say when they dont have enough information they have gathered on their own. My doctor told me a while ago when I spoke to him about a diet plan, what I needed to do. He gave me a list of veggies I should eat (told me not to eat "starchy" veggies like carrots and potatoes) and told me to eat lean chicken and fish. I could not eat this way, food was way to limited without the fat options I can enjoy eating Atkins. It didn't work because I couldnt stick with it. I asked him about Atkins later and he said no, don't do it. That was about a year ago. Someone gave me the book about 4 or 5 months ago and I read it, the list of veggies he wanted me to eat.... all in the book as foods I could eat in induction, other than the fat I get to have the rest of the diet was pretty much the same. He told me not to do something - yet the diet he prescribed was a low fat version of it. I went back after I lost 15 pounds and wanted blood work done and asked him if he knew what the atkins diet was, he said he didnt read the book and that was the reason he would not recomend it. When I told him it was pretty similar to the eating plan he tried to stick me on, he said he would look into it. I havent seen him again since, but I am curious to what he recomends now that he has the facts.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 14:00

Stats: 250/230/165 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 24%

I wonder if Dr's tell you its not good for you because they want you to have health problems, this way you need to keep coming back to them ? hmmmm

Just a thought...
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 14:17

Stats: 193/179/165 Male 68 inches
BF:26.5%
Progress: 50%

Doctors don't have a shortage of customers. They don't need to make you sick in order to maintain their business.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 14:33
Registered Member

Stats: 351/341/165 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

I agree. I don't think in this case it was the doctor. My mom didn't even ask the doctor. She never had the chance. The next time I am in there I will ask my doctor what he thinks. But, regardless of what he thinks I am going to do what I know is working for me. This is.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 14:53

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

The nurse doesn't necessarily speak for or echo the sentiments of the doctors they work for. When I first started low carb, I mentioned it to one of the nurses at my doctor's office and she was horrified and went off on me about "all that fat" and "you'll be having a heart attack in no time", etc...yada yada yada.
Then I asked the doctor about it, actually more told him, "I'm going to try low carb". His response was "If you think it's going to help, go for it!".
You should have seen the look on the nurse's face...you would have thought she just started sucking on a sour persimmon!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 15:15
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
You should have seen the look on the nurse's face...you would have thought she just started sucking on a sour persimmon!

That made me laugh. I worked in health care for a few years, and I have been to doctors like everyone else. There are a small percentage of nurses (they seem to often be RN's (this doesn't mean all RN's just some) so we used to refer to it as the RN mentality) who were certain they were right, and only thier way was right. They would ignore everyone under them, and forge ahead, then when they were chastised by a higher up they would pout or sulk and get huffy

The same with when you have a nurse give you a leacture and you respond with a very education statement starting "Really? What I was told in the past..." Most nurses will listen and take interest, some will get flustered and refuse to talk to you, while others will just denounce you as wrong and stomp out of the roo