Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 13:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 138/133./107 Female 57.5
BF:37%/27%/?
Progress: 16%

Hi Teresa,
Boy, do I know about wiggling! Alex thinks that he can take his food 'to go' whenever he decides it's playtime - he gets really frustrated with me when I keep them attached

As for the carb count, we're allowing ourselves the 135 carbs, but most days, we're in the 85 range. I think that to keep losing weight, though, we have to go lower than that. A big part of our carb intake is Kashi GoLean cereal in the mornings. I'm trying to keep our fiber intake up because of some digestive issues that we both have. Most dinners are almost carb free, though, with just meat and veggies.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 18:39

Plan: Primal/Paleo
Stats: 255/241/145 Female 5 feet 9 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

As far as the iron goes, I've heard different sides of the story (you know how that is). My pedi told me to start feeding Jakob iron-enriched rice cereal. I don't do this though because I have read (something by a doctor) that the the form of iron in the cereal is very hard to absorb. I've read that if mom is getting enough iron so is baby through the breastmilk...the form of iron is way more usable through the milk. But, what I do also is feed him egg yolk...high in iron and efa's. And he loves egg yolk...

OH, Jakob has been saying "mama' lately and really meaning it. Today he has been saying it when he wants my attention....so I know he knows what he's saying now! It so cool!

I've been stuck between 204-206 the last week and a half. Most likely it means in a week's time I'm gonna drop a few pounds. I usually do that....drop a few pounds, stay the same for a while, drop more pounds....we shall see. I didn't make my goal for the end of this month..but I am feeling very good. My percentage of body fat has at least gone down some.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 10:43

BF:

Hi there,
Haven't written here in a while. I've been very busy. I started babysitting a little girl who is almost a year and a half. Between my baby and her I am busy!
My diet has been so-so, but I think stress is causing cravings for me and I have given in a few times by having soda, and some chocolate. Chocolate is the worst for me, it's so hard to turn it down.
I've started doing Callanetics instead of Pilates. I used to do these when I was still a teenager and I was just looking at a picture from back then: nice firm abs! (and of course, back then I thought I was fat, lol). The Callanetics for me is a better step right now, as my back just can't handle the pilates.
Jakob has ben crabby! Has a cold, and it's making it hard for him to nurse. Plus with starting the babysitting, it is something different for him and he is distracted when she is here and sometimes won't eat as much until she is gone! He also is refusing any solids I give him.
Well, they are both crying for me , gotta go.
April
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 21:30
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/194/145 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hello again,

I haven't been on line for a while either. Lots of stuff going on. Just wanted to check in. I did lose 3.5 pounds this past week. Good thing too, I was getting frustrated. TOM was here and since I haven't had TOM for a year and a half it was quite a surprise! A little spotting here and there before but this was the real macoy! Well I lost anyway and I can finally fit in my jeans, yeah!

Teresa
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 08:12

Hi Moms!
I've been neglecting the posts as well. Amazing how a little one can take up so much time!
Alex has been slowly weaning himself in the past few weeks. He refuses to take bottles of expressed milk or even formula during the day. He still nurses in the morning, evening, and before bed during the week and exclusively during the weekends when I'm with him. But I am no longer pumping while at work, which is a bit easier now.
Still haven't gotten TOM (it's been a year and 1/2 for me as well). No spotting either. Hmmmm.. can't say I really miss it
Hope everyone is doing well

- Linda

Linda: 4'9" Goal: 107 lbs. - lost so far... 12.0 lbs

9/10/2003: 137.5 lbs.
9/30/2003: 129.5
10/8/2003: 128.0 lbs
10/15/2003: 125.5 lbs

Greg: 6'3" Goal: 210 lbs. - lost so far...24.0 lbs

9/10/2003: 279.0 lbs.
9/30/2003: 262.0
10/8/2003: 258.0
10/15/2003: 255.0
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 12:42

BF:

Gosh, I'm exhausted. Taking on this babysitting job is really a challenge! It's amazing how tired you can get after taking care of your 8 month old baby (he is now crawling around everywhere!) plus a 16 month old girl who runs around everywhere!
I have to admit during this past two weeks I have been horrible on the diet. We've been eating out way too much and I'm afraid I've put some of the weight back on. I'm around 208lbs right now, so I better change my stats so it can sink in and help me get back on track! Not only have some pounds come back on, but I sure feel horrible eating too many carbs. SOO tired!
My husband has noticed the difference in how he feels too...
So, onward and forward right?

April
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 08:43

We've also had a little slip up (see my journal) by eating pizza and a whole Thanksgiving feast this weekend. We feel like c***! I hadn't realized what a difference the low-carb WOE made until we took a break from it. I also gained a couple of pounds back - not worth it for a couple of meals that I didn't even enjoy that much!

I can't imagine how you're doing it with a crawler and a waddler running around all day! Talk about exhausting! Hang in there and the pounds are sure to come melting off again.

Linda
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 21:56
Registered Member

BF:

Hey ladies,

Sorry I've been such a stranger too.

Jaybird, running after those little ones should slim us down anyway. Rebekah is ALL OVER too. She is into EVERTHING! It used to be we'd put stuff on the couch out of the way from her. Now she gets up there and throws everything on the floor. Most days I just leave it until late in the day or evening, because she just does it over and over and over....well you get the idea. I thought of taking in another little one too, but I'm not sure I could keep up! I did get my family room picked up today, or at least it was! But I'm not sure what has happened to my kitchen table. It seems to have disappeared. We used to eat there most nights as a family so I need to "find" it again.

I haven't been doing the greatest either. I try to eat lc most of the day but have been more hungry at night again. We just traded vans, Rebekah was sick and my dad and my father-in-law were both in the hospital the past couple of weeks. It's been hard to keep "in line" with everything going on. I didn't gain though, thank goodness, but I too need to get back on track better. I've found that having lc bread on hand helps if I need to eat on the run. There's a recipe for "Magic Rolls" in Eades Low Carb Comfort foods cookbook. They have been a lifesaver! Just toss the McDonald's bun and put one of these babies on and wha-la low carb fast food. Skip the fries too! Village Hearth Lite bread only has 5 net carbs per slice and it's REAL bread! There's Italian, wheat or 12 grain. All good.

I'm in the Thanksgiving challenge and the Christmas challenge so I have to post weigh ins which I think does help me stay on a little better. I haven't had any gains since I started, but some stalls. The cinnamon rolls were calling me again today and I said out loud to myself "You've worked too hard for 2 1/2 months to blow it today on one of those!" It worked anyway for today.

Talk to you soon,

Teresa
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 20:58

BF:

Yeah, I sure hope all this running around helps the pounds start melting! Keaghan and Jakob are both teething...it's only Monday and I'm already waiting for this week to be over!
Linda, yeah we had pizza too. It was darn good, but my body sure let me know what it thought. Physically and mentally I can totally feel a difference when I eat all that yucky processed high carb junk.
Teresa, I think I definitely need to invest in some low-carb breads and a few things like that, so when we need something on the go like you are talking about, we can have it but not ruin all the work we've already done. The low carb bread sounds like a good idea, especially for when I pack a lunch for my hubbie to bring to work. And for me too, with all the craziness of a crawler and a toddler. But Jakob is pulling himself up on couches, tables, whatever. I'd say he will be walking within a month...Oh MY GOODNESS. And he said "Hi" yesterday..I couldn't believe it, he is 8.5 months old. He's growing up fast.
I've been much better on my diet again. Today I wasn't even that hungry, and I think it may have to do with the green tea I had with my breakfast.
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-03, 08:25

Stats: 217/211.4/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default breastfeeding too

Hi My name is Natalie. I have a 4.5 month old boy named zachery. I just started him on cereal this week and an occasional bottle of formula. I am sticking between 30-40 carbs a day. I haven't noticed him being to cranky or my milk diminishing yet. It was nice to find you gals here. Hope you are doing well!

Natalie
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 22:49
Registered Member

BF:

Welcome Natalie!

Glad to hear that you're doing well. I kept a food journal at home for 3 1/2 months to get in the habit of eating LC. Now I just go with the flo. I haven't been losing very fast, but I am making steady progress. I'm happy with my new LC way of life. I have a hard time restricting to 30 carbs anymore. I do stay between 40-60 most days. If I have a high day or two I really buckle down the next couple of days. That way I don't feel deprived if I REALLY want something. The trick for me is to get right back on the next day or next meal.

How's Zachery doing with his cereal? I started Rebekah on cereal at 4 mos. too. She loved it and is still a good eater. She'll be 11 mos on the 13th. (The day before yours I see!) My how time flies!

I too am a stay at home MOM here in the Midwest. It's great to have you here.

Our starting stats are very similar!

Teresa
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 20:20

BF:

Hi Natalie! 4.5 months, cool. Gosh, I remember when Jakob was that old...so much tinier than he is now at 9 months old. They grow so fast....
Jakob never liked rice cereal for some reason...he ate a whole strawberry the other day though (took him a while) he loved it. He's got eight teeth already.
Well, I've been good all week after my few weeks of going off track. Feeling better, definitely more energy. I just need to get myself exercising again. I think I am going to start running. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow, to go twice around my apartment complex for a start. I'll let you all know how it goes.
I haven't really been counting carbs but I'm mostly just eating fruits and veggies, nuts, meats. I'm watching that I don't eat too many fruits though...I always give Jakob the banana from the co-op box.
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 19:32

BF:

Well, I went for a walk/jog/run today. Eventually I will get to the point where I can just run, but I'm easing myself in. I started out walking, then jogged, then walked, jogged etc. I would walk anytime I felt like I couldn't breathe, hehe. At the end I did a nice sprint. It was about 20 minutes around my apartment complex...and such a nice day, it's nice to run in cooler weather.
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 23:54
Registered Member

BF:

Jaybird,

I've read that power walking actually works your body more because you're walking fast but also resisting running. It's also easier on your joints. For what it's worth.

Teresa
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 22:45

BF:

Thanks Teresa,
I'm doing a little research on it. Runners don't statistically have more problems in these areas...sedentary people have more mobility problems due to joint problems than runners do. However, I'm reading a lot of things on ways to prevent joint damage like running shoes, supplements. I'm also not going to run every single day. 2 days on , 2 days off to start. Running is actually really good for the bones. My mother has osteoporosis and part of my decision to run on a regular basis is that running stresses the bones and actually strengthens them. Thanks for the concern though.
I think part of my weight gain may be muscle increase. A few of my friends say I look thinner today! My arms are definitely stronger...Jakob is heavy and I pick him up every day, many times a day.
Well, it's late. Got to get some shut-eye. Hope everyone has a good week.
April