Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 08:50
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%
Thumbs down Star Jones' "announcement" yeaterday...

Yesterday on the View, Star Jones announced that, yes, she IS trying to lose weight, with the help of her Doctor, then she proceeded to get VERY defensive, saying "You won't catch ME making commercials about it." and "Don't ASK me, don't WRITE me...."

So much for being "happy with herself", huh?

She wouldn't say how she's doing it, since "My health care is my business.." and after the cheap shot at Joy, which she took well, I must say... Joy proceeded to actually be the voice of reason! She said words to the effect that it doesn't matter what plan you use, you can't lose until you address your addiction to food and underlying issues...I never thought I'd ever hear her be so reasonable!

I wonder if she's using low-carb, or if she had surgery?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 09:50
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

She said she and her doctor found an eating and exercise plan that would work for her life. I have to wonder if it is low carb and just doesn't want to go there. The other ladies-Joy in particular-have been very vocal against them. She wouldn't want to be a target for their comments. BUT-she mentioned having low fat frozen yogurt would be ok with the sundaes - which makes me think she's really doing another low-fat diet.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 09:56

Plan: low carb, low sodium
Stats: 205/164.5/125 Female 5'4"
BF:

I managed to catch a few minutes of the show today and she does look good. Can't imagine why she's so secretive and/or defensive about how she's doing it since she's usually so vocal about everything else.
In one of those I-know-someone-who-knows-someone-who-knows-someone scenarios, I'd heard she had surgery here while the show was on hiatus.

-Jana
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 10:00
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

If she loses weight dramatically over a few months we'll see. People don't lose weight that quickly on a "sensible low-fat" plan. She does deny getting surgery-I can see her avoiding an issue, but I doubt she'd lie about it. Star probably just wants her privacy protected. Lord knows we get enough crap about our LC choices.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 10:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

Maybe she truly does not want to be bothered by all the public questions. Weight can be a personal thing. Maybe she does not to be a diet poster child. She is doing it for herself not the masses. I applaud he for saying her health was her business and hers alone.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 10:14

Plan: low carb, low sodium
Stats: 205/164.5/125 Female 5'4"
BF:

I can understand that. After all these months, still only a few very close friends know what I'm doing, to everyone else I'm just "watching what I eat."

-Jana
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 10:51
"Hopeless Romantic"

Plan: 000000000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00000
BF:
Progress: 26%

Plus, if I may, how many times have we fallen a little off the wagon and only have ourselves and our family to know and pity us. Then to hear we are trying again and its kind of embarrassing. She has the whole world watching her so the less she makes of it, the easier it will be if she does falter a bit. Dont worry, if she had surgery, The National Enquirer will surely discover some pictures and then we will all know!!!!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 17:56
Fully Caffeinated

I think if she had the surgery, her weightloss would have been much more noticible by now...IMO

I do agree that she's entitled to her privacy. Being a celebrity shouldn't make EVERY aspect of your life fair game. Although, on that show they discuss just about as much as the Sex in the City girls....just pg rated! She has gotten defensive in the past, especially during the weight-loss challenge that Joy and some of the others took part in. She got a lot of mail asking why SHE didn't join in, since of all the women SHE needed it the most... I guess after those kind of comments, I'd be guarded too!

Al Roker was quite clear that he wished he didn't have to "go public" about his surgery. He said he didn't want to encourage or discourage others, since the choice is between that person and their doctor. He did a couple of interviews about it, then let it drop.

When I see people reluctant to post here, even anonymously, and think of how it takes so much bravery for them to come forward and share their concerns, hopes, successes and failures... I wonder how hard it would be to have your whole "journey" fodder for very public discussion....and those Enquirer pictures!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 19:27

Plan: ?
Stats: 130/125/125 Female 5' 7"
BF:12%
Progress: 100%

My sister had the opportunity of doing business with Star Jones - I can't say in what capacity - but let's just say she is not the nicest person to be around - very pushy and has to be the center of attention.

But hey - maybe if she DOES go on a diet - her mood will improve and she'll feel better about herself without feeling the need to be so unpleasant.

Although that is no excuse for her behavior NOW - she calls herslef a DIVA - whatever!!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 21:55

Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

I have met her 5 times. Yes she can be demading. She is a woman that knows what she likes and expects things a certain way. She was very pleasent to me but then again I was feeding her!!!!!!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 07:52

THAT would explain it!!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 08:09
Fully Caffeinated

ROFL Ian!

Her personality does make for a good attorney, though. Would you want a meek, mild, subservient person on your side...or a pit bull in pumps?
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 02:01
Registered Member

Stats: 187/115/115 Female 5'4
BF:

I would want the "pitbull in pumps" as my attorney but she can tone down the bite when shes not in the courtroom dont you think?
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 09:18
Fully Caffeinated

Maybe not! If it walks like a duck..and QUACKS like a duck...
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 10:28

You can be a tough, in-your-face attprney wothout also behaving like a DIVA - i think?

Ha ha- oh well what the heck, right? Ya never know what makes someone tick - she may have a big chip (no-NOT a potato chip) on her shoulder so now she's a little defensive!!

As long as it doesn't directly affect me - I guess i can't really complain!!