Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 07:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Optimist/pessimist

I'm seeing a lot of comments in TDC journals and elsewhere to the effect of " "I've lost x number of pounds (at much as 100!) and I'm depressed because I'm still fat, far from my goal."

On the other hand, it's possible to find people saying (sometimes the same people, in a better mood): I'm so happy I've lost x pounds, I will never gain that weight back and I'm doing great things for my health.

As I implied, it's very possible for the same person to think both of these things, at different times. But it surprises me a little that the distance from goal is so depressing at times. After all, once you reach a goal weight, you have to work just as hard to stay there as you did to get there. It's not like the work will be over and you can eat very differently.

I wonder if younger people are more impatient to reach goal (I'm 49) because it seems like new life possibilities will open up when they get there. I pretty much expect to have the same life, with better clothes .
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 07:20
Registered Member

Plan: Allergy Rotation (www.alcat.com)/Atkins
Stats: 280/238/166 Female 166
BF:
Progress: 37%

Quest,

Perhaps, it's hard not to think about the difference between those people on commercials who are all thin and happy.
Happy = thin.

Or watching the thin girls get noticed while they giggle and smile. Popular = thin.

I think you are correct. I used to believe my life would magically turn wonderful when that little needle on the scale didn't cross 130. As if the scale fairy would then deem me worthy of fairy tale love, untold riches, perpetual joy, my heart's desire and of course happily ever after.

*Slap* Reality check!

Now at 36, I believe losing any amount of weight will mean I will be healthier, I can tie my shoes with the laces on top, I can shower in less time, I can get in and out of my car without having to catch my breath.

Even though I know it's more for health, I still have better days than others.

Good thought!

Michele
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 08:47
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

Amen, Michele!

Truth: I am impatient. But I am a TV Director. I get PAID to be impatient. Concerning weight: I wish I was back at a perfect weight...whatever that might be. NOW! Yesterday! But at the ripe old age of 53 I have found it is up to me to make my wishes come true. So far I have had a bunch of wishes come true since I started this WOE. I firmly expect bunches more in the coming months/years. I figure what I will do would surprise the hell out of most members of TDC because I figure it will surprise me. Learn to fly? Pack trip into the Montana Mountains flyfishing? I simply don't know. But I know it will be special. And I know it will be living with my senses in high gear. I have spent enough time in "idle".

There are a great many people I know who simply "give up" when the magical Lord of the Lard does not make it all disappear overnight. They cannot see or feel or remember all the improvements to their life they have already made; what gift they have already given themselves! And I could turn into one of "them" if I ever forget for a second where I come from. And where I am now.

I laughed to myself just now. Out loud! Because I can just see some newcomer looking under my Avatar and seeing 410 pounds as my current weight and think, "How on earth can he be happy at THAT weight??!!!!"

And I understand. And I laugh. Mostly because I am soooo damned happy to be that weight. For today. Beats the stuffing out of 466 where I started.

So...I weigh 410 and am not the least bit disillusioned with my weight or my loss of the fact that it will take me years to get back in shape. Fact is I feel more alive every day I follow this WOE. Makes it really easy to overlook the minor temporary disappointments!

Funny thing, that. Not good funny or haha funny. But funny.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 10:29

Stats: 305/260/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Hi Quest!

I know I have my days where I am impatient --- but usually it's a day where I *realize* how much weight I still have to lose. I'll be honest, I tend to walk around in blissful ignorance of how far I have to go, because I feel so darn good - better then I have in years!! But then something will happen (like the rollercoaster incident) that slaps me back into reality and I will SEE myself as I am, right now. When things like that happen, sometimes it's hard to appreciate how far you've come, and how good you feel - so I can understand people feeling low even though they have made GREAT accomplishments - the important thing I've found is to never dwell on something like that, and if anything, let it give you power to make you more determined!

This truly is a rollercoaster ride (one I can fit on! ) isn't it?!

~Jaya
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 10:56
Contributing Member

Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

It took me until the age of 45 to finally realize my system was screwed up. I simply cannot eat a daily diet filled with sugar and high carbohydrates. I partially blame the media for bad mouthing low carb plans and pushing high carb diets so much.

Every time I started a low carb diet in the past I would get scared and quit, concerned about my health. Now I have my doctor's blessing, check ups, blood tests and monitoring to keep me safe.

When I was younger, I focused on two things: scale weight and how others saw me. This time I am concerned with my appetite being under control, my health, and my long term plan to eat right. Even if that means eating food other people frown upon.

It took me years to get into this shape and it will take time to convince my body that this time I mean business and will not be changing my eating habits to something unhealthy.

Some days I get a little depressed because of my slow weight loss, but I never consider quitting this WOL. The other day I got weighed at my doctor's office. He said, you're doing great. You lost 28 pounds. He even admitted that I may have a genetic problem that the Adkins diet is helping to solve. He calls the diet unconventional.

Yes, 28 pounds is good but it took me since June of 2002 to lose it! That's a little under 2 pounds a month! I'm eating right, exercising, and walking my ass off! I read about others on the board losing 10 pounds a month or more and am actually embarassed to post my numbers.

I used to compete in powerlifting and carry a bunch of muscle. I actully look fatter than I am. I know that because my appetite is under control I WILL eventually lose the extra weight. Looking back I realize I have never had control of what and how much I eat like I do now.

I am content in the knowledge that if I keep walking, lifting light weights and making the right food choices I will continue on the path to health.

Oh, and a good post idea by the way Quest.

Last edited by mudknife : Wed, Oct-15-03 at 12:25.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 11:38

Plan: Atkins'
Stats: 101/98/65 Female 5' 2.5"
BF:
Progress: 8%

You all seem to accept the slow weight loss. I envy you so much. I have become extremely impatient. If only the pounds would go away... in a month!! I have decided to do liposuction,.... so that explains it all, doesn't it? I must be a born pessimist.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 12:08

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 357/291/175 Female 68 in
BF:52.54%/46.5%/25%

Bill Cosby once said that he was asked if he looked at the glass as half-full or half-empty.

He replied that it depended on whether you were drinking or pouring.

I think that different people look at things differently, and that the person can change their attitude at any given moment, based on the situation. Most of the time, I look at the scale and say, “Wow, I have lost 53 pounds in only 6 ˝ months!”

Sometimes, though, I admit that I look at the scale and say, “Wow, I still have 130 pounds to go!”

A lot of it has to do with how I am feeling, and whether it has been 2 weeks since the scale moved, or whether that pair of jeans from three years ago that live in the bottom of the closet will fit yet (they do, as of last night BTW).
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 12:10

Stats: 425/322/240 Female 68 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudknife
Yes, 28 pounds is good but it took me since June of 2002 to lose it! That's a little under 2 pounds a month! I'm eating right, exercising, and walking my ass off! I read about others on the board losing 10 pounds a month or more and am actually embarassed to post my numbers.

{{{{{{{{{Marty}}}}}}}}}} You have NOTHING to be embarassed about! You are doing GREAT. Yes, 2#/month might be slower than some others are losing, BUT just think about how much you might have GAINED in the last 16 months if you had not been following this WOE. I don't know about you, but my weight was not going to stay the same if I had not found this program. I would have continued gaining as I had whenever I wasn't dieting in the past. I know I could EASILY gain AT LEAST 50# (most likely a lot more) in the amount of time that you have been on plan. So, if you are anything like me, you can say that it's almost like losing 78# (the 28# that you actually did lose and the 50# you kept yourself from gaining).

I know many people who are not losing quickly. My DH is one of them. It has taken him 7.5 months to lose 17#, but it's moving in the right direction, so that's what matters. (Oh, and his cholesterol numbers & blood sugar are a lot better too.)
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 12:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen-mom
A lot of it has to do with how I am feeling, and whether it has been 2 weeks since the scale moved, or whether that pair of jeans from three years ago that live in the bottom of the closet will fit yet (they do, as of last night BTW).

VERY true!! Congratulations on getting into those jeans!!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 12:16

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 357/291/175 Female 68 in
BF:52.54%/46.5%/25%

Thanks June, we won tickets to go see Jeff Foxworthy, so I had to try them on, I didn't want to wear my hanging off me "fat clothes". I was actually a little shocked that they zipped. LOL

I guess today is an optomistic day! LOL
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 12:23
Contributing Member

Hi LCchickFL, thanks for the encouraging words. You're so nice to do that. On most days I have a positive attitude and feel great about my progress so far.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 12:48

You're welcome, Marty. You know, responding to your post had an added benefit for me too. Until I was quoting hubby's stats, I hadn't gone back to look at his progress in quite a while. I forgot how much he weighed when he started (and so did he). He was really happy when I called to tell him that he has lost 17 lbs. so far. Sometimes when you are only seeing a pound here and there in between staying the same for weeks at a time, you lose track of the progress you are making. All those 1 pounds really add up over time!! So, thank YOU for helping me to give DH some good news today!!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 13:42

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

Marty,
When I "met" you online your super-positive attitude obscured from me the rate of your weight loss. Your perseverence and conviction are really admirable (esp since I know you haven't always had support for this WOE in the family). I nominate you for low carber of the month!

Diane
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 14:14
Contributing Member

Thanks June and Diane. I'm positively inspired today! lol

Last edited by mudknife : Wed, Oct-15-03 at 14:18.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 16:32

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

I think you hit me on the head...lolol It's my age! lolol I dont know maybe it is my age really...or just me...

I actually am up when the weight is going down but when it doesnt move much I get impatient and mad about it....I know my weight loss isnt slow overlal but I did have 2 weeks there where it dodnt change and that bothered me becasue I tell myself I could do 10 pounds a month on Low fat...maybe thtas not true but its ingrained in my mind for some reason...who knows... I am up and down in general...