Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 10:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 222/206/165 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 28%
Question Doctor advised protein ONLY ??

Hi everyone. My girlfriend and I have been low carbing for 2 weeks now (induction). SHe has been going to her doctor weekly who is monitoring her blood to make sure she's ok on the diet. However, he stated in today's appointment that he wants her to eat ONLY meat and a few cubes of cheese (along with protein shakes/zero carb).

We've been doing 20g carbs or less for the past 2 weeks and she's already lost like 4.5 inches from her waist and the doctor was AMAZED. But when she told him she was eating salads and some veggies he said no more! Only meat and cheese!

We think we should just continue adkins induction because it's obviously working. And she is already burnt out on meat and cheese, so salads are her only salvation these days. What are some of your thoughts? She's probably around 250lbs and she's fairly tall 5'11.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 10:06

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

If she is doing fine, she should keep doing as she is doing. However, green veggies contain a high amout of vitamin K which can cause the blood to thicken in some people. Perhaps this is what the doctor is worried about. A good doctor would explain his reasoning. If the diet is working and no hidden health problems are manifesting themselves, I see no reason to make any changes. It is funny how doctors are from one extreme to another.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 10:12
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

Like mainstream America, the doc may also be under the false impression that Atkin's doesn't allow veggies and wanting you to stick to it correctly.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 11:50

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Did the doctor give her a reason for the protein only?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 12:08
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 210/193/130
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default stillman?

I read some posta from a girl on another forum, who lost 100 lbs in under a year using the Stillman diet- when she described it- it seemed like almost all meat & cheese (fats) seems pretty extreme, but it worked for her (and her Dr. was monitoring her the whole time a well) Maybe as long as she is taking good vitamins, it would work out ok healthwise)
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 12:31

BF:

I think the doc just wants to show her it works. He's had other patients that lost a lot of weight on this meat/cheese only part (he calls it Phase I).
I'm fairly certain there is no medical reasoning for his no veggies idea. I think he's just used this weightloss plan with people and it's worked. Who knows, maybe he's trying to pass this pseudo-atkins diet off as his own?
We discussed it and we think we're going to stick with 20g's or less/day, because for one, it's working, and secondly, we figured that she'd be LESS likely to stick with a meat and cheese only diet because we are SO over meat and cheese at this point!

Last edited by ccarter25 : Mon, Oct-13-03 at 12:32.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 12:31
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

No carbs at all? That sounds crazy. Atkins is a lifestyle change, not a crash liquid diet. You know, people have this mystical faith in doctors, like they are devine or something. I would NOT follow that advice. If she gets into the habbit of only eating meat and cheese it will be very hard for her to adjust to maintenence. Besides, eating only protein raises blood glucose more than a modest very low carb salad would, and you miss out on all those important water soluable vitamins and stuff.

What i would do is stick with atkins and get a new doc.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 12:56
Registered Member

Stats: 214/190/135 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hi!

Black57 what do you mean about Green Veggies containing high amounts of
Vit K and its affects on the blood?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 19:39

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Gretchen, The moderators can answer this better. I hope I didn't cause any unnecessary fear. I have read comments from others on this site that vitamin K can cause problems with thickening the blood. I will post this question and see if I get good answers.

Black57
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 21:53

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Sounds like her doctor is referring to the very early form of Dr. Atkins diet. There was some talk by madmike about this early version recently where he referred to Phase 1 also.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 08:41
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Pick up a copy of the latest edition of New Diet Revolution . They are on sale at walmart for only $6. Read through the induction chapter, then take it in to the doctor and discuss it with him. Show him the list of acceptable veggies, explain how well the diet is working with veggies, and so on. It may of been a while since the doctor has read the book.

In any case it is always important to have good two way communication with your doctor. You should always feel comfortable asking why he chooses some things, and bringing forth ideas of your own. While he may know the medical perfession better then you, you know your own body better. Good health takes team work, and you should never blindly follow the advice of any doctor without educating yourself
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 09:22

BF:

We've got the New Diet Revolution book and have been following it for the past 2 weeks. I guess I'll suggest to her that she take it and show the doctor.