Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 21:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/160/145 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%
Angry I screwed up...

I screwed up and I'm mad as hell. We went to the Flea Market at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena today. The food options were extremely limited so I settled for two Farmer John Hot Dogs. I threw the buns away and didn't put any relish or anything on them. Imagine my surprise when I got home and looked up the carb count. I couldn't find carb info specifically for Farmer John Dogs, but I found that the average hot dog is anywhere from 30 to 45 grams of carbs each... and I had two! I have been on the Atkins plan for a week and have been completely faithful. If I was going to fall off the wagon, there are a LOT of other foods I would have chosen. I was walking around in the hot sun all day craving a Coke and drinking water after water instead. I could have had popcorn at the movie afterwards... Did I mention that I'm mad as hell?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 21:55
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

...I don't know what your average is... but the MOST I've ever seen for a carb count on a hot dog was 3 or 4..... are you sure you aren't missing a decimal point? The foot-longs I saw only have nine....
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 22:07

BF:

I got my info from calorieking.com. I just downloaded it into my PDA. I just didn't have it with me at the time. I went to farmerjohn.com and they do list their nutritional info there, just not carb count. I have to go to a store tomorrow, so I can check it out. On a more positive note, my Ketone Stix finally showed a moderate reading. Up until now it's been negative.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 22:24
Fully Caffeinated

Seriously, if the carb count for a hot dog was over thirty, they're surely counting the bun.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 22:30

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

I have to agree with PotatoFree here. If a hot dog could have 30 grams of carbs they'd absolutely have to be counting the bun because there's just no way a 'wiener' could hold that amount of carbs unless it was pure bread.

I have hot dogs with absolutely no carbs at all. The most I've seen in the store is 3 to 7.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 00:04

Stats: 246/242/155 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 4%

I agree the dogs I have here are 2 carbs a dog. Dont beat yourself up until you know for sure
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 09:49

BF:

I do feel much better about it knowing that it was just the bun they were counting. I did end up going over my 20 gram limit, but not by nearly as much.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 10:02
Fully Caffeinated

You did the best you could, and made the right choice by tossing the bun and resisting the Coke. You COULD have just said "The H$%^ with it" and eaten a lot of damaging foods, but you didn't!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 10:05

BF:

Actually... as soon as I saw the calorieking info that said I had just ingested 80 grams of carbs I was ready to say the hell with it, I'll start fresh tomorrow, give me a Coke and some chips. My Partner discouraged this. I ended up having some string cheese and water instead... I also bought some diet Hansen's last night. I haven't tried it yet.