Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 07:18

Plan: pp
Stats: 167.6/164/140 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Help! I need to stop cheating!

I have stalled in a big way! I know why, I've been cheating terribly. I just stopped drinking wine but that hasn't made any difference in my weight loss.

I understand now when people say that sugar is an addiction. I get physical cravings for sweets. It's awful. We just had my daughter's birthday party and I ate cake and then in the next couple of days I finished off the ice cream and leftover chocolate chips. That's not good.

It's funny, I was never that unbalanced until I started eating low carb. Probably because I was getting a pretty steady flow of sugar. Now that I'm not I really have been doing some binge-y kind of behavior. It's out of character for me.

I might go back to induction again. I might just try to add more veggies so that I'm getting more carbs and maybe that will help. I don't know. Any ideas or pep talk for me?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 07:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/139/120 Female 5 ft. 4 in.
BF:
Progress: 37%

Maybe you should try getting all of the sugar filled temptations completely out of the house..that has worked for me so far---I do have three children though so, I replaced the snack items with fruit, sf jello, and things like that.....There are also alot of recipes on this site for sweet treats that could help you with your cravings...Just an idea...
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 09:30
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Aside from the good suggestion above, I'd say to cut all sweets out for a few days at least. Sometimes, if I have a taste, it becomes an obsession, and giving myself a "break" from it stops the pattern of crave/eat/crave again...

Failing that, having some low-carb options readily available is better than the "real" stuff. If you think the family will drive you nuts without their snacks in the house, at least put them out of sight. If the sugar is on the top shelf of the pantry, and a sugarfree snack is on the counter...
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 12:34

Plan: My own
Stats: 120/125/95 Female 4'11''
BF:
Progress: -20%

don't beat yourself up. i am on day one of no cheating. take it easy- and get all those temptations OUT. clean it all out and tell yourself that if you start not cheatnig today, you will feel so much better tomorrow =)
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 08:06

BF:

Thank you so much for the responses. I haven't been back on the computer because my kids have been hogging it.
Just writing it down seemed to help. I also started doing fitday. That was if I cheat I have to put it on the computer. Of course, I haven't been able to get to the computer, but it still seemed to help.
I do try to keep sweets out of the house. The birthday party is the reason it was all here. Having it in the house definately makes it worse but when I'm out that stuff is everywhere. It's spooky to me how much the sight of one yummy thing will stick in my head for days and days and I can FEEL what it would be like to eat it. If that's not addiction I don't know what is.
Thanks again. It really helps to be able to come here to read.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 13:02

Plan: Custom/Modified plan...25-40 carbs per day - it's working!!
Stats: // Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Hey, I think veggies are a great idea. When I think of "i want something sweet" yes, it's often peanut butter or SF soymilk, but sometimes it's fresh (or frozen) green beans, perfectly cooked broccoli, or some other big juicy veggie that is nutritious, crunchy, high fiber, and low carb! Asparagus too... so sweet after not eating sugar for a few months. Picture a huge pile of broccoli with butter and/or cheese melting over it.

Psych yourself out into veggies satisfying your cravings. I tried it and It actually works...
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 16:26
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Not to push it again, but the Dr Phil book is a great resource for isolating and overcoming the visual cues that can trigger a lapse. I highly recommend it.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 10:28

BF:

Ok. I reserved the Dr Phil book from the library. I am 72nd in line for it!! So, it'll be a little while till I see it. It's obvious to me, though, that I need to do some 'work' on my sugar problem.
I have been eating mostly salads - it's been warm and we have grilled almost every night this summer. It's probably a good idea for me to eat more kinds of veggies. I think it may help.

Thanks again!!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 10:38

Stats: 274/252.0/180 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%
Cool Cheating cheats :)

Hi there:

I have urges to cheat all the time. I would give my eye-teeth for a Reeses Cup or a cocktail sometimes.

What works for me:

(1) An assortment of nut options (almonds, pecans, then peanuts).
(2) Chocolate Readi-Whip
(3) Pork Rinds (of course)
(4) Yesterday I tried an Atkin's bar. It wasn't too bad. Very sweet and very choclatey(sp?).

The chocolate readi whip can be hard to find here. Some Kroger's carry it and some don't.

I too eat sf jello. I make IT my reward though. It isn't "free" that way I feel like I am getting something out of it all.

BTW, I am new today. I just introduced myself over in the other forum. I hope I am not butting in.

DowDowDowDow
Columbus, OH.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 12:45

Stats: 259/191/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hop right on in, Dow*4! It's a free forum and there's plenty of room for everyone's opinion and input.

My sweet treat is heavy whipping cream mixed with a packet of Splenda. Almost free and very tasty.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-03, 16:16
Registered Member

Plan: Was Atkins Now SBD
Stats: 163/142.5/125 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 54%

There are alot of good suggestions here to help get back on track. I started cheating by having a taste of stuffing 2 days ago and triggered a HUGE carb crave. I have eaten a peice of pumpkin pie, few snack size chocolates and a cookie but want to get back on track as soon as possible. I could really use some support as I do not have much support from family (hubby thinks I am only on Atkins to lose weight...boy is he wrong...this is a full way of life change for me and as an added bonus the weight comes off). I hope to get the cravings out of my system soon. I hate the way I feel...all dragged(?) down and bloaty.