Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 08:52

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 165/140/125 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:
Smile Carb Blockers

I have recently discovered Carb Blockers. I use Phase II - I take them approximately 1/2 hour before my meal (I take two). I use them on special occasions (anniversary, birthday, etc.) when I feel like having a meal that has more carbs than what is recommended for low carb eating. Basically, my rule is to stay away from any forms of sugar.

The health food store says that I can eat breads and starches, and that these will neutralize their effects in my system.

I would like to have some comments regarding Carb Blockers. Please reply!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 09:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Well...I think most people here have said they didn't work for them, other than to send them to the potty but some said they helped so I guess it depends on the person.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 12:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 212/186/145 Female 5 foot 5 in.
BF:?????????
Progress: 39%

Hello,

Like Lori H said... I have heard they send you straight to the bathroom! I don't want to sit on the pot all day so I think I will stay away from them.

Another thought is that I started this WOL because I knew there was not a magic pill out there that would solve my weight problem. I knew it would take alot of work on my part. I am very happy with this WOL because it is all natural. If you think about it all the foods we eat for the most part are natural... Why would you want to take a pill?

Just a thought...
Sarah
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 16:20
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I vote.. no. All I got for my money was gas. Some people just swear by them for covering a small serving of starch. I still got thrown out of ketosis, bloated, AND tried to get away with more than I should have because the blockers would "fix" it... all in all, I've decided to use the money for a nice steak..or two at the price I paid.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 21:57

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 257/239/220 Female 5ft. 7 1/2in.
BF:
Progress: 49%

They didn't work for me either--Personally I think they are just another way to get your $. Alice
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 22:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/134/125 Female 5 feet 2.5 inches
BF:???
Progress: 73%

I'm glad I read this... I was going to buy some today, but now I think I won't. I don't have money to waste.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 10:18

BF:
Progress:

Thank you for your thoughts on Carb Blockers. I have only bought one bottle, but I do not have the effects noticed by everyone who replied.

I find these great for times when you KNOW you're going to go a little astray. (For me, they're better than cheating and I don't beat myself up for going a little astray.) Again, I only use these for special occasions.

I find these handy when I'm invited over to someone's house for a special meal. Sometimes people go through a lot of trouble to prepare a meal or to treat me, but do not know the rules of the diet, so I take a couple a half hour before I eat so I won't have to totally insult a relative or a friend! And I just stay away from any obvious sugar.

I get on the scale and I stay the same, so I can't complain! I guess maybe I one of the few that they work for, so I'm grateful!

Thanks again for all your input!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 20:44
Fully Caffeinated

If it works for you, that's fine. There are a few who claim it helps. I wish I could find the thread with the person who did the experiment with the blockers and the glusose meter to see if her blood sugar still surged after she used them then ate starchy food.. dang, why is it I can never find what I need when I want to?

In a nutshell, she found little difference in the reading whether she used them or not, unless the amount of starch was tiny, and the blockers were taken WITH it, not ahead of time of all things!

<shrug> YMMV I guess.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 16:54

BF:
Progress:

At first I took the carb blockers WITH the meal. I got on the scale the next day, and I was disappointed to find that I gained.

I started thinking that maybe I took them at the wrong time, but when I looked on the bottle, there was no mention made of when to take them. Again, these are the Phase II brand which are supposed to be a good brand.

I never took another after that until one day when I was at the healthfood store, I asked the owner how to use them and made mention that there was no directions on the bottle. He told me to take them 1/2 hour before I ate.

After that, I had no problems!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 18:06
Fully Caffeinated

Any gain the day after eating is water weight from the carbs or salt.. a fat gain enough to be noticible wouldn't happen overnight, IMHO

I'm not going to sit and argue if it's working for you. It's just the overwhelming majority of people who've posted here haven't had good results.