Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 21:18
Registered Member

Plan: Hybrid Atkins SB
Stats: 204/204/162 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Pain from induction?

Can anyone help? After going back to graduate school and then having cancer surgery, I fell off this WOE and am now back on. I remember that induction the first time wasn't easy - felt tired a lot for the first two weeks - but now I am in significant pain!! It started last night and this morning is only just a little bit better.

Has anyone else had this? Did I eat too many fats? Am I having a gallbladder attack? Surgery never hurt this much! Yesterday I had a mock danish with one egg for breakfast, 3 hotdogs with mustard for lunch (no bun of course) and 2 cups of steamed cauliflower with cheese and a cup of grated carrots for dinner. Oh, also had some nuts to snack on in the afternoon. Drank several glasses of iced green tea - two cups of coffee in the morning. Doesn't sound so bad.

Any help out there - before I go to the emergency room! - would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 21:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

I'm assuming this is abdominal pain? If it was a headache I might say that it was to be expected but this does sound like something you need to see a doctor about. Doesn't sound like a typical induction side effect. Hope you feel better!!!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 21:22
Carb Nazi

Stats: 260/255/160 Male 6'0
BF:YES!
Progress: 5%

Hi Pam:

You didn't specify where your pain was coming from but I am suspecting its stomach? If its hurting that bad, go see a doctor. I had some stomach cramps the first few days and I think it was caused by constipation. Dr. A recommends a mild laxative if that is the problem.
With that said, if you are taking seriously the induction phase, carrots are a no-no as well as the mock danish. Additionally, nuts are better after induction as well, although I don't think they are completely forbidden during induction. Good luck and hope you feel better. Mike
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 21:25
Registered Member

Stats: 184/168/135 Female 5' feet  7
BF:??
Progress: 33%

Hi -

Hotdogs ;-)? Anyway, I am just a beginner and the best thing mostly, it seems, is to go back to induction and count outwards. You know...what am I having that I haven't had. Just a thought.

Sharon
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 21:29
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thanks

Thanks everybody. Yes, it's stomach pain but I want to hold off from going to the doctor. My doc's in New York, I'm currently in Istanbul, and a new doctor may freak when he sees my incision and assume it's related to that.

Why isn't a mock danish OK on induction? It's only an egg with a bit of cream cheese. Carrots I know aren't good but they were the only vegetable I had around and I felt I should have some veggies, especially since I hadn't eaten much all day.

Thanks for your help!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 21:32
Registered Member

Stats: 184/168/135 Female 5' feet  7
BF:??
Progress: 33%

Hi -

So you probably know how you are feeling but I always ( thank god my children have lived through this tendency!) think well..., what can you do, alleviate symptoms and wait for a little while before changing anything. Sleep and wake up tomorrow. It seems kind of like a hard diet to go back to, but......Worth It, Hang in There
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 21:39
Carb Nazi

Stats: 260/255/160 Male 6'0
BF:YES!
Progress: 5%

Hi Pam:

My bad on the mock danish. I thought it was one of those low-carb breaded danishes, which is not a good thing. Good luck and hope you feel better... Mike
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 07:32
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

While the carrots aren't great, you really should have some protien with veggies to help slow the gluglose reaction. Not sure if cheese has enough protien to work.

Talk to your doctor. It could be gas from the veggies, or it could be something more serious related to surgury. Also with the processed foods such as hotdogs you may retain water, I don't thin enough to cause pain though.

You may not be eating neough, esp if your body is still healing from surgery. Mock danishes are high cal and fat, but you barely had anything else for the rest of the day.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 09:01
Registered Member

Stats: 236/213.4/150 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 26%

My first time on induction I had a terrible pain in my lower back/abdominal region. I could not figure it out. I guess I had just never been that constipated before. I ate tons of roughage, I suppose everone handles it differently, but as soon as I started taking psyllium husk as a laxative/fiber it cleared right up.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 13:41
"Princess" of Norway

Plan: Atkins / Lindberg
Stats: 187/169/143 Female 162 cm
BF:Yes
Progress: 41%
Default Where is the stomack pain ?

If it's on the right hand side (approx one fist size from the middle) right under your rib, - then it could be a gallbladder attack. This could be triggered by to much fat (hot dogs) and also mustard/spices. When I had the attacks I could feel my gallbladder as a hard lump. I had the f... thing surgically removed a year ago, never had such problems since. Hot dogs, mustard and coffe was a trigger to attacks for me. And hard digestible vegs, - as carrot !! It can be different for different people. Have also been told LC'ing and the correct combination of foods stops attacks. Wish I knew then....

4 -10% should come from Carbs ( no more than 20g of Carbs)
25 - 30% should come from Protein
65 - 70% from FAT

I agree with the others, consult a doctor to be sure - ASAP !
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 19:21
Registered Member

BF:
Smile Thanks everybody!

Thanks so much for all your helpful posts! I really appreciated it.

Sorry to be gross but a few hours after I wrote I got an attack of BAD diarrhea that lasted most of the morning. Then I was fine! There must have been something "off", though I don't know what. I'd had a salad with a lot of mushrooms the day before, maybe it was that.

I was really blessed by all your concern. My husband is out of town and I've never had stomach problems so didn't know what to do with all that pain. Thanks a lot!

Pam
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 19:39
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

If you havn't been eating many raw veggies, the added roughage can cause bowl upset. What may helo if that's the case, is to cook veggies for a little while, and keep raw amounts small until you have had time to adjust.

You might also look into if you are lactose intolerent. Are you eating cheese or cream where before you weren't really having any dairy at all? It could be another food intolerence besides lactose.

As you have had surgury recently and probably quite a few antibiotice, you might want to read the chapters in the book on yeast and candidia over growth. The antibiotics may of killed off healthy bacteria in your intestines, letting the bad bacterias grow abundant. If this is the case it can effect weight loss, cause irritable bowels, make food intolerences, and other problems.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Oct-12-03, 05:29
"Princess" of Norway

Plan: Atkins / Lindberg
Stats: 187/169/143 Female 162 cm
BF:Yes
Progress: 41%
Talking Glad you'r OK again...

and that it wasn't a gallbladder attack !