Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-01, 18:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/180/150
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy New with lots of frustrated questions

Hi there everyone! I am new to this board and I just wanted to say hi. I have been looking into to low carb dieting for the last week, when I finally got motivated to do something about my weight. I had a baby 5 months ago, and I guess I just assumed the pounds would come off any day now. Yeah right. Well, I guess I'll have to put some effort into it. I have never had to diet in my life, so I don't even know how to loose weight or if I even can. I am 0 lbs. heavier than before Elijah, but it was worth it. Anyways, I have gone to the grocery store in hopes for some low carb food. I just can't find any!! I know there are tons of recipes and all that, but (no offense) they just sound so bland and complicated. I really don't have time to cook big meals with God knows what in it. Does anyone know of any prepared foods or anything simple that has low carbs? I feel like I can't eat anything or it will put me over. I mean one thing of low fat peach yogurt has 5 grams of carbs in it!!! I always thought that yogurt, that is low fat, low calorie, high protein, would be good for you. Anyways, sorry for venting. I just really want to do this diet, but I don't think it is realistic enough for me. If I was to stay under…let's say..30 grams of carbs a day, then I wouldn't be able to eat anything hardly at all. One more question, I ate low carb, low calorie, low fat, and high protein yesterday, but I was still starved. When I added up my calories I only had 1000. What should I have done then? What foods are high calorie, but low everything else? OK, sorry for venting. You all look to me like very supportive wonderful people. So, I thought I would vent and see if you guys didn't mind. hehehe
Thank you,
Buzz
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-01, 18:31

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Buzz

The first thing you should do is get a copy of the book for the plan you're following and read it. Then read it again. Low carb is a way of life (WOL) and its not that hard to stick to (This from a low fat low calorie follower of over 12 years). You're going to need a carb counter as well. There are serveral available but you'll find Corinne Netzer's the best. You can use the one on this forum located under "Tools" above to start. This WOE works, it will not only help you lose weight, but you'll FEEL better, you'll sleep better and you'll have so much more energy you wont believe it.

Good luck, and happy reading,

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-01, 18:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

welcome buzz! congratulations on the birth of elijah! don't be too hard on yourself now! have you read any of the lowcarb books, like dr. atkins new diet revolution or dr. eades protein power plan? they really lay the plan out for you. they list menus as well and give you snack ideas. you should also have a good carb counter. i love corinne netzer's complete book of food counts 5th edition! all these books are under $10.00.
you ask about foods that are high calorie and lowcarb. fat is a great one. high cal and 0g carbs. add olive oil and butter to your diet. good quality regular fat salad dressings. with the dressings there are some carbs.
some convenience foods are deli bbq chickens, bagged salads, hard boiled eggs, canned tuna and salmon, leftover hamburgers or roasts, cheese strings. i eat a couple of tablespoons of sunflower seeds every day. i measure them though because they're so easy to pig out on. do you like pork rinds. great crunch and no carbs. high calorie too.
i hope you'll pick up one of the books and really give this a try.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-01, 00:22

BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up Thanx

Thankyou gals. I will try to pick out a book. I just have a hard time figuring all this stuff out, but I am determined to loose weight dang-it!! As far as the fat goes, I am trying to keep my fat down also. That's the confusing part. I want a low fat, low carb, high(ish) protien diet that is easy and tastes good. Yeah right. I guess I have to just do it the hard way. I've never liked that. hehe Well, thankyou for all your help again,
Andrea
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-01, 02:58

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Thumbs up U've got the RIGHT attitude

Hi buzz

Welcome to the Forum. Congratulations on the birth of Ilijah.

Well u have got the right attitude. {I guess I have to just do it the hard way. } It just feels hard. Once you get busy actually doing it you'll find it is much easier than you thought.

Take care.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-01, 08:14

BF:
Default Low Fat

Hi again Andrea. Good attitude, however you do need to get the information before you start. Low Fat and Low Carb dont usually mix. You NEED the fat it becomes your body's fuel when not ingesting the carbs. Good fats however! Oils from nuts and seeds (macadamia nuts, Olive oil, flaxseed oil, canola oil, olives, fats found in meats and poultry). You need to eat enough to lose the weight (10 to 12 times your body weight e.g. 10 * 180 = 1800 calories... eating that many calories may seem daunting, but when you use a tbsp of flaxseed oil on your salad you've just used 120 calories and not one carb).

If you have questions try the 'search' option at the top of the forum, often the question will have been posed and discussed and you've got your answer, plus some extra info!!

Good luck!
Nat
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-01, 09:24
Registered Member

Stats: 260/193/140
BF:
Progress: 56%

I have read the book.. (atkins) and I keep it in the bathroom so when I'm in there as the kids take their bath and all I look threw it reread parts and things like that. I really don't remember all these "formulas" though. The calorie thing has stunned me a bit thats the first time I have seen it put like that. So at my current weight of 220 I am suppose to eat 2200 calories worth of food?? I don't come anywhere near that. In the past week of keeping everything on Fitday.com I think my highest was like 1600.. and I feel totally full all day. I'm not gonna let myself go hungry. So I feel that I am getting plenty to eat.. but if I don't get that many calories will it keep me from losing?? The same with carbs.. some say my carb intake has actaully been too low. (average 4-8 carbs a day) Will that also keep me from losing?? I thought I would try to up them a little bit I am already up to 6 carbs and that was just with breakfast. Curious to see if more will make a diffrence or not.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-01, 11:53

BF:
Default Carbs and Calories

Hi there again, Candi. I know exactly what you mean about trying to boost calories. Mayo and Oils help. As do nuts (macadamia are best) and seeds. You want to have enough calories going in so your body doesnt think its in starvation mode, or on a *diet*, because it will adapt (i.e. you will stop losing). As for the carbs, the first week I was on PP i wasnt keeping as acurate a count as I am now, I was actually up to about 40 carbs a day. Yet I still lost. Everyone is different I guess, but keeping to below 20 while on induction is what you want.

As you know, I've been peaking at your journal on fitday and adding some greens (lettuce, cucumber, broccoli) would be a great idea... you will also get to add some salad dressing ,oil and maybe a few sunflower seeds to that, accomplishing both goals.

As for 2200 calories (the same amount i SHOULD be eating as well).... I've been keeping at around 1600 (and forcing myself at that), but like razzle said, I'd been on some seriously calorie restricted diets which messed up my metabolism big time. You have to find what works for you. That being said, at your present 1200 - 1300 calories, a few good fat additions will get you up higher very easily.

Keep up the good work, and don't let those new scales get you down!!

Nat
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-01, 00:46

BF:
Progress:

Thanx again for the info. You know I just looked back at my original post and I realized that my number are missing. Some of the numbers on my keyboard have started to not work and I keep forgetting. lol Anyways, I am 30 pounds heavier than before Elijah not 0 . And the Yogurt was 45 grams of carbs not 5. Anyways, thanx for the help again.
Andrea
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-01, 19:39
Registered Member

Stats: 195/140/140
BF:

Hi buzzyboo, just in case you don't know, there are many types of low carb diets. Have you read "Carbohydrate Addict"? That plan allows for more carbohydrates every day.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-01, 07:26

Plan: aitkins
Stats: 130/130/112
BF:
Progress:
Default hi there

Hi there, I am in the same boat as you, I know so little about
this subject and everyone seems to know so much but from what I have read and heard about this seems to be something that works if you want it to, I agree that a book is the starting point and I am going to have a look for one this weekend as well to get me on the go! Good luck!