Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 09:08
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 312/252/182 Male 5 foot 10
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Damage Limitation

I have a planned night out soon, where i am planning to get drunk for the first time in months (and it also happens to be a stag night, so i have no choice but to really), would i be correct that Vodka would be my best bet?

Is it likely that vodka will knock me out of ketosis? It has zilch carbs in it, but i understand that the alcohol calories may have implications.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 09:18

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Bad plan.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 09:19
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

One warning.. you'll be a "cheap date" since low-carbing. Anything you drink will pack a much bigger punch than it used to! The first time I drank more than one drink after low-carbing, I was caught off-guard in a big way! Three drinks, and I was GONE...and I used to be able to keep up with the guys, drink for drink!!

Having warned about that, vodka, gin, rum...all fine as long as you mix with lc choices..diet soda, diet tonic, club soda.... you get the picture.

Your body will burn the alcohol instead of fat for the duration of it's "stay" in your system, but will return to fat-burning when the alcohol is used up.

Also, be prepared for lowered resistance to the carb-laden snack foods that are likely to surround you.

Have fun!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 09:25
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 312/252/182 Male 5 foot 10
BF:
Progress: 46%

Thankyou potato-free. I trust myself not to do anything stupid (ie stuff a burger and chips down on the way home), and im actually quite pleased that i will get obliterated quicker, as i suspect it will cost far less money than what im used to.

The plan is definatly to drink Vodka & diet coke, as a ONE OFF TREAT, for being so good (please take no notice of my stats, i have lost quite alot of weight, but im not weighing myself until the end of this month).
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 09:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Yep just be carefull you might have a short night, if you go to fast guy, lol It'll hit you way more than Pre L.C.

Be sure to have a big, I mean BIG glass of water between each drink. It will help with the hang over and the weight consequence.

Kathy
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 09:30
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 215/139.5/128 Female 5
BF:
Progress: 87%

Have fun and be careful!!! Another surprise that I had besides being a "cheap date" was the hangover. It was awful. If I know that I am going to have a couple of drinks I always make sure that I eat first.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 09:31
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Vodka diet Squirt is my drink of choice when going out... but often they bars around here don't have it, so Diet Coke is the only choice... but it does suffice. I'd agree with having a class of water or plain Diet Coke in between "real drinks".. I find nobody notices if my Diet Coke is in the same glass the real drink was in..lol, it eliminates a lot of teasing about being a "lightweight" drinker. (It's easier to fool my friends than either explain, or get NEW friends...lol)
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 09:36
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 215/139.5/128 Female 5
BF:
Progress: 87%

I like Diet Coke and rum. I want to try the new Thin Ice but it is not in our area yet. Oh one other thing (just my opinion) as the old rule goes try not to mix different alcohols.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 09:44

Stats: 236/186/190 Male 72 inches
BF:21
Progress: 109%

Good Plan!

I would also suggest that you select a top shelf vodka. Absolut vodka is known for its minimal hangover and my personal experience says this is true. I used to drink the cheap stuff thinking it is all the same....not true.

Hey! Its Friday and campfire night here and it promisses to be a lovely Indian summer evening with a full moon.

I will raise a glass to you all and toast to success and happiness.
Best Wishes,
T.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 11:16

Stats: 150/146/130 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 20%

TES and others,
Be aware that Absolut has a higher alcohol content than other brands of Vodka, at least the stuff they sell here in Texas does. Absolut goes to my head really fast, but I haven't had any bad hangovers from it.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 11:48

Plan: My own plan!
Stats: 176/163/135 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 32%

Steveah

Very rarely, when I go out I drink Capt. Morgan's Rum and diet coke (1 carb) and if I do a shot I do a lemon drop with Ketel One Vodka and slice of lemon but no sugar. I count the lemon as a carb and the shot as a carb.

y the next day after drinking a lot of water and a 45 min cardio workout my urine goes back to ketosis color and I'm fine.

I emailed Capt Morgan's a couple of months ago and they said the rum doesn't contain sugar!

Good Luck and be careful!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 11:53

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I've discovered vodka gimlets (equal parts vodka and lime juice). There's a few carbs in the lime juice, but it's very refreshing and I don't have any bad effects.
Big second the water motion. It can mean the difference between no hangover and a skull buster.
I've found most bar food can be surprisingly friendly (I have a lot of social events because of my job.) Last night at a business mixer I had hot wings, shrimp, cheese, and raw veggies with dip. I had as good a time as anyone, without jeopardizing my new life plan.
Have fun and be responsible!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 11:54
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

A second to above-
Plan on drinking half what you used to and a big glass of water between or while drinking can stop the dehydration headache/hangover in check.
I've never gained weight after a night out-but we only go once or twice a month. Salute!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 12:22

Stats: 194/182.5/140 Female 63inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

Man I can attest to the cheap date and hang over. I'm living the hang over today!!! Ugh. and I only had 4 beers. Who would have thought! Careful or you'll find yourself with no clothes on top of a table.....
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 12:36

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

When I go out I drink vodka w/club or vodka w/diet soda or better yet, Michelob Ultra Light Beer and then I sip on whatever I drink. Your ketosis will be suspended but you should bounce back into it as soon as the alcohol is burned up by your body.