Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 12:37
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 240/208/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default LC beverages

I was wondering why there are no low carb beverages listed? I love apple cider but there are so many carbs in a glass that it isn't worth buying. Does anyone have a recipe for LC Apple Cider?

If this is posted in the wrong section please forgive me but actually I didn't know where to put it!

Maren Stoy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 12:47
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi Maren,

I've redirected your post to the General Low-carb section .. you should get some good ideas here.

Unfortunately, fruit juices and cider are very high in carbs because they contain all the fructose and sugars from the fruit, and no fiber.

One thing you can do to reduce the carbs a bit, is to make a spritzer ... dilute the juice or cider 50:50 with sparkling water, Perrier or club soda. That will reduce the carbs and calories by half.

I don't know of any commercially available low-carb cider beverage though.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 14:04

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet
Stats: 261/236.5/160 Female 5'7"
BF:--%/--%/--%
Progress: 24%

I drink water, Soy Slender Chocolate Milk, Diet V8 Splash, SoBe Lean and Diet Caffeine Free Dr. Pepper. I don't drink all of them every day of course, except the water. I just use them to spice up my diet a bit. I'd go crazy just drinking water. Ick.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 15:00
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I found a hot cider mix with 4 grams of carbs a serving, I believe the brand is Alpine. I found it in the tea section of the supermarket.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 15:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

I have also discovered the Soy slender products. The capichino is so awesome. My daughter loves the chocolate. Its so nice to have a glass of milk again. I use the vannila in my cereal. My wife and daughter drink the v8 splash too they love it.

My Krogers had soy slender for 1.49 this week any flavor
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 16:38
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 240/208/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Doreen,

Thanks for re-directing my post. I mis-spoke myself when I said that I wanted some apple cider--actually it is my husband but I thought that you might be tired of hearing about his cravings so I took the blame. I don't care if I have apple cider or not! To me water or water with a lemon spritzer is just as good. Sorry!! I have lost so much weight and inches and dress sizes just since I have been on this forum that I am not going to do anything that would jepordize (sp.) my success. By the way, we both thought that your bison (venison) swiss steak recipe sounds great and can't wait to try it! We know what venison tastes like (especially if it is corn fed) but what does bison taste like?

Dervish,

I haven't tried Soy milk yet. I just can't bring myself to try it plus it is so expensive. I drink Diet Caffeine Free Pepsi but have never found another Caffeine Free drink except Coke and that I can't stomach. How is the Dr. Pepper? I would like to compare it to Pepsi sometime! About the water that you say "ick" to, have you ever tried it with a spritz of lemon? To me it is quite refreshing.

Potatofree,

Congratulations on your weight loss. I can't believe how easy it is to put the weight on and how hard it is to take it off but you are doing a great job--if you can do it, so can I!!! Also, thanks for the suggestion on the cider mix--I definetly will look for it the next time I go shopping.

Ian559,

It looks like I will have to try the Soy slender products. Question about the V8, does it taste anything like tomato juice? I've never had it but I love tomato juice.

Maren Stoy
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 08:15

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet
Stats: 261/236.5/160 Female 5'7"
BF:--%/--%/--%
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Dervish,

I haven't tried Soy milk yet. I just can't bring myself to try it plus it is so expensive. I drink Diet Caffeine Free Pepsi but have never found another Caffeine Free drink except Coke and that I can't stomach. How is the Dr. Pepper? I would like to compare it to Pepsi sometime! About the water that you say "ick" to, have you ever tried it with a spritz of lemon? To me it is quite refreshing.

Yeah, if you drink the soymilk everyday it can get quite expensive. I usually only drink a cup a few times a week so it's not that bad. The best way I can describe the taste and consistency is that it's like cocoa made with skim milk. I can usually get a container of it at Kroger’s for $1.50 for any flavor.

Diet Dr. Pepper is my favorite diet drink. It's the only diet drink, to me, that resembles its non-diet counterpart the most. The other diet drinks have too much of an aftertaste for my liking.

I've never been a water fan but I'm much better then I used to be. I used to "spike" my water with lemon and sometimes even Splenda but I'm to the point where I can just drink it plain.

Last edited by Dervish : Fri, Oct-10-03 at 08:16.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 08:44
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

The Diet V8 Splash is fruit-flavored. I've only tried the Berry Blend, but it is good, and at 3g a serving, not too bad for a "juice"..

Crystal Light is good, I love the grapefruit flavor! No carbs there, or just a trace.

I'm finding a lot of the flavored waters and drinks a bit too sweet for my taste anymore, so I usually dilute them quite a bit.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 08:51

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I drink Crystal Lite (bottled, made with Splenda) and an occassional diet soda. Mostly I drink water and have my 2 cups of coffee (regular) every morning. I love V8 juice and will drink a small glass every so often but the carbs are much higher. When I do drink it, I just watch the carbs for the rest of the day.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 09:23
~ReFINDing Terry~

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 304/167/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 89%

I thought Crystal Light was made with aspertame??? Did they change to Splenda? That would be great, as aspertame gives me bad headaches...
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 12:32

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Crystal Lite in bottle is made with Splenda.
Crystal Lite powdered form is made from nutra-sweet (asparateme).