Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 05:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 305/260/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Dress Sizes - Just a little rant

I need to rant! I'm SOOO annoyed!

My DH's brother is getting married next weekend. Since I started this woe, one of my unstated goals was to fit in a certain dress that I have and absolutely love, but haven't been able to fit into for years.

Well I almost fit in the dress - it's a little snug when I sit down, so I'm not going to wear it...unless by miracle I lose like 10 pounds between now and then and it fits right.

The kicker is I went to try dresses on yesterday - to my utter shock the dresses I was trying on were size 22 and they fit loose. The dang dress that I can't fit into is a 24! IT'S NOT FAIR!!!!!!!! Why does the dress at home have to be a small 24, when in the store's size 22's are fitting loose!

The one dress that I liked, was too long - so I'm going to have to go out again, and try and find another dress. *SIGH* I'm so annoyed I could scream! I'll probably fit into my old dress a week AFTER the wedding.

Thanks for letting me rant.....I just needed to get that off my chest.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 05:05

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 190/190/90 Female 153
BF:
Progress: 0%

take it easy Plagiomom drink loads of water and dont be too harsh on yourself, your doing really well congratulations on your weight loss. you can do it. just rant and rave but dont comfort eat
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 06:39

Plan: Atkns/CT Weight&Wellness
Stats: 335/272.5/170 Female 5 ft 3 inches
BF:54/51/35
Progress: 38%

And of course, it depends on the style of the dress. And why the heck are so many of the dresses sleeveless! Hellllloooooo... I do not want to show off my arms at this size!

I was trying on size 22's in column style dresses... too tight. I put on a sleeveless wrap around a-line, size 16 and it fits, but was sleeveless! ARG!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 11:15

Plan: low carb-atkins
Stats: 280/170/150 Female 5'8
BF:40/27.5/22
Progress: 85%

I hear ya......and feel free to rant all you want it does make you feel better to tell someone......
I need to buy a dress for Christmas party this year...its a formal event so I need to find something really sexy....Im so not wanting to be dissappointed when I go shopping and find I fit into a larger than anticipated dress.....:sigh:..im gonna wait til I get closer to the date....then rush out and get one...on the hope that I will be thinner I guess......hehe..every little bit of excitement helps......
good luck and you have dont wonderfully so far.....
remove the tag.... the size on the dress is not always the size you are!!!!!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 11:35

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

It is my understanding that manufacturers are doing what they call "vanity sizing":

http://www.biz.uiowa.edu/class/6m10...bfit/vanity.htm

It's why older clothes might not give you the same picture as when you go into a store...like we didn't have enough to think about.

Bet those loose 22's felt good, though!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 12:44
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

i wish that clothes were in inch size rather than some #.. sure no one would be a size 4 but at least it would be easier to find the right size just know what your bust / waist mesurements are i could live with that

Crysania
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 14:59

Stats: 425/322/240 Female 68 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 56%

I agree, Crysania. I've been saying that for years! Of course, most women probably wouldn't like that b/c then people would know what size their waist or bust was. Personally, as long as something fits and looks good, who cares what number is on it? It sure would make it alot harder for manufacturers to mislabel thier clothes.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 18:58
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I agree with Adkpam that clothes are getting larger. I have some size 20s that I bought right after the birth of my first child, almost 18 years ago. They are no where close to fitting. However, I have recently bought several skirts in size 20 that fit -- they are just bigger than the old size 20s. I also have a pair of size 26 pants that are about 15 years old and they fit me comfortably now. However, all my size 26 pants that I bought last winter are huge on me and I can't wear them. Clothes in any given size have just been getting bigger as the population gets bigger.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 21:45

Plan: atkins/now CAD
Stats: 250/229/130 Female 63 inches
BF:yes/it/is
Progress: 18%

I've been reading this thread with interest. I think US sizings are totally different from NZ. The woman whose house I live in is totally thin and she wears a size 10. The smallest size I've ever seen in the shops here is a size 8. So I'd be interested to know how your sizes work. I find that here the cheaper stores seem to have larger sizing, not just larger sizes.
I have a pair of size 18 all elastic waist pants that I bought as incentive, I can get them on reasonably comfortably now. Another pair of 18's I bought from another store are just about falling of me. Yet another pair that are only 1/2 elastic won't even pull up over my butt.
I read in the paper the other day, that they're going to standardise the sizes, but then some styles are designed to be loose anyway.
The annoying thing is it's nice to buy a couple of things in a smaller size when I see them in a sale, but I want to know how long I'll have to wait, not find they're actually 3 sized smaller not one.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 23:11
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
The annoying thing is it's nice to buy a couple of things in a smaller size when I see them in a sale, but I want to know how long I'll have to wait, not find they're actually 3 sized smaller not one.

that is how i feel i see all these cool outfits and i have no clue what size i can even get down to much less what size they really are or when i will be able to wear it
i have noticed though that some of the older dresses i have in size 22 are actully closer to a size 18 in the sizes now maybe that is why i stayed the same dress size since i was 13 lol...

Crysania