Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 06:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 166/125.5/130 Female 66"
BF:24%
Progress: 113%
Default Nice story to share

I went yesterday to pick dh up from work. One of his co-workers asked how Atkins was going for me. I was kind of shocked because I hadn't told anyone outside of a couple close friends that I was doing Atkins. But I said, "Great! I've lost 21 pounds!" He complimented me and then said his wife and himself are doing CAD and have done very well too. He's lost 30 and she's lost 20. So of course I complimented them both on their loss. He and I had a 15 minute conversation about the differences and similarities of our WOEs and our favorite things to eat. It was a really good talk. So nice to talk to someone in person who understands first hand about Lo Carbing.

It seems that this coworker mentioned that he was doing CAD to dh. Dh told him that I was doing Atkins because they sounded similar to him. Come to find out, dh has been telling everyone who will stand still long enough about my WOE, including a coworker who suffers from diabetes. It made me feel good to know that dh believes in my WOE and is proud of me enough to tell everyone. Unfortunately, the guy with diabetes (he even has the diabetic sores on his feet!) said that he simply couldn't give up bread no matter what.

As I was leaving, another co-worker came up to me (having overheard some of the conversation) and said he'd been wanting to tell me that whatever I was doing was working because I "looked so great"!!!!!!! I thanked him for noticing. And he said, "I've been married for 19 years. I've learned that I better notice things!"

All around, I'll rate yesterday as one of the best days I've had.

Julie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 07:21
~ReFINDing Terry~

Stats: 304/167/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 89%
Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing - you sure gave me a smile! And congrats on being such a great loser!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 09:08

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Yay! We love days like that! Congratulations on your fantastic success and keep on with the inspiration girl!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 09:12
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Woo hoo, Julie!

And another woo hoo to your husband!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 09:13
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

You've earned it. Good job.

I feel for the diabetic guy, really, I had that feeling of never being able to give up bread. Luckily, I tricked myself into it by saying I was only going to TRY Atkins for two weeks.... That voice that says "I can't" really means "I'm addicted, and afraid to try."
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 09:38

Stats: 166/125.5/130 Female 66"
BF:24%
Progress: 113%

Thanks for all the support (as usual!!). Dh is one of those people who has no problem talking about any and every thing to anyone and has no shame about it either It's never boring when he's around I'll say that.

But seriously, Tato, I feel for the diabetic too since he's on his feet all day and dh told me he has those sores (plus he's overweight) but you can't help everyone so I just hope with 2 people around him doing lo carb maybe he'll get the message by example. I can't imagine wanting bread so badly that I'd rather be in pain than do without!!

But bread's really never been my downfall. I never have been a big bread eater, don't really like sandwiches etc. My downfall is salty snacks -- there's been days I would have committed murder for a bag of chips and the KFC right next door to dh's work is a test of my ability to ignore cravings 'cause it smells so good. I just try not to even look at the pizza place on the other side!!!

*whine* Why do they always put those kind of places all together anyhow? And how come my 2 favorite fast food joints have to be right there, one on either side of his work? *whine*

Julie

Last edited by JulieL : Thu, Oct-09-03 at 09:42.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 10:54

Plan: Atkns/CT Weight&Wellness
Stats: 335/272.5/170 Female 5 ft 3 inches
BF:54/51/35
Progress: 38%

What a great story. Initially, I of course have so much weight to lose, I felt embarrassed when my DH would talk about it or mention it in front of everyone.

Then I kinda realized that it was ok, because I was doing this for my well-being and am NOT ashamed of THAT, regarless of my weight.

My loss in inches has been pretty good (i just completed week 8) and I have lost somewhere around 25lbs.

The other day a friend of my dh was over and said "WOW - Ray was right, you are doing great on your new diet". I felt good, not embarrassed at all, and said "Its a new way of EATING, not a diet"

And my dh looked at him and said "see - I told you she was committed" I felt so good to know he had talked about me as someone committed to this woe!

That was the first REAL time I felt he openly supported me.

Congrats on your progress and on spreading the LC gospel!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 11:31

Plan: Dukan & Running
Stats: 195.2/155.4/155 Female 5'9.5"
BF:Jigglin'/less/firm
Progress: 99%

I've had a few days like that too- believe me, this one won't be your last! I had customers all of a sudden say things like "I don't mean to get personal, but you look like you've lost a lot of weight- you look great!" And I have realized that loads of people are doing it too! It is SO great to talk about it, it's like a religion that I want to convert people to!
And the best part is that alot of people have started doing Atkins because they saw how well I was doing on it. Isn't that the best feeling?