Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 18:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 166/160/136 Female 5'6
BF:30%???? (too much)
Progress: 20%
Unhappy What am I doing wrong?!?!?

Hello everyone!

I'm yet another newbie and am getting very frustrated with the Atkins program! I have been low-carbing for almost four weeks. I totally cut out all the bad stuff like sugar, starches...you know, all the things that make us look the way we shouldn't! I've been following the diet to a "t" and have never cheated...EVER! I've been going to the gym, doing cardio, lifting weights...but I've only lost 6 pounds!!! I decided to stay in the induction phase thinking my body would catch on by now. I'm getting VERY frustrated! Does anyone have any input/suggestions/similar experiences????

Please let me know what you guys think!

Thanks,

Bones
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 18:47
Carb Nazi

Stats: 260/255/160 Male 6'0
BF:YES!
Progress: 5%

Bones... first of all 6 pounds in six weeks ain't bad my friend. You should post everything you put in your mouth for a few days on here and let the experts critique. My guess is you are getting some hiden carbs... are you in ketosis? Are you using the strips? Mike
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 18:54

I haven't used the "strips". I work for an oncologist who inspired me to start Atkins after he lost 37 lbs. I am following his lead by just sticking to the "rules". I suspect I may not be eating enough calories but hey...if I'm not hungry...! Actually it's 6 lbs. in under 4 weeks. Everyone else I've talked to who has tried Atkins had a pretty sizable weight loss w/i the first two weeks. My weakness is cream in my coffee...but that's the only bend...I swear!!! (thanks for the quick response to my message!)
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 18:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 283/250.5/190 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Were you working out so much before you started Atkins? If so, your metabolism was probably already elevated, and you're going to get less of "metabolic advantage" than someone who does not exercise. That might cause you to lose at a steady rate, rather than the big drop some people see at the start.

I agree with Mike, 6 lbs. is a great start and you should start a journal and post your menu for a few days.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 19:01

Here's the sad part...Three 1/2 years ago I was a fitness competitor with about 9% body fat. I worked for over 3 years to get this way and competed 2 more years after I achieved my "competitive" body. I finally burned out (training 6 days a week, planning every morsel that went in my mouth every 3 hours, etc.). I haven't been in a gym for ANY reason since I hung up my bikini. I thought hitting it hard in the gym for the last two weeks would really shock my body in burning some insulation...nope! Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 20:04
Registered Member

Stats: 145/135/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 67%

It could easily be that you are building more muscle, and as we all know, muscle weighs more than fat.

I'd suggest measuring yourself (chest, waist, hips, arms, etc) and do that as often as you want - chances are you could be losing inches and not even know it.

Also - make sure you are eating enough. If you don't, your body will think you are starving it. So for sure it the veggies every day and try to get some meat in for lunch and dinner... even if you aren't that hungry.

Good luck! Hang in there!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 20:33
Registered Member

Stats: 223/201/175 Female 63 inches
BF:Want Some of mine?
Progress: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones1
My weakness is cream in my coffee...but that's the only bend...I swear!!!

You may need to purchase the Atkins book or go to the Atkins website to be clear on what foods are and aren't allowed...cream, specifically heavy cream IS allowed. Maybe you are eating the wrong foods or amounts of foods.

Also, the less a person has to lose, the slower it comes off. I think the 6 pounds is great!

Good Luck!

Jaimie

Last edited by DrmCorpMom : Wed, Oct-08-03 at 20:38.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 21:29

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Just relax about it, 6 pounds is not bad, if you have also been hitting the gym, you know you are trading in some fat for muscle, Right?
Just keep at it you'll do fine, as well have a look at my records below, it's not an easy even road, LOL.
AS well if your boss is a male ( geex, hope you are a female?) anyhow men lose faster, so don't compare yourself.
Your profile says you've read the book, just keep at it

Good Luck Kathy

Last edited by Kathy54 : Wed, Oct-08-03 at 21:30.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 22:08
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

On average people can expect to lose 10% of the weight they need to on induction, and 5% each month after that. This is an average, some lose faster and some lose slower.

You have a total of 30 pounds you want to lose. You have already lost 6, which means you have lost around 20%. Not only are you not losing slow, you are losing very fast. If your body fat is already low, and you are just trying to push it lower into the athletic range, then your loss will be even slower and more tied in with your exercise.

With the cardio, lifting weights, and getting mroe protien you are probably also adding muscle. Make sure you are eating enough calories to support that.

Things that are important to remember:

Atkins is a way of life to reach better health and a healthy weight, it is not a crash diet.

Atkins is not a high protien diet. It is an adiquet protien, low carb, high fat diet. While in induction around 60-70% of your calories should come from fat. As you increase your carb levels you decrease your fat, keeping calories and protien about the same. (most people lkower calories as thier body doesn't need as many the smaller it gets.)

Make sure to measure, especially with heavy weight lifting. As you lose fat you are probably also gaining muscle. In the last 5 weeks I have lost all of 2 pounds total, and the scale has been jumping around like crazy. If I have been measuring right though I have gone from almost 28% body fat to around 24% body fat. Measure everywhere, and be sure to get your current body fat checked. It is much better to shoot for a healthy body fat and good muscle tone then it is to worry about the scale.

Remember no one but you see's the number on the scale. Everyone will be able to see six pack abs, or smaller jeans though.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 05:12

Thumbs up

Thank you EVERYONE for your support and positivie input! Sorry I just now read them...I was bummed last night and decided to go to bed after my last post. Kathy, yes I'm a female, possibly even peri-menopausal so I should be realistic and know that the weight isn't going to just fall off! BUT TELL MY SIZE 6 JEANS THAT!!! They are waiting to be worn again and I'm very impatient...nahhhh! I guess I should add that I have always had an athletic body and I'm losing the same 25-30 pounds for the 800th time in my life!!!

Again, I really appreciate all the support! I was feeling sorry for myself and was ready to totally trash the diet last night-pathetic, eh? My poison of choice was a bag of Muncho's which ironically do not contain ANY SUGAR! Now that I've had my cheat I will get back on the wagon. I guess it could have been a lot worse as I REALLY wanted a pint of Ben & Jerry's or something.
I'm proud of all of you for sticking to your guns and the way everyone here is such a cheerleader for each other. Does anyone want to be my buddy? I promise I won't be a whiner for at least another 24 hours! When I was training for competitions I employed a personal torturer (trainer) so I know all the right things to say as far as motivation! AND I will try to figure out how to add emoticons and color in my future messages.

(BTW, I have read "the book" about 6 times and have a carb counter book to refer to also.)

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR RESPONSES TO MY WHINING!!!!

Stacy (and Dolce, my dog who has to listen to the whining full time!)
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 05:29

Talking

O.K...you guys are right...I just got out the tape measure out again and found I have lost 1/2" EVERYWHERE (except my chest & hips Doh!)

I hate to admit it but my (always skinny) mother is right:

"You didn't put it (weight) on in one day!!!!"

Grrrrrrrrrr! I still hate it when she's right!

Stacy