Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 09:01
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 185/163/165 Male 72 inches
BF:na/12%/na
Progress: 110%
Default Need clarification on mixed salads.

I am Type 1. I have been on Dr. B's treatment plan since May 3, 2003. My weight has gone from 185lbs to 150lbs. I am 6 ft tall. I wanted my weight to be at 170 and now I would kill to be at 160lbs. I'm concerned that maybe I am not getting enough carbo's. Dr. B states that 2 cups of "mixed" salad with dressing or 1-1/3 cups of cooked vegetables = 12 grams of carbs. I have lived by this rule since I started the diet. I eat 5oz protein for breakfast, 5oz for lunch and 6oz for dinner everyday. I eat salads 90% of the time and vegetables 10% of the time. I eat 2 cups of salad(raw spinach, red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce, romaine, or a combination), 5-7 black olives, with dressing(Good Season's Italian dressing mix made with extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar) at lunch and dinner. I have my insulin dialed in very precisely and my sugars are doing great. However, I keep losing weight. My wife thinks that I am anorexic. When I look at the carbs in salads and vegetables they just do not add up as Dr. B states. Am I missing something here? Should I be adding something to these salads?
I have tried eating almonds; however 1oz will raise my bg 20-30pts 5-6 hrs after I eat them. I put heavy whipping cream in my diet coke all day long. I consume about 1/4 to 3/8 pint of cream everyday. My weight leveled off at about 158lbs until I started taking ALO/EPO and stopped taking Vitamin C. Since starting the ALO/EPO and stopping the Vitamin C my weight has dropped 6-8lbs and my insulin requirements have gone down. Since starting Dr. B's program back in May, my total daily dose of insulin has gone from 60 units (24 basal, 36 meal boluses) to less than 14 units (10 units basal, 3.75-4 units meal boluses). I feel I need to eat more carbs to allow for more insulin and to help gain weight. But I want to do it the right way. Does anyone see what I may be missing? Should I try to add more protein to my diet? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Last edited by mark-tn : Wed, Oct-08-03 at 09:04.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 10:43

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default weight loss

I won't go into how lucky I think you are to be able to lose weight!
I'm type 2 so don't really know about the use of insulin. In Dr B's book, he does mention that if you don't lose weight on his diet, you should gradually reduce your protein intake. Maybe the opposite is also true. Perhaps you should add protein. And, you may need more carbs. Try some green beans, broccoli, or cauliflower in addition to your salad. Some strawberries or raspberries would also be a good carb addition.
Have you ever figured up how many calories you are getting every day? It sounds like you are not getting enough to eat.
Let us know how you get this worked out.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 10:45

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default ps

Try adding some cheese to the veggies to get the calorie level up.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 11:02

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

hi mark,i struggle with the same problem as you.with low insulin levels its very hard to keep the weight up.My hubby thinks the same as your wife,hes sure i,m annorexic and i,m not,its just very hard to gain weight without putting up bgs.
My mixed salads contain,any greens,peppers,spring onion,cucumber,radishes and cherry tomatoes,I chop these up and dress with olive oil.Its a lot more interesting than just plain greens although you can,t have as much.I use fat to try keep the weight up,any oils,cheese,pork rinds and calorie dense peanut butter,butter on veggies and cook with cream.You might need to raise your insulin a touch until you stop losing weight so you can add a little more to your diet.I personally can,t handle too much protein,it affects bgs,i prefer to up the fat.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 12:12
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 185/170/175 Male 6 foot
BF:Who Knows/Cares
Progress: 150%

Mark,

Assuming that your kidneys are functioning fine, increase your protein and fat consumption. If you do that you will be able to gain weight... Remember it must add up; the number of calories required not to loose weight and the number of calories that you are consuming.

I have had the same issues as you -

Adam
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 10:49
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 185/163/165 Male 72 inches
BF:na/12%/na
Progress: 110%

Thanks for the tips. I am going to start by figuring out my daily consumption of caleries and going from there. I think I will start with adding more fat and maybe a few more carbs(more variety of veggies in my salads. I've started a journal http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...077#post1460077 where I will update my progess. Be warned, my journal starts out with a very lengthy introduction about my life with diabetes. Read it at your own risk.

Thanks
Mark