Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 20:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/183/160 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 54%
Exclamation Can a Person have to many Calories????

Just wondering if a person can have too many calories. Today was a really different day of meal planning. I had 2300 calories, but did keep my carbs down. This is kinda a silly question!!!!!!!!!! I have been losing on Atkins, and always keeping my carbs down, and not really concerned about the calories till i posted on Fitday........and it surprised me.

Todays Menu was

2 cups coffee
scrambled eggs 2 with bacon bits

Lunch
chef salad with vinegar/olive oil
with gr. peppers, bacon bits, cheese, etc.

Supper
This is kinda weird....we were at ballgame
polish sausage no bun
some summer sausage
string cheese

What do you think?????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 20:56

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hi there, I think the reason the calories are high is cause of the processed meats, which you also have to watch the sodium content,hidden carbs, more than the calories.
Did you have any other veggis than the Gr. peppers and lettuce?? If not you could use some more

Kathy
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 21:48
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Polish sausages are really bad, they are almost 700 calories on thier own

If you are losing, then don't worry. Just be sure to stop when you are satisfied, even if that means leaving some on your plate. As you near goal you may have to start watching calories, but don't worry about it until you have to. If you go for the recomended 10-12x your current weight, you didn't have to many at all Don't shoot for any numbers, except to make sure you are eating enough. As appitite supression kicks in, it is really easy to fall below the number of calories you need, even with 3 meals a day and a snack.

Cutting out the processed meats though would help in many ways. Most contain sugars, not to mention other fillers which add uneeded carbs. They are also extreamly high in sodium which can lead to nasty water retention. I can understand though at games and family affairs you get the lesser of two evils and just stick to LC (I had a great polish sausage with jalapeno relish on the 4th of july. Dang I love that relish)
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 05:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 260/250/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 10%

I was like you, didn't even think about calories until I found fit-day in April. In the beginning I was eating 2500-3000 calories a day and still losing. Gradually that went down to averaging about 1600-1900. I've heard though that after you've been on Atkins awhile you should gradually adjust to 10-12x your goal weight.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 09:00
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone..........for your advice and comments!!!

Its just nice to get everyone input on if you are doing things right!!

Anyway this morning after worrying about the calories........i was down a pound.......go figure!!

Well today i visit the doctor for check up.......we will see what he says!!!

Thanks everyone for the info!!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 10:20
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

Just remember, doctors scales are evil. Not only do you have all the weight of clothing (the plasma place won't even let me take off my shoes!!!!) you also have the weight of all the food and water from the day. Don't be mad when it reads more then your home scale does. Just remember it will read less then last time you were in there, and next time it will be even lower
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 21:46
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up Good News!!!

Good News!!! Went to the doctor for my yearly thing, and told the doctor i was doing the Atkins diet after he gave me the OK. Well he told me that there is nothing wrong with the atkins diet. Although he told me to be taking the Omega 3's, or 5's.

Anyone know much about that??????? I was checking at the Health Food store and found some that have Omega 3, 5, & 9 all in one.

Anyway the best news is I have lost 14 lbs since i was there last.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 22:23
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

Salmon oil, fish oil, and flax seed oil All are good for the omegas.

I found some flax that had cinnimon oil added. It tasted great, but gave me heartburn. I swithed to a high lanolin (?) one now tha tis just nasty. You can also buy fish oil at any pharmacy, and hemp oil at health food stores.

Just remember to look at what else is there. Oils you drink usually aren't to bad. Pills though can have hidden starches and sugars (This is more for other suppliments then oils).

Really on Atkins you should be making sure to take a good multivaitamin (I like twinlabs as it has no extras), calcium, potassium, and magnesium. The oils are a good idea for omegas, then after that just what suppliments you aren't getting from your regular diet, or that you feel may help. ( am begining to htin I take to bleepin many, but am scared to give any up in case it makes me stop losing :P )
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 00:56

Plan: Fuhrmann
Stats: 248/229.5/170 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Udo Erasmus, author of Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill advertises on this website. This book is *extremely* well written; he should teach courses in technical writing. His website is udoerasmus.com

Flax oil is excellent for alpha-linolenic acid, the essential w3, which is deficient in most diets.

Linoleic acid, the essential w6 is available in many nuts, seeds and unrefined oils.

Oily fish like salmon contain these two plus other beneficial fatty acids.

In Canada, hemp oil is available, and is an excellent source of both EFAs, in balanced proportions. As hemp is related to marijuana (same species, different cultivar), it may be difficult to obtain the oil in some jurisdictions. I don't see it mentioned on any U.S. diet websites.

Virgin or extra virgin olive oil contains a high proportion of monounsaturate w9. This oil is beneficial for reasons not completely understood. The benefits could be coming from minor components in the oil.

BTW, I agree with your doctor about the w3 and w6. Proportionally, I am aiming for a high fat content in my diet. Therefore I am concerned about fat quality. So after reading Atkins, I promptly started on Erasmus' book.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 09:14

Stats: 250/230/165 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 24%

I can only say from my own experience is that I need to keep my calories at or below 1500 to lose.

The first two weeks of induction it didn't matter but then every week after that it did.

Everyone is different, and it depends on your level of activity, my hubby can eat 2400 and still lose, but thats because he goes 24/7 where I sit all day at my job.