Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 10:52

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 417/213/117 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Coffee Drinkers

For those of you who drink coffee I am wondering about the different flavored coffees. I know that cappacino is not safe. I know we can't have vanilla cappacino etc. and things like that b/c they have sugar. But when you go in the coffee section you can often get the types of coffee that are labeled as vanilla nut and you grind it up yourself. Millhouse has all these different kinds. I am wondering if these are safe. They don't list ingredients but there is mocha and vanillla and things like that is that safe?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 10:58
Alan Rickman Addict

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/139/155 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 125%

I don't know exactly what's in them, but I've been drinking flavored coffees (Chocolate Macadamia, Creme Bruelle, etc) the whole time I've been on Atkins and had no problems. I think it's a YMMV kind of thing though.

HTH!

#3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 11:00

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 417/213/117 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 68%

Perhaps I'm a moron but what's YMMV? That's one I haven't heard before!!

I know that vanilla cappacino and things of that nature are totally off I just wonder about those other coffees. They never list ingredients so how do they get the vanilla or mocha flavor. Is the bean just grown that way?? I'm a big time sugar addict so I'm afraid to touch anything that has sugar in it.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 11:40

Stats: 166/125.5/130 Female 66"
BF:24%
Progress: 113%

I can't answer your first question, but I can answer your second. I used to work at a coffee shop where they roasted and flavored their own coffees. The beans are NOT grown in different flavors. They came to the shop as plain beans, then the owner flavored them with a combination of spices (cinnamon, sugar, etc) and/or flavorings (usually extracts), and then they were roasted. Or maybe they were roasted and then flavored I can't really remember.

I don't know what brand your store carries, but I saw Community brand at my store. According to their website:

"We use liquid flavor extracts to add just the right touch of flavor to our flavored coffee line." and "Do your regular or flavored coffees contain calories, carbohydrates or cholesterol?
Technically, yes. But the trace amounts contained in coffee are considered dietetically insignificant. So you can enjoy our coffees without any guilt."

I couldn't find a single site that gave actual nutritional info for their coffees so I guess you need to decide if you want to chance it.

Julie

Last edited by JulieL : Mon, Oct-06-03 at 11:49.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 11:44
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Armywife,
YMMV means "your mileage may vary." People use the phrase to describe something that affects different people in different ways, like sugar alcohols or aspartame. It just means that everyone's body is unique and what works for one person might not work for another!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 13:05
Don't Call Me Sugar

Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%
Smile Coffee

I think the flavored coffees are usually coated with oils. I think once you eat LC for a while you can detect sugar even in small amounts, so if you think you taste sugar...you probably do!

And hey, you can occasionally have cappuccino. Just order it short and breve - breve means they use half and half.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 13:37

Plan: Keto
Stats: 270/265/170 Male 68 inches
BF:43%/35%/10%
Progress: 5%

I used to go the coffee shops (locally owned, not corporate entities ) all the time... they will work with you... never had a problem... I just usually order the house blend... (trying to keep exciting ) If I must, I may throw a packet of Sweet-n-Low, but usually drink it no cream, no sweetner...

Have a great, productive day!
Korry

Last edited by korry1977 : Mon, Oct-06-03 at 13:38.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 14:55

Stats: 156/135.5/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:

I have also been drinking flavored coffee all along my journey. I usually put a splash of Davinci Sugar Free syrup into it also. French Vanilla is the only one I've tried so far but I am on my way to my fav low carb store tomorrow for some other varieties
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 17:58
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

One coffee company stated that all of thier flavoured coffees had no carbs and were just infused with essances, except for the ones involving chocolate in the name.

This is for the whole bean kind you grind and stick in a coffee pot though. Most drinks at coffee shops are flavored with chocolate syrup, or sugary syrups. Even the sugar free ones, the milk or cream is to much.

Go ahead and get the millstone brand, just not chocolate kinds. Folgers is also coming out with flavored ones now including vanilla and hazlenut. The vanilla was interesting, I haven't opened up my hazlenut can yet
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 01:02

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%

I know I must have posted this idea a couple times on other threads...but, have you considered making the coffee without the flavoring...and adding one or two ounces of RTD Atkins shake to each cup? The Chocolate Royale, Chocolate Delight, and Creamy Vanilla are delicious in coffee, and the Cafe' aulait flavor isn't bad either. The only one I wouldn't use is the Strawberry...I just can't imagine strawberry coffee...but the others are great!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 08:29

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

I drink two large Hazelnut Vanilla with half/half every morning - no problems.

VIkki
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 09:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

hazelnut and vanilla is also my drink, and for a rare treat ill top it with chocolate whipping cream, cant get much better then that!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 10:49

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I work very closely with an international coffee roaster here in the Seattle area. I have to go to their plant frequently, so I see the beans come in from other countries. I see them roasted the old fashioned way. I also visit the flavor room, which are vats of oils with different flavors. They are poured over the beans and roasted in.

I usually use my plain fresh-roasted beans by adding a bit of s/f syrup.

Enjoy your cup of coffee, with cream, of course.
Vikki and Ski: Yum for hazelnut!

Annie-Pie