Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 09:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/196/135 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Beer

I go to Virginia Tech and there are a LOT of parties that I attend, usually serving carb-filled beer. I don't want to be the party pooper and not have a good time and I just can't lug around diet coke and rum all over town. Has anyone drank beer on the weekends and been ok this diet? (I would put this in the college students forum but hardly anyone ever goes in there!)

Last edited by GoHokies05 : Tue, Oct-07-03 at 09:04.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 09:07

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

Some people say they are okay with beer / alcohol on weekends - but most aren't - alcohol burns off before fat, so you end up not losing, and in my case, I gain water weight from booze. This weekend is Thanksgiving in Canada - I plan on having 2 white wine spritzers with my dinner, that's all and increase my water the day of and day after to get rid of the weight faster. Also, if I remember correctly, in college, most drink more anyway.

Vikki
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 09:28

Stats: 150/139/120 Female 5 ft. 4 in.
BF:
Progress: 37%

We are huge University of Texas fans here Go Horns!!! And believe me especially now--in football season there are alot of tailgating parties going on....I have tired the michelob ultra and it is really not that bad--just a little more expensive though , so I usually end up drinking bud light anyways.....

It hasn't made me gain any...but I have not lost any either...so, I am sure it is hindering my weight loss...I have just started limiting myself to one drinking night a weekend instead of 2 or 3--and then I drink lots and lots of water all week long and exercise to burn it off quickly...
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 09:33

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hi there, well, it's been seen on this board many times that undoing what you've done all week, by blowing it on the weekends, can equal no weight loss, time and again .

And O.K. I'm a Mom of a almost 20 year in 2nd Tech school living in a dorm,
so you're comment

Quote:
I don't want to be the party pooper and not have a good time

Kind of worries me, you can make the decision for yourself and no one elses pleasure If you really want to stick to the plan then, decide that before you go, and order yourself a big glass of ice water with Lime or Lemon, and if any one asks, tell them your in between beers! And if you find you really can't do with out one, then drink a ton of water after it.

Anyhow there is nothing wrong with going to these functions and not drinking, lots do it, don't worry about what others think, focus on what "they" may think when you have lost all the weight you want instead

Good Luck, have fun Kathy
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 11:07
~version 2.0~

Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

You know... what i do... I either have Rum and Diet w/ a splash of lime juice... or white wine...

I have tried the LC Beers... but they just taste watered down...
And they still have to many carbs to make me enjoy them... I am always thinking... this is soooo screwing up my weight lose... and then put it down before i finish it.

I would say skip the beer... if at all possible...
and don't give into peer pressure... if you don't want beer then don't drink beer...

It does slow me down on losing though... and I feel like hell in the morning... worse hang overs on LC'ing ya know.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 12:48
Doctor Dirt

Stats: 218.2/195.0/145 Female 5'9"
BF:43.6%/31.0%/22.0%
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinie
We are huge University of Texas fans here Go Horns!!! And believe me especially now--in football season there are alot of tailgating parties going on....I have tired the michelob ultra and it is really not that bad--just a little more expensive though , so I usually end up drinking bud light anyways.....

I agree with all of this (except the Longhorn part, being a Duke Blue Devil myself ). The Michelob Ultra isn't bad at all, especially if you've been low-carbing for awhile and aren't used to drinking the "good" beer. Do they ever have lite options available for you at Va Tech parties? Bud lite and Miller lite are low in carbs. But you HAVE to keep it in control -- you can't be drinking 5 or 6 beers a night and still lose weight -- I find that a beer or two at the most every once in awhile, PLUS a vigorous exercise program, is keeping me losing.

Jeannie
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 12:53

There is also a Vodka cooler that is 1 gm on the market,not everywhere in the US yet, and not in Canada for a long while yet.

Vikki
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 12:54
Low Carb Cowgirl

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 210/174/145 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 55%

I drink the Ultra myself when we go out and as long as it is cold, I don't have a problem with it. I drink a beer then drink lots of water. The lo carb hangover mentioned earlier is real, and if you don't get enough water, you will be seriously hurting.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 13:06
Registered Member

Stats: 235/170/160 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quite honestly, I drink every weekend. That's my lifestyle. The one thing I won't change. In the four weeks since I have started, Friday and Saturday nights include beer. I have recently switched to Miller Lite, since I can drink twice as many as Bud Light for the same carb count. I lose a pound or two each day all week, then on the weekends, I do not lose anything. I do not gain, either. So far, I am satisfied with the results.

One thing, though - drink as MUCH water as you possibly can before, during and after drinking.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 13:47

Stats: 220/160/160 Female 5'8"
BF:24.3
Progress: 100%

Hey everyone...I am a little different in my opinion. I have been doing the low carb option for quite a while. Once in a while I will have a strawberry marguarita or two and it actually helps me lose more. This past weekend we went to a bar in Bowling Green and I didn't want to opt for a fancy drink so I just did shots of black velvet. I was just in a mood that I wanted to have a great time. I ended up downing 3 shots of that and then we went back to a friends house to sober up and I tried the Michalobe ultra light and well it was quite alright. But I guess I was buzzing at the time also. So anything would have tasted alright at that time. Anyways I was just trying to say that the next morning I stepped on the scale and ended up losing 3 lbs from draining myself so much. It was great. Just goes to prove that I guess not everyone's body reacts the same to alcohol.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 14:04

I bet you felt like crap though, lol.

Vikki
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 14:18

Plan: Keto
Stats: 270/265/170 Male 68 inches
BF:43%/35%/10%
Progress: 5%

Michelob Ultra tastes like... ah.... well it doesnt really have a taste.... Miller Lite is your next best bet. Usually they have here Big ?ss Beer Night every Wednesday for $1.75 domestic or $2.75 import 22 oz beers... Just dont binge on Jack-n-Box, getting the Ultimate Cheeseburger with Super Size Fries and a Coke at 3:45 AM because your hungry.... and drunk.. Used to that back in undergrad 4 years ago...

Last edited by korry1977 : Tue, Oct-07-03 at 14:19.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 14:24

Stats: 259/191/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%

I worry about folks that feel that they must drink to have a good time. I suppose the logic in it is that sometimes the people at the functions are not tolerable unless one has been drinking; drunks and their antics are hard to tolerate when one is sober.

Things to ponder...
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 14:35

Stats: 150/139/120 Female 5 ft. 4 in.
BF:
Progress: 37%

That is quite true azuremoon...I can tell you from experience--that hanging around alot of drunken people is quite un-nerving! Especially when they start telling the same story that they just told you 5 minutes earlier.....and wonder why you aren't listening!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 14:46
Registered Member

Stats: 185/151.2/135 Female 67 inches
BF:36%/17%/12%
Progress: 68%

AHHHHHH!!! I work at a microbrewery and the beer here is AWESOME. It's so hard to resist. I usually do pretty well, except for once in a while when it's something different. Beer has been one of the hardest things to give up. I used to even brew it myself at home. No wonder I was so big! -- Which is what I remind myself of every time I want to indulge. If I even mentioned to anyone here that I even tried Micholob Ultra I'd be in BIG trouble -- because we make "REAL" beer here. :-)