Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 13:29
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 315/274/175 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default in ketosis, should i stop worrying????

ok i had most of the symptoms of ketosis but was so sure i was doing something wrong...eating too much, wrong stuff, etc. so i bought the sticks. well, they are deep purple so...should i stop worrying?? should i keep doing what i am doing?? is it possible to be screwing up and still be in ketosis and, if so, does it matter???

oh and i just have to add that this forum and this diet are UN-BE-LIEVABLE!! even if i never lose a pound i can feel the difference inside. i have had major problems the past few years, like "cycling" only twice a year or so (i'm only 25). well, 5 days after i started this woe...guess what??? TOM returned. never thought i'd be so happy about that.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 13:36

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

If your sticks are purple it means that you're not drinking enough water, however, having said that, they could be defective - those sticks are very very tempermental, affected by humidy from the bathroom, age, etc. Take your measurements, record your food on fitday - what is your daily / weekly menu, you need to be sure you're eating enough and eating correctly - percentage wise

Vikki
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 13:36
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I think if they reassure you it's fine. The DARK color may also indicate you need to drink more water as well as that you're burning fat. For more info on the readings, go up to the orange bar at the top of the page, click "Low Carb Tips" and you'll find a really good article about the ins and outs of the ketostix.

I'm so glad you're noticing an improvement in your health!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 13:39
~version 2.0~

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

Congratulation on starting this WOL... and Welcome!!
I think I've heard this about KetoStix... if it is pink at all you are burning fat.... it is like you are pregnant or your not... So you did it... you are burning fat
What have you been eating?? Why do you think you are eating too much?? Too many veggies.. or cheese or cream??
Cuz you can eat as much protien and fat as you want ..
Hurray!!!

Good luck... and nice to meet you...
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 13:46

Oh yes, I forgot to mention, the purple indicates your burning fat - so yes, stop worrying!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 13:51
Registered Member

BF:

thanks for all your replies. i should have been more specific about the sticks. i just got them in the mail and i really was using them to double check myself...afterall, i have no experience in assessing whether i am in ketosis or not (i'm sure in time it'll be easier). and they were pretty deep pink/purple...not the last color on the chart but the second to last.
also with the water, i have always drank a ton. so far today i have already drank ~ 8 glasses so i cant imagine that i am not getting enough.

anyway i guess its more that i dont feel like i am depriving myself too much...thus the feeling of "eating too much." and even though i chart on fitday, i sometimes feel like, "oops, i think i had 5 ounces of cheese" or something like that. i count that as cheating but if i still am in ketosis, does it matter????
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 13:55
Low Carb Cowgirl

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 210/174/145 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 55%

I have never used the stix and I spent the first month second guessing and wondering about ketosis. Now that I have calmed down about it I see some of the other side effects of ketosis and am pretty sure I am their. The metalic taste in my mouth, the keto breath and don't forget, losing 20 pounds.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 14:02

I don't think you're drinking enough - 8 glass is a minimum guideline - you should drink 8 glasses + 1 glass per every 25 lbs. you want to lose. I drink 100 + ozs per day just at work, then 3 to 4 extras when I get home - yep, I'm up a couple of time in the night, but I feel better with drinking the water.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 22:48
Registered Member

BF:

well...i definately dont drink that many so i guess its possible that i need more water. i've always been drinking about 12-14 glasses a day (way before atkins) so do you think that i need to drink even more now??? i dont know, even though its in the correct range, its what i was ALWAYS drinking so maybe i need extra.