Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 10:26
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default HIIT cardio and HR zones

Hi All:

I decided to try dust the cobwebs off my HR monitor for this morning's HIIT cardio. My 9s were 90% of my maximum heart rate and my 10 was 95%, putting me in Zone 5 for my 9s and 10s.

Does anyone else use a HR monitor? Is this about right or am I ready to give myself a heart attack?

Thanks,
Wanda
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 11:01
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I need to remember how to do the math for target harat rate. Some of the eliptical machiens at the gym have sensores to give heart rate, but I have no clue what percentage I hit just the number of beats per min.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 11:23
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Ladybelle:

Sorry, I should have given that info.

My chart shows for 90-100% HR, the min HR is 169 (90%) and the max HR for that zone is 188 (100%). So I'd have been around 169 for my 9s and about 178 for my 10.

Thanks,
Wanda
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 08:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi Wanda, that's exactly how I do HIIT. According to the calculation I heard (200 minus half your age) my max. heart rate is 183. So I decided that 140 would be my level 5 and 180 would be my 10. So my 6 is 148, 7 is 156 and so forth. It was hard keeping track minute by minute at first, but I've gotten used to it by now.

Last edited by SarahO : Wed, Oct-08-03 at 08:03.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 10:30
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Sarah:

I wish I had thought of that! What a great idea. My treadmill has a custom feature on it, which is a Godsend for this type of HIIT, so I'm going to adjust it based on my heart rate for each level. Should be interesting to see how it compares.

Hmmmm.... at my maximum heart rate (188), maybe I should aim my intensity 10 to about 185. I'll see how it feels. At 95% (178), I didn't feel like I could go harder, but maybe it was psychological.
Kinda scarey seeing those high numbers when you aren't used to the HIIT concept.

Mucho thanks for the help,
Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Wed, Oct-08-03 at 10:32.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 13:10
Mad Scientist

BF:

Sarah, I tried the HR monitor throughout my entire workout today and was pleasantly surprised. My entire workout was on target according to my heart rate monitor. Funny how the body naturally knows.

The only problem was my 6s b/c my heart rate wouldn't lower to 60% of maximum HR coming off my 9s. But during my warmup, my heart rate was at 60% so I didn't change it. Is that what you found?

It's a good way to gauge when to increase intensities. Cool!

Thanks for your input!

Wanda
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 08:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi Wanda! I'm glad that method worked out for you. In the first few weeks I found the same problem you did -- hard to get the HR to drop down to level 6 in just a minute. Sometimes it wouldn't even drop to 156 (my level 7) before the level 7 minute started! However lately it has been dropping back down to level 6 in time. Which I guess means my heart is getting stronger? My resting heart rate has dropped a lot so I can tell all this running is making a difference.

My other problem is, if I'm not paying attention I run too hard and my HR goes up to level 9 or 10 too soon. But again, now that I've been doing it a few weeks I'm starting to get a sense of what level 10 "feels" like so this is getting easier to control.

After all the advice and tips I've gotten from you on this board, it's quite a thrill to be able to offer something helpful back
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 18:18
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Sarah:

That's good to know. I'll keep an eye on it.

Quote:
After all the advice and tips I've gotten from you on this board, it's quite a thrill to be able to offer something helpful back

Thank you, glad I could help! That's what makes these forums so wonderful.

Have a great weekend!

Wanda