Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 09:12

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuckycarbo
1. My body fat % being so high. 41% is VERY bad... I don't even know anyone on these whole forums with that high of a %

2. I couldn't bench even 100lbs. Heck, when I was 13 years old I could bench 120lbs! What's wrong!!!!!!

3. My main concern is that the 40lbs+ i've lost has been muscle.
Adam, Hi again

Just to add to what the others have suggested and to set your mind at ease:

1) Take a look at my start stat - that's BF%. You are not alone. And what you're going to do is not insurmountable. There are many of us who have been there and we're here to help Hang in there and take it one day at a time.

2) LCing will make you a little weaker than you used to be - it's a function of delepting carb stores (muscle and liver glycogen). It doesn't mean you don't still work hard, though. And it doesn't mean you cannot improve. AGain, one day at a time

3) If you are eating adequate protein and sufficient calories from fat then you are not burning muscle. LCing is muscle sparing, because unlike traditional dieting it is higher in calories and it contains the necessary protein to rebuild torn muscle tissue. So be sure you're eating enough and what you'll lose is F.A.T.

That dizzy, nausea spell you had sounds very much like bonking - overdoing the workout while eating too little carbs and calories. You jumped right into something strenuous and it was too much for your system all at once.

Take it slowly and don't push yourself too hard. If you're lifting weights be sure you have a small meal 1 hour to 45 minutes before you hit the gym, and be sure you eat again 45 minutes later. Weight lifting is about building and maintaining lean mass - not about fat burning. You need to fuel your body for this task. The fat burning happens later, once the muscle is active and hungry.

And of course - remember to keep up with those new supplements and your water.

Cheers,
Nat
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 09:33
Registered Member

Plan: modified CDK
Stats: 182/174/168 Male 69 inches
BF:19%/17%/15%
Progress: 57%
Default Starting a workout program.

Quote:
I was very close to blacking out, and I could barely hear anything. At the worst of it, I couldn't see at all, except black dots. It lasted a couple of minutes, and at one point I thought I was going to black out.

It sounds like you came extremely close to blacking out. This is caused by lack of oxygen to your brain. Other parts of your body were using up your oxygen supply faster than your lungs/heart could supply it.
Not a good thing.

I recomend the following.
1. Go see a doctor for a physical checkup. Tell him you want to start an exercize program, tell him your goals and what type of exercizes you intend to do. Get him to OK your program.
2. Discuss your goals and the results of your visit with your doctor with a certified trainer. Have him set you up with a program based on your current physical ability. Learn how to do the exercizes properly (including when and how to breathe) Learn how to listen to your body. Work out with that trainer until both of you think you are ready to exercize on your own.
3. Go back and work with your trainer from time to time, so you can adjust your workouts as necessary for your rapidly improving new body.

Good luck, you can do this.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 11:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 158.5/154/128 Female 54
BF:39
Progress: 15%
Thumbs up

Hi,
My name is Amanda and this is my second posting. I think it's great that you are working out. I have a scale at my home that tells body fat and weight. Currently, I am 150lbs with 39% body fat. While it is high, I am not sure the machines are so accurate. I wouldn't focus on the percentage as much as I would on eating right and exercising regularly, even if it is just 10 minutes each day.
Good luck.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 11:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-Modified (TKD)
Stats: 263/245/210 Male 75 inches
BF:31%/25%/10%
Progress: 34%

Hi Amanda.

Just FYI, those BF calculating scales are pretty inaccurate.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 08:52
Registered Member

Plan: modified CDK
Stats: 182/174/168 Male 69 inches
BF:19%/17%/15%
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Just FYI, those BF calculating scales are pretty inaccurate.

Compared to what?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 06:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

I started out at 41% body fat as well, so I can well understand the shock of it...lol. Just stick with the plan and join that gym and it will melt off. I still have a ways to go at least body fat wise, but no where near where I started.

I also get those "blackout" symptoms from time to time. I've always had low blood pressure and have been prone to this sort of thing my whole life. Atkins also lowers blood pressure, so when I'm on strict induction especially I notice it. I think everyone's suggestion of going to the doctor is a good one just to rule out anything else. Just watch it and when you feel it coming over you, pay attention.

L (who once passed out in the grocery checkout while 6 months pregnant due to low blood pressure...lol)
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 12:02

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeRash
Compared to what?

An autopsy?

A past "best of" post on the topic:

BF Scales - are they worth it?