Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 17:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/155/115 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress:
Angry need help i never liked salad or green veggies what do i eat?

Hello,
Tried the diet a few times and at first it worked but got sick of eating tuna for lunch . I dont know what to take for lunch as i dont like salads and or green veggies . Eating supper isnt hard and breakfast well I eat eggs and bacon . I dont know but I need help as I need to lose at least 20 pounds by nov 3rd . I have my reasons and seen lots do it I just need advice on what to take for lunch or a menu as salad is yuckers . Please help anyone. I feel gross I even call myself down not happy with myself and well I am starting to push ppl away I have never been like this My goal is to get to 115lbs right now I am at 155 and well I feel gross . I exercise and drink lots of water . Anyhow anyone thinks they can help please respond.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 18:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Are you saying there are absolutely no vegetables that you enjoy eating? I know we have a little trouble around here because I have one daughter who can't stand tuna or any other fish and she's hated eggs from the time she was a baby. What about for lunch having something like some ham (just watch out that it isn't cured with any sugar) and fresh or frozen strawberries? In my book, a half cup of frozen strawberries ranks only 3 net carbs, and considering the vitamin content (high in vitamin C and others) seems to me that it would be a great option.

Here's a recipe that is absolutely to die for, and it's converted many a veggie hater that I know of to actually loving the stuff!

Heat in a skillet some butter and olive oil (my personal faves!), and add a teaspoon to a tablespoonful of minced garlic, depending on your tastes, chopped green onion is optional, salt to taste). Start with frozen brussels sprouts and as they start to thaw, cut them in half (or larger ones into quarters). You can use any other low-carb veggie that you can think of in this dish, too, added according to the cooking time. If you like oriental dishes, head in that direction--if you like Italian, use that kind of veggies (eggplant, zucchini, etc.).

Cook the brussels sprouts until they're starting to brown, sort of fried. Then add the other quicker-cook veggies. I really like fresh spinach added right near the end of it. When it's all cooked up, you can either put on any kind of grated cheese you like (unless you're making an oriental flavored dish). If you use cheese, turn off the heat once the veggies are done, add the cheese, then put on a lid and let the cheese melt.

Now, as for salads, well, I don't like iceberg lettuce, so I always go with the red romaine-type lettuce, which actually has some good flavor and is oh-so-tender. I generally never use very much lettuce in my salads, either, preferring to use other veggies like cucumber (much more flavor), alfalfa sprouts, chopped fresh spinach, etc. The real key, though, to finding a salad you like, is to find a dressing (just one with no sugar) you absolutely love. If you love bleu cheese (as everyone in this house does) salad becomes a completely blissful experience because everyone knows you only eat salad as a vehicle for the dressing, anyway!

I don't know if I helped any or not, but I would truly recommend trying that brussels sprout dish, because I've had a lot of friends who just hated veggies wolf that stuff right down.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 20:26

Stats: 209/192/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

My son loathes his vegetables, so I make up a meat sauce that is 50% veges - usually I use mushrooms and brocoli that have been chopped up fine in the food processor - put them in with the meat as it is browning so that they are better disguised and absorb the flavour of the meat. You will only know that they are there because you have cooked it yourself. Add canned tomatoes (no added sugar) and your favourite seasonings - you can make this Italian flavoured, chili, or sometimes I add a little butter chicken type sauce with some cream.
If you make up a large batch of basic sauce and freeze it in portions, you can alter the flavour depending on the mood you are in. Also, sauces like this are always better reheated the day after they are made.
You could also try making Scotch Eggs - boil an egg until it's hard. Wrap in sausage meat and bake or fry until the outside is brown and the meat is cooked.
Instead of making a salad, why don't you try using lettuce or spinich leaves as "bread" and wrapping up fillings.
A nice chinese style dish (sang choy bow?) uses pork mince fried with spices and then wrapped in lettuce leaves.
To make life easier for yourself - I suggest that you pick the least objectionable green vegetable and eat a small amount of that for a week - add a new vegetable each week. When I first met my husband he loathed brocoli but he would eat a raw piece every day because he read that it was good for him - now it is one of his favourites!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 21:44
Registered Member

Stats: 145/135/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 67%

You could cook up some chicken breasts at night, stick them in the fridge and bring those to work...

It might even make your salad more bearable if you chop some cold chicken up & eggs and put that on it. That's what I do!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 22:05

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 257/239/220 Female 5ft. 7 1/2in.
BF:
Progress: 49%

Hi Munchkin-- Welcome to the forum and the low carb way of eating. I suggest you go over to Karens cornor and check out some of her recipes etc. You might also buy one of DR. A's recipe books or go to Atkins diet website and check out their recipes. Surely there must be some vegetables that you can eat. How's about soup or omelets with the veggies chopped fine in them. Here is wishing you good luck on this way of eating. Alice
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 00:40
Registered Member

Stats: 223/201/175 Female 63 inches
BF:Want Some of mine?
Progress: 46%

I rarely eat veggies myself. Really only lettuce salad and celery with cream cheese.

I make sure I take a good multi-vitamin with no iron every morning and have been doing fine. I eat plenty of meat, cheese and eggs instead and have lost 27 pounds so far.

I know veggies are good for you and all but I think a person can get by without them and still feel good because this WOE does not center on eating tons of veggies to keep calorie intake down.

Jaimie

Last edited by DrmCorpMom : Sun, Oct-05-03 at 00:43.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 04:44

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

I disagree about not needing many veggies. Multi-vitamins are good, but they don't replace the phytonutrients you get from your veggies. This WOE does NOT center around veggies for keeping calorie counts down, however manufactured vitamins just don't offer all of the natural (and more easily digestable) nutrients that good veggies do. Another thing veggies do is add bulk (fiber) to your diet that keeps things moving along. Most folks who suffer from chronic constipation (and depend on fiber laxatives) would really benefit from eating more fiber-rich veggies. Just disguise them. Hide them in recipies like those above. Find a great tasting cheese you enjoy and cover them with cheese. Find a great tasting low carb (not low fat) salad dressing you enjoy and hide veggies under that or use the dressing as a dip. Veggies ARE important. Not from a caloric standpoint, but for all of the natural nutritional value and fiber they offer us.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 07:58

Plan: adkins
Stats: 157.5/133.0/135 Female 5 5
BF:
Progress: 109%

From another veggie hater...
I do like romaine lettuce , so salad is ok for me.
but I dont like cooked veggies at all. I liked carrots, but they are out now...

I KNOW that veggies are important, but its hard when you really hate them (even smells make you sick). a multivitamin is better then nothing at all.

Anyway, to help with this new WOL, I will admit that I eat more bars and shakes then I probably should. I also do eat deli meats and cheese and use the low carb tortillas. Since lettuce is ok by me, I do eat ceaser(sp?) salads a bunch. I also do try to hide veggies in some things.

Good luck! you need to get creative here...

Sandy
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 16:51

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

I can understand people not likeing certain veggies, but for the life of me can not understand how anyone can not eat any veggies other that lettuce or celery???
I mean did their parents never cook them ??? I know a few people who are so picky they say they don't like things that they have never even tried No wonder
Sorry but those who think they can do this diet by just eating protien, lettuce and Phoney foods are just setting themselves up for failure, firstly on your quest to lose weight, then, in your overall health in the long run.
You may want to rethink how important your health and losing weight is to you and be adventurist, try a new veggie or a differ way of cooking them. For those who hate cooked ones, there is not a darn thing wrong with eating what ever you want raw

Good Luck, Kathy
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 18:41

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

One of my family's favorite veggie dishes is cooked broccoli. They like it really, really well with nothing on it, but for those who don't like it so well (and we eat it like this frequently, too), either ranch, bleu cheese or Italian dressing absolutely just makes it!

I really only dislike asparagus as far as veggies go, but I can even eat that if it is cut up raw into salad (tastes sort of like peas) or has a nice cheese sauce.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 23:37
Registered Member

Stats: 223/201/175 Female 63 inches
BF:Want Some of mine?
Progress: 46%

Kathy54, thanks for the encouraging words. Glad to hear my new WOE and weight loss is going to be a failure along with all the other non veggie loving people out there on a low carb plan.

I never said I didn't like other veggies, Cukes are great! I love corn and carrots but am unable to have them now. I try to eat 2-3 cups of lettuce and celery per day.

We had a huge garden when I was growing up so yes, my parents did their duty and cooked them for me. I just don't care for most of them, even covered with cheese or dip.

Jaimie

Last edited by DrmCorpMom : Sun, Oct-05-03 at 23:54.