Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-01, 15:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/175/140
BF:
Progress:
Default would like expert advice in general/? re: peanut butter

Hi,
I've been on Atkins for 3 weeks. I really started this to get my hypoglycemia under control. I feel SO much better! My energy level is where is should be and I'm sleeping much better. However my husband and I both want to lose some weight and are not seeing much progress. I want some expert analysis to see if I'm doing this right

During the induction, we did behave according to the plan. My hubby and I both stayed under 20 carbs.

For breakfast I have eggs and bacon. Hubby has a Keto-shake or an Atkin's shake.
Lunch for hubby is lunchmeat and cheese (not too much cheese) and for me its a burger with no bun and a salad or something along those lines. Dinner is within that same realm also.

After 2 weeks, we added a little bit of Laura Scudder peanut butter which has no trans-fats and no sugar. stated as 6 grams of carbs per serving, minus the fiber of 2. Is that allowable?
I also added some low carb bread from lowcarbtreats.com. love it but am concerned about its affect on the diet...

I also just learned that my not so yummy but thought to be acceptable Atkins low carb bars may not be so low in carbs?!

Ok...so I have looked at the menus and I still don't know how to eat long term and not get bored! I have dairy allergies also so cheese is getting old. I'm sniffy all the time. I want to diversify our diet a little but I'm very unsure how. some veggies? a tiny bit of raspberries? argh!

We are seeing very slow, if any weight loss and we are wondering why? We use sweet n' low when necessary (iced tea etc) and he takes Buspar and I take oral contraceptives.

What are we doing wrong? I wanted to see that 10 pounds come off in the first 2 weeks! Can anyone plug this info into your experience-calculators and let me know if I'm in the right track??

Thanks! And this is a great group of people btw...I am feeling discouraged and I feel better reading some of the posts!

-Kelly
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-01, 18:29

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Hi Kel

Welcome to the forum. As I'm sure you've noticed, there's lots of information and fantastic support.

If you'd like some help with your daily menu why not post a few examples in the "bootcamp" section for everyone to look at. Hidden carbs sneak up on you (e.g. the Atkin's bars). It could be that you're not eating enough to lose (the rule is 10 - 12 x your body weight). Are you drinking your water? (64 oz and then 8 oz for every 25 lbs you need to lose). Also, please take into consideration that you dont have a huge amouth of weight to lose, so it WILL be slower for you than for someone with a lot to lose.

It can be frustrating, but think about the positive things. You feel better. You look better. YOU LOST 5 LBS!. You're sleeping better (this was a huge thing for me). Persevere and it will continue to get better.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 03:18

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Hi there and Welcome,

I was just reading your post and wondered on your water intake? I didn't see you say anything about water...this is a big must while low carbing.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 07:46

Plan: PPP
Stats: /////////// Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi Kelly

Have you read this thread about Atkins bars and hidden carbs?
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ght=Atkins+bars
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 09:51

BF:
Progress:

Hi!
Thanks to all of you for your input. This is a really supportive group!

Yeah, I forgot to mention water, but I am drinking quite a bit. Granted, I don't get my quota every day, but most days I probably drink over 64 oz. Some days are not that good of course. Its water...its seems like such a simple thing to do, but I forget! I teach dance classes so on the days when I have class, I drink tons, and toward the end of the week I tend to slack off.

And I just discovered the hidden carbs in Atkins bars, so that will be off my list as of 5 minutes ago.

I will check out the bootcamp section and see what info I can gather.

-K
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 10:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins'
Stats: 160/154/110
BF:
Progress:

Hi LoCarbKal,
I noticed that you said you put sweetners in Iced Tea? Iced Tea and all fruit juices are loaded with carbs! In just 12oz! My boyfriend drinks Arizona Iced tea and there were 41g of carbs in one 12 oz serving. Make sure you're checking your beverages, too.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 10:48

BF:
Progress:

Hi,

to my knowledge, BREWED iced tea, from a tea bag, has very little carbs, comparable to instant or brewed coffee (like .5-.7 for 8oz or some such). Iced tea from a bottle is a different story, and that's not what I drink.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 12:52
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I apologize, I didnt' realize you meant BREWED iced tea.
Sorry.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 13:31

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 312/285/230
BF:
Progress: 33%

Tea (like coffee) has a bit of caffeine which (according to Atkin's) can cause insulin production (the dreaded fat maker).
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 13:54
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

In the Atkin's book, it also says that caffenine consumption may or may not affect weight loss, it's all in the individual. And remember, that even Equal or Sweet N Low (and I'm almost 99% sure on this one) has 1g carb per packet. That is one mistake I made and never counted them.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 14:13

BF:
Progress:

I drink decaf everything. I think even regular (caffeinated) tea has much less caffeine than coffee, so with decaf tea, I feel pretty safe. I wish I could live without the sweetner but I can't... I do count the carbs in it.

Question re: sweetners - the little packets of sweet n low contain some carbs, but I have a liquid sweet n low at home and it states 0. Why would there be a difference? I err on the side of caution and count it, even tho is says 0. Anyone know the science behind this?
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 14:22

Plan: PPP
Stats: /////////// Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 18%