Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 18:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 190/179.5/140 Female 67 in
BF:TOO MUCH
Progress: 21%
Default End of eating for today-critiques please!

Would love comments about my choices for today. Im trying so hard to get this right.
I feel so bloated and so fat! Even the little extra space I had in my clothing the first week is gone and they feel tight again. I feel like crying.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 19:06
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

To paraphrase "A Field of Dreams"... If you POST it, they will come....lol!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 19:18

Plan: Atkins- OWL/Pre-M
Stats: 165/144/140 Female 70 inches (5' 10")
BF:30%/19.28%/19%?
Progress: 84%

LorynJohn
Hi there! I checked for your fitday link in another post you made and had a look at today. The one thing that I would mention is that your protein grams are higher than your fat grams. I can't tell exactly what your percentage are but you want to keep your fat percentage the highest. Most people say while in induction around 70%. Also remember that fat helps you feel fuller for longer. If you were to either add more fat or decrease your protein a little you'd be right on the mark. I see that you added those much needed veggies. Good job!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 19:20

Also for those who want to help here is the link

http://fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJour...Owner=Lorynjohn
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 20:47

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

OK, I took a quick look... Your fat % is 58.6% of total calories and protein is about 36% and carbs about 4% (I know, it doesn't quite add up, but that's what is there)... so carbs and protein percentages are ok, but fat needs to be higher, around 65 - 70%.

Looks like breakfast was coffee & cream, chicken & mayo. Lunch was chicken & salad, no dressing. And dinner was ground beef, cheese, olives, broccoli and mayo? How did you cook your chicken? No oil or butter? And why not eat the skin - that's a good source of fat. So, dressing on the salad, skin on the chicken, oil or butter to cook with, maybe another cube of cheese and more olives... all to bump your fat % up. Also, the public view of Fitday doesn't show the fiber grams but just FYI, you can deduct them from total carbs to arrive at net carbs. These are the ones you want to keep around the 20 per day. So you may or may not want to add more veggies to your menu to up them a bit. BTW, what I used to do was put the total fiber grams in the "journal" part of Fitday, so they could be seen by the public.. just a thought.

Your calories may be a wee bit high - they say we should aim for 10 to 12 X our weight, which would mean 1900 to 2280 for you. Upping the fat while decreasing the quantity of protein will mean more satisfaction, so you might find that your total calories decrease naturally... Hope this perspective helps.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 21:00

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

When my protein was higher than my fat I gained 5lbs! Once I upped the fat to at least 70% the weight came right off.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 21:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 137/129.8/115 Female 5'1
BF:28.5/26.8/19
Progress: 33%

Great information from all you "seniors". I'd love your advice too if you get a chance. Cheese was slowing down my progress the last week so I eliminated most of it from my program. I'm still on induction and feeling good but I still crave something sweet every once in awhile. Thanks in advance for your help. EJ
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 21:10

#9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 00:21

ejc
Real quick look shows similar situation ... you need more fat!!! and a little less protein ..not a lot less protein ... but definitely more fat. Your carbs look at little low too if you fiber was 18gs your carbs were only 14. You should try and get them as close to 20 as possible.

ALSO ... check this out:
2238 ... Calories Burned
1247 ... Calories Eaten

I'd suggest upping your calories a little bit. If you add more fat that should happen pretty easily. Olive Oil is wonderful for that. Just throw a tablespoon on your salads. Use more butter and mayo or 0carb salad dressing. Avocado is good too if you like them. Throw a half in your salad.

If you don't get enough calories your body will go into starvation mode and it will be difficult to impossible to lose. I know that while in induction I totally lost my appetite. That is why just adding those little things really help without causing you to eat a lot of food when you have no appetite.

Good luck to you and keep up the good work!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 00:26

Also,
I've taken L-Glutamine to aid in eliminating the cravings. Some people swear by it, I've taken it for years now so I wouldn't notice a change as much as others might. But, I really haven't had any cravings at all. It just might be because of the L-Glutamine. Maybe you might want to give it a try?

Otherwise I would suggest that you check out the recipe section ... there are some execellent ideas for sweets under the Sweet Treats section. just check and make sure that they are OK for induction.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 05:30

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

Theres that old question again. Can you only have 3 cups of salad veggies ,if you are way under 20 net carbs. I ate more myself, I always went up to 20 ,sometimes I ate my carbs too early in the day and had to make sure not to have any later on .

I tried that fat percents and all that , but really, how do the people , like my mom who dont have computers figure this out? They don't . and they still lose weight. They just follow the book. They don't go to fitday to check fat, proteins ,carbs .they can only use their carb counter and read from the back of labels to get their carb and fiber info . I lose the same now, as I did then ,when I checked my fat and protein percents.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 06:09

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

Lory, start a journal. Its easy . I started mine on my 10th day. Then you can post your foods and people will respond there. you can keep track of your weight loss and measurements.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 09:32

Lori(ImHere), Thank you for your time and advice. I struggle with adding fat because I feel like I'm splurging way too much as it is. I'll work on adding some more. I've read about the L-Glutamine and have it on my list of things to add to my supplements. I realize I don't have that much to lose so I know it will happen slower. The good news is my moods have stabilized,I'm no longer binging on candy and carbs and my stress level has reduced by 50%. This WOE is worth it just for those things! Thanks again for your words of wisdom. EJ
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 10:30

ejc
I can relate to the splurging on the fat thing! The long time low-fat mindset was difficult for me to overcome too. I am a member of a family that is considered one of the pioneers of the health food industry. Their supplements and health aid products are carried in all the BIG health food and vitamins stores. The family's philosphy is based on low-fat. Soooooo I really had an internal struggle with that. I read and read and read about low-carb before finally committing to it after low-fat just didn't work for me.

If you check with others who have had the type of success you are looking for you most likely will see that early on they kept their fat percentage around 70%. What I did that really convinced me is I went through people's journals and fitday. I picked those who had similar stats as mine and also those who had lost a lot more weight than I had to lose just to compare. 70% seemed to really work best. The evidence was there ... eat fat lose weight. Of course as you get closer to goal and up your carbs you are suppose to lower your fat proportionately. You don't stay high fat forever. Also, now that your body is burning fat as its fuel you really need to make sure you give it the fuel

Best of luck!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 09:49

Lori, thanks for your words of wisdom. Luckily my family isn't around that much so I don't have the pressure of justifying this WOE to them. Next weekend I'll be at my parents house for my Mom's 80th birthday which will be a REAL challenge. The are used to me eating LF so I'm sure they'll wonder what the heck has happened. Luckily she isn't much for pasta so I can always expect at least a piece of meat for dinner. :-) The most important thing for me now is my binges and the mood swings are gone. If the weight comes off, than that is a extra benefit.

Good luck on the rest of your venture!