Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 08:56

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 260/197/150 Female 5'7
BF:52/42.5/28
Progress: 57%
Default self loathing as you lose weight?

I have lost quite a bit of weight - over 30 pounds - since mid-July when I started Atkins and I feel really good. I am exercising vigorously, my blood work came back with excellent results, and my clothes are all loose. But every time I look in the mirror, my feelings of pride for my accomplishments disappear and all I can think is how disgusting I still am, how much farther I need to go, and dismay at how bad I let myself get in the first place. I see every ounce of fat and cannot lose fast enough and I just feel bad. I know that it is unrealistic to think like this and I try to talk myself back into feeling good about how far I've come, but then I catch a glimpse in a window or mirror and feel horrible again. Anyone else going through this self loathing, ie if I look this horrible now, how disgusting must I have been 36 pounds ago?!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 09:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 297.5/272.5/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Do you have any pictures of yourself before you went on Atkins? That is usually a good motivator (and/or reminder of what you looked like). Don't get discouraged when you look at yourself in the mirror...just think of what you looked like before. It took a long time to put that weight on, so why expect it to come off so fast? Just keep working hard and stick to it and you will like the way you look better day by day.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 09:15

Stats: 227/227/200 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:Soft and Squishy
Progress: 0%

Hi AJ

You have lost 30 pounds since July?? Well done you!!

Can you believe it? Aren't you pleased?? You should be. For whatever reason you made a decision to take better care of yourself and become a healthy person worthy of dignity and respect..every ounce of it!! You are not disgusting and never were. None of us are..I like to think I was sick. Now I am getting better. My addiction to carbs/sugar is not a moral issue - just a big issue. I know it probably sounds shlocky. Sorry if it does.

I think most people who have struggled with their weight have their own version of the tape that runs in their head that says that "I can't do it, etc". I always wonder if I (or you ) had a child that had won an award or completed a task similar to yours would you tell them how awful they "still" are? I hope not. On the other hand, I know I sometimes have my "doubts" because of past successes/failures. I just cannot listen to that stuff anymore - ya know?

Time for a celebration!! Positive reinforcement for all the hard work. Think Good thoughts.

Katyspice
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 09:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/223/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Yep, I am with you there. I know I never really looked in a mirror so in my mind I was looking good. But now that i do critique every part of my body, I know what is there with my eyes wide open. Yuck!!!
Use this critique part as a weapon for staying on this WOE. Take pictures of your full body and look at them often, then you can see how well you have done.To turn the self loathing into something positive. Put the pictures around the mirror and then look at yourself--and you will have something to compare to. You will feel much better
angie
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 09:21
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I think all of us, and even thin super models have fat days where we just feel fat and bloated. I made the mistake of trying on jeans yesterday. While the smaller size fit, it was a porportional thing. I still look 6-7 months prenant, even though the baby is 7 months old I don't know if I will ever get rid of this baby gut. While I have lost inches in my waist, the numbers say so, I have lost more weight in other places I think to where the problem is even more noticeable.

We all go through this. The frustration, the loathing, looking at old pictures and wanting to burn them (a actuly did throw away some pictures of me right after I had first baby. With the bloating from compilications ane being overweight anyway, I looked like a deflated beach whale).

If the self loathing starts to become a constant and you can't even occasionaly look in the nirror and give yourself a compliment, then it can be a sign of a larger problem. Also if it starts to interfer with your daily life. You won't do some activities because you think your to fat for them, if you spend so much time trying to find an outfit that makes you look thinner you are late for things, if everyone else around you tells you that you look great and all you can do is insult yourself, ect ect. If these are problems, then you may have depression or another larger problem effecting the way you see yourself.

Speaking to a counsler or your doctor may help. If it is not a chemical imbalance or hormonal issue the doctor can help with, then the counsler may be able to help you get to the root of why you feel so bad about yourself and how to start overcoming it.

When you start to appriciate some of the things about your body and how wonderful it can be, you may start focusing on making it the healthiest as possible. You may also have more energy, stand straiter, and be more active, all of which can help aid in getting to a healthy weight.

Last edited by LadyBelle : Fri, Oct-03-03 at 09:25.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 09:22

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 353/298.5/199 Male 6'2"
BF:No Idea
Progress: 35%

Hey AJ_0001,

Think of it this way, most people are gaining weight as they grow older - you are losing. Do you still need to lose more, sure - But you are much better off and much closer to your goal. You have taken control of your weight and are doing something about it. Give your body time and just enjoy the ride.

You are improving your self-esteem, appearence, and health - these are not trival things. If the average person gains 5 lbs a year, you have already turned back the clock 6 years!

You rule!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 09:42

Stats: 260/197/150 Female 5'7
BF:52/42.5/28
Progress: 57%

Thanks all - as I said I know it's unrealistic and silly to feel that way, but I think
1) I was in denial when I was rapidly gaining weight after quitting smoking a year ago Oct.7 (yay! I'm definitely proud of that one!!!!) so I never realized how big I was getting in the first place
2) I have always had weight issues and been on the chubby side and have grown up in a family (as most of us have) where thin=beauty and success so have to try to block all that out on a regular basis therefore self-esteem has always been something I've had to work at
3) on an intellectual level I know I'm doing really well - it's the emotional side that reverts to the chubby half-blind little girl in gym class who "nobody wanted on their team" because I couldn't see balls coming at me so I appeared awkward and clumsy - glasses improved that!
4) every magazine cover has an article about losing weight, being thin etc. and every TV show (just about) has super-thin actresses playing "normal people" roles
So, I know I'm great on the inside and I'm proud of my lifestyle changes and my successes, but I still get a shock and want to cry when I look at the fat woman (slowly becoming slimmer) in the mirror because OH MY GOD, like everyone else in the world, I believe that slim is better than fat or I wouldn't be living this WOL in the first place! Does that make sense? Have others been here and what did it take to get past that? It is definitely motivation...
Ana
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 10:00

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

Ana,
I have days like the ones you describe and the thought that helps me the most is "My weight is going in the right direction!" I no longer have to fear that I will keep gaining weight bit by bit and gradually becoming more limited in what I can wear and do, with no end in sight. You can't change the past but you can certainly affect the future, and you are doing so every day!

Congratulations on your loss so far.

Diane
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 10:41

Plan: Atkns/CT Weight&Wellness
Stats: 335/272.5/170 Female 5 ft 3 inches
BF:54/51/35
Progress: 38%

I can relate. No matter how great your doing, ya just look at yourself in disgust of how you got there to begin with. The bigger I got, the more i shrank inside, and my self esteem just WITHERED!

I find with every passing pound or inch, I feel that much better, and while I do still say "ewwww" when look at my thighs, I force myself to remember that it didnt happen overnight.

My suggestion is to take a trip over to the success stories. I always imagine the day I can write mine. I see how far others have come, who may have been in similar situations and it gives me a good boost to know it just takes dedication and willpower to stick with this.

This support forum is great. For the times I have been really down, someone has always come to my emotional rescue :-)

You're not alone in the way you feel. I also suggest starting a journal. Its a great place to vent.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 10:46
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I'm working on stopping the inner dialoge that makes me feel that way. I know not everyone likes him, but I'm finding the Dr Phil book to be a Godsend in that department.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 10:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 231/191/150 Female 5 6
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Visualization

Have your tried any visualization techniques? Just close your eyes and pretend you are looking through a camera or a camcorder. Picture yourself thin, wearing something flattering. Anytime you get down about where you are now, try this trick. It will impress upon your brain a better picture of you!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 10:53

Stats: 120/???/113 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:18.8/18.8/15
Progress: 63%

I agree, you should be sooo proud! I know what you mean about looking in the mirror and wishing you looked better...even I do that and in my head I KNOW it's crazy. I know people think I am nuts, I admit that I have an eating disorder (bulimia and binge eating), however, when I got pregnant with my little boy (14 months old now), I was 113 pounds and happy (for the most part). It then became about maintaining that weight. My DR thinks it may also be a little bit of OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder). It's not really about how I look to myself in the mirror, I don't have a distorded body image. I can look in the mirror and see that I am not overweight, but the scale must say 113 (and it doesn't). Please, no hate messages or harsh comments, I am being honest ( I have spoken with both My Dr and a personal trainer, both think I am okay in wanting to weigh what I did before, w/o being too thin)! I think finding someone who looked in the morror and didn't say they wanted to change it a little, would be very hard to do. Like someone said, even the slim super models proably aren't completely happy when they look in the mirror!

You are doing great...30 pounds is A LOT! Congrats on that!

Ladybelle,
I gained 70 pounds with my first pregnancy (she is almost 3 now), by the time she was 7 months old, I was 10 pounds lighter than when I got pregnant! You can do it! Have you tried the Body For Life workouts? That's how I firmed up..it really works.

I hope you all reach your goals, this is a long hard journey and we have eachother, thru thick and thin (literally). Good luck and stick with it!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 10:54

Plan: low carb-atkins
Stats: 280/170/150 Female 5'8
BF:40/27.5/22
Progress: 85%

I can relate to this topic well....maybe too well..I too am proud of what I have accomplished over the last 7 months..loosing 75lbs...but yet...Im CONSTANTLY..picking on me...my low selfesteme has got me no where in live I can say that for sure...Im really hoping when I reach goal weight I will feel good....but alot of soul searching must happen before then....
I try to look at all the good in my life...and try not to stop and pick apart my body at every mirror....

someday...I will love me...for me....I cannot wait til that day..somedays its almost here and others its so far away

Keep up your great spirit..!!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 13:01
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Serena -- I wouldn't presume to criticise you. You seem to have a very realistic picture of your weaknesses, and by admitting an eating disorder, and having sought help, I can only admire your honesty and give you my support as you try to come to terms with becoming healthy.

We may have different problems, but isn't it funny how similar they really are, when you get right down to it?
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 14:33

Stats: 120/???/113 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:18.8/18.8/15
Progress: 63%

Poatato,

Thanks for the nice response...I expected to get blasted by everyone! You are sooo right, we all have food issues or we wouldn't be here. Reguardless of the issue itself, we need support and we all understand that food is a weakness, one way or another! "It is so crazy", I think in my good moments..."it's just a friggen cookie"! Two days later, after feeling so empowered, I am binging and then, sometimes purging! The truth is, it is just a friggen cookie...why can't we get passed it?

I have been home all day cooking and baking for my little girls 3rd birthday party tomorrow. I have been making this elaborate cake and haven't licked my finger one time...the house smells of cake and I feel really good about not having any. Let's hope I still feel that way tomorrow at the party!

Anyway, body image is completely different. I think that as long as you can admit (because of the scale or the mirror or the measuring tape) that you are making progress, you're doing great!

Last edited by Serena : Fri, Oct-03-03 at 14:34.