Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 11:38
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins - Aug 04
Stats: 204/204/133 Female 5ft 4inc
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy Thinking Of Giving Up

Im finding this diet easy to stick too but im not loosing anymore weight and im also a little constipated (SP?) My weightloss stopped on around day 11 and has been the same ever since.

Because i dont eat any verg bar onion or tomatoes my diet is very much like the induction stage of this plan but with the odd glass of wine thrown in.

This is a sample menu, but to be honest i do tend to eat the same things most of the time.

Breakfast.

Weekdays i just snack on cooked meats, at weekends i have a huge fry up.

Lunch.

Cherry tomatoes, cooked meat and a little cheese and mayo.

Dinner.

Steak or chicken with tomatoes (not too many if i had some at lunch time)

I also have the odd omlette, and Atkins recipe, and maybe gammon but thats about it. So im not having over my carb allowence ive double checked that, but things are just not moving for me.

Ive tried the rusk tablets for my constipation problems but they make me feel bloated and dont do their job anyway. So any other suggestions would be great.

I really dont know what to do, im a little, well very disheartned by it all.

Thanks for all your help and support.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 11:58

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 302/292/200 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Pixie- I hope you can stick with it. The weight loss does slow after the first few weeks, but it will continue. I also lose weight in spurts (sp?) I won't lose anything for a week and a half or two weeks, and then WOOSH- 3 lbs. It is slow, but if you can stick to it, don't give up.

Also, flax seeds work well for the back up. They keep everything steady. If you do a search for flax meal or ground flax seeds you should be able to find some recipes. Veggies will also help with weight loss and constipation. I don't lose if I forget to include the veggies.

Good luck, and keep posting. It always helps me to stay motivated.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 11:59
Low Carb Cowgirl

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 210/174/145 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 55%

Don't give up!! When I started I was weighing myself all the time and with daily weight fluctuations was getting discouraged. I would suggest you not weigh yourself for a month at a time and let the first benefit be the fact that you are feeling better. Another thing I did was to take a digital picture once a week and compare those, because even though I didn't lose as much weight as I thought I should, you could see it in the way my clothes fit. It is possible to lose inches instead of pounds. If you are sure you are following your carb intake correctly, then you might want to try the lyposis(sp) strips to make sure you are in ketosis, if you are, then don't be a slave to the scale. Just pay attention to wether you are feeling better and how your clothes are fitting. Sometimes I still lose nothing for two weeks then all of sudden lose 5 pounds over the weekend, then continue to lose a couple pounds through the week. keep your chin up and as long as you are feeling good, stick with it, results will come!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 13:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/267/135 Female 62
BF:48%/47.70%/?%
Progress: 29%

Don't give up!! I am currently in a stall myself... Grrrr! But I FEEL great and that alone makes me want to continue on the WOE. No more heartburn, gas
headaches, etc...

Something you might try is to try some veggies with a higher fiber content. I absolutely LOVE fresh tomatoes with meat and mayo... on of my favorite lunches too! But I noticed that when I eat too many tomatoes I stall. I now eat more green things. And raw ones help the most, IMO. I have also had to switch my mayo. The tiny but of sugar did affect me. So I either make my own or look for the ones with no sugar. I have bought some at Trader Joe's.

Just my 2 cents.... Don't give up!!! Hang in there. You can do it.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 13:12

Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

Don't give up Pixie. Weight loss goes in fits and starts. At the moment, your fat cells have probably lost fat and are desperately clinging onto water, so that they don't have to shrink. They are fully expecting you to fill them back up soon! When they realise you mean business, they let go of the water and you lose some more weight. Then the whole thing starts with the next set. Empty them of fat - maybe see some weight loss. Plateau while they hang onto water instead. More weight loss when they let go...............
As for the constipation thing - water is the key. Fibre helps, veggies, flax seed, psyllium etc, but unless you're drinking all your water, they don't help.

This WOE works but its not all that fast. Think about it this way - you're going to get to next year anyway, better to get there slimmer than fatter and once you're slim, it can be permanent! You can do it.
Take care, Jay

Last edited by jaykay : Thu, Oct-02-03 at 13:14.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 00:54

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Pixie

Sorry to hear that you are not losing weight, but if I look at your menu then the reason is because you are not eating enough. You should be eating nearly 2,000 calories a day and I can see from your menu that I suspect you eat no more than 1,000. This will mean that your body is in starvation mode and hanging on to every last bit of fat it can. That is why you are not losing. Also by now you probably need to be having 30 to 40 g of carbs a day.

Have you tried some different veggies. Do you really hate all veggies? I now love salad particularly as I can have mayonnaise with it. On its own it has no appeal.

On the constipation front eating more will help there to as well as drinking plenty of fluids.

Relook at what you are eating and if necessary join Fitday to track your food. There is a link in my signature below.

I wish you every success. Your stall has been going on to long. I am a slow loser, but the weight does continue to come off. However, I have to really focus on my food intake and exercise to make sure that it does.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 03:05

Plan: atkins-modified
Stats: 228/185/154 Female 172cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

I haven't logged on for ages, being too busy and all. In this time my weight has been creeping up a little. I have definitely been losing the will to live and feeling v despondant.

I log on and find, immediately, a thread that is encouraging and helpful.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH EVERYONE.

AS EVER, YOU ARE ALL STARS.

And with my newly recovered enthusiasm, I agree with the others, Pixie, don't give up. In the past, when I have stuck for ages, I kept saying, 'What is the alternative?' and in good time, the weight came off.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 10:35
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins - Aug 04
Stats: 204/204/133 Female 5ft 4inc
BF:

Thank you all for your kind words of support. Its almost feels like a vertual (sp?) hug

I will carry on this plan a little while longer, and hope that you are all right.

To be honest, it may well be that im not eating enough, even though the menu i supplied is a 'normal' days intake, right now ive lost my appetite so much that sometimes i only have my evening meal. I know this is naughty but i have a very stressfull busy job which means that i often work through my lunchtime and dont get chance to eat, but i do try and snack. On the water front, i drink it by the pint, at least 10 a day so thats not a problem for me.

Thanks again, Im going to try and have a big eating weekend in hope that this will help things along. Oh and yes, im sorry but i truely dispise veg, even salad. I wish i didnt as it would make things so much easier.

have a great weekend everyone.

Emma
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 10:52
Registered Member

Stats: 225/225/165 Female 5' 4
BF:

If you regularly work through your lunch, perhaps it may be an idea for you to pick up some Atkins Enduldge bars, cut them into little bite size strips and just pop them in your mouth as you are working, you can do this with other foods as well... you don't have to stop working to put a little something in your mouth. Not eating is going to be what hurts you the most... your body needs food.... you need to fuel your body .... all day... not just one meal a day. But I am sure you know all this... the bars are just an idea.

Good Luck
~Lori