Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 18:06
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 15%
Lightbulb home-made slurpees?

okay i admit to being a slurpee fanatic for most of my life...i remember as a kid in high school they were a daily lunch ritual and during my summer football practices I kept my energy up between the double practices with huge slurpees.

of course now i know that those were just gigantic sugar bombs. i've been dying for a sugar-free slurpee to be marketed and always wondered why it was never thought of. when they finally did come out i was at 7-11's daily, sometimes twice daily to get my fix.

well, anyways, i finally decided to make my own at home. i figured okay all it takes is ice and pop and the right blender correct?
so wrong.

adding regular ice is like watering the drink down and the ice sticks together leaving the concoction...well...not really a concoction.

so then i thought what do i have to do?! i want my own slurpees.
then bling, i have to freeze pop and use that pop-ice to make the slurpee....
well it worked a little but the ice didn't want to blend prperly and still stuck together so it was like a slushy snow ball. you know the kind you get when the snow is melting, the kind you throw at people you don't like?

so then i thought, well they do this in bars and i've seen them made but they don't add anything but alcohol and mixers. so i figured maybe i'll try to add a shot of liquor...
and viola!!!!

it worked like a charm. but i'm still back to the fact that i'm adding unwanted calories. now this will work for weekends when i want to drink but not for daily slurpee habits.

does anyone have a solution to get that perfect slurpee from your blender without the sugar or the alcohol?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 11:57
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I always wanted to try them in an ice cream maker. Freeze the concoction until it got to the right consistency then pour it into my cup. Haven't tried it yet, though.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 16:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/195/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 27%

We have a shave ice machine. I wonder if you froze the soda in the shave ice machine tubs, then shaved it (it makes it like ice flakes)then put it in the blender to make it more slushy like, wonder if that would work????
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 16:58
Registered Member

Stats: 210/158/170 Male 5" 8.5
BF:
Progress: 130%

Does anyone know if Canadian 7-11's will get the new Diet Pepsi slurpee soon?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 13:50
Registered Member

Stats: 240/234/130 Female 5feet 2inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

Freeze your diet soda of choice in a ice cube tray and then crush the "soda cubes" in your blender with some of the soda in a liquid form. The trick to keep it from sticking is to blend it long enough and use a long thin spoon to push your unbroken cubes towards center to really get crushed. You have to make sure to let it blend long enough, put it back in the freezer for about 20 min again, zap it a couple times on the blender and there you go! Try it
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 17:29
Registered Member

Stats: 385/346/210 Male 73"
BF:
Progress: 22%

I make homade slushes from unsweetened kool-aid, stevia, and ascufame-k in my cuisinart ice cream maker.. The consistency couldn't be better... It's a real fix for the sonic slushes I miss so much.