Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 08:14

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 302/292/200 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%
Question Question about eating meals with someone not on Atkins

I have a new room mate moving in, and I am concerned about how Atkins will effect his eating. Don't get me wrong- I have been doing well, and I have no intentions of stopping. He is aware of what my diet consists of; however, I just worry about him eating all my high fat goodies while he is still consuming a lot of carbs. He is pretty healthy, but I would hate to cause weight gain for someone else. Any thoughts or am I just being silly?

-Jess
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 08:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 359/318/250 Male 75 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

The best, and probably the MOST, you should do is explain to your new roommate how your WOE works and the pro's and CON's of mixing your WOE with his high carb lifestyle. You say he is healthy, he should already know what he can and cannot have to maintain HIS healthy lifestyle.

I think the problem may lie in the boundaries and courtesies that roommates try to adhere to and not overstep. If you two have an agreement about sharing of food then this should not be a problem.

I bet once he see's how well you are doing and all of the great things that you can eat he will probably alter his healthy lifestyle to be a little more conscience of his WOE. Just a guess. There is no better argument than leading by example.

Just my thoughts

Cody
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 08:35

Stats: 250/230/165 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 24%

If he eats your Atkins foods and he continues to eat regular carbs, no doubt he will gain alot of weight and fast.

How about warning him this is going to happen and also explain how you feel.

I'm sure he will listen, especially if you tell him he'll blow up like a blowfish lol.

Good luck
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 08:40

BF:

Thanks for your responses Leenie & Cody. I will discuss this WOE with him. I am really looking forward to having a new roommate. We are both very busy people, but I hope we can share a few meals together. I am also going to make it my hobby to really learn to cook. Maybe I can try to make a few low fat, low carb meals that we can both enjoy.

I don't want everyone thinking that I am trying to fatten him up.

-Jess
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 08:42
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

you might want to have a rule that each person buys their own food, and asks the other permission before taking some. That should help to minimize him eating your higher fat foods.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 10:30
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 217/170/155 Female 5/5
BF:
Progress: 76%

Don't let his high carb foods tempt you! I know it's easy for me because I don't have them lying around my house, because we all pretty much LC. I buy some treats and wheat bread for my son, but I keep it in the cabinets and out of sight! Sorry if this seems silly!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 10:44

BF:

It isn't silly at all. I have been living with a carbaholic, and the only thing that really tempts me is raspberry beer and chocolate cake. The other day, I almost had the last bite of chocolate cake on my fork before I suddenly realized- Duh- you are not eating sugar. I swear it'll be a year before I stop doing that.

Hopefully the new roommate won't have a tendency towards baking.

-Jess
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 10:48
Registered Member

Stats: 160/156/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 16%

Hi Jess, I had the same concerns when going on Atkins. My hubby eats low carb, high fat meals with me but still has his cereal and bread etc. For the first month we really watched his weight and incredibly he lost 10 pounds! He is no longer losing anything (he has no fat left to lose), but he's still not gaining. I think the cut down on sweets (I don't bake anymore except for low carb goodies) and the really low carb dinners are whats done it for him but I don't know. He also eats more veggies then before because that's what I eat. The only real problem I have with living with someone not on this wol is that they eat all my good food because everything on this diet is so delicious! Now I just buy enough for both of us so I'm not left with nothing to eat. (G) Hope it works out as well for you!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 11:02

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

Buy him a bar fridge for his bedroom as a housewarming and ask him to keep his stuff in there, lol.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 11:07
~version 2.0~

Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

My BF also is eating both my high fat foods and his high carb stuff.... and he has no intention of slowing down... I keep trying to be nice about it and say... see hunny i have lost 10lbs.... and you have gained 5lbs.... you can't keep this up... but he doesn't care yet... I can't change his mind.. he has too..

Oh well... I still love him.. " FLUFFY"
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 11:11

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 417/213/117 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 68%

Don't ever share food with roommates. It has nothing to do with a diet it has to do with finances. I lived with roommates in college. Everyone has their OWN food. You don't eat someone else's food. It's as simple as that.