Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 09:55
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default White Swan Squash?

I bought one of these today and I'm wondering what type of squash it is. I googled it and tried the cook's encyclopedia, and found nothing on White Swans. It's probably a variety of acorn squash, since that's what it looks like, only smaller and white. Anyone know?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 18:54
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

Hi Kristine:

I just cooked one of those up the other day. I didn't like it for some reason. The only squash I've never liked. As you say, I think it's close to the acorn squash though. That's what I use in my nutrition program.

Good to see ya. Our paths haven't crossed in awhile.

Wanda
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 08:35
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Did it look like this or more squishy like this?

Karen

Last edited by Karen : Thu, Oct-02-03 at 08:40.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 16:31
Leeloo Wannabe

Plan: Maint./Low GI (good carb)
Stats: 143/135/135 Female 5'8"
BF:25.6%/21.9%/>20%

I'm going to jump in on this thread because that first one you posted is what I bought because I couldn't find a "summer squash" (for that soup I want to make). The link to the summer squash in the squash soup thread didn't work so I wasn't sure which to buy so I got that white swan squash and a butternut. Hmmm, now I'm thinking the soup won't turn out if I use the white swan. Do you have another link to what summer squash looks like? Thanks Karen!

Lily
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 18:31
Mad Scientist

BF:

LOL, I'll jump in too! Karen, since Kristine hasn't answered, I'll answer for her... hmmm.... do ya think I talk for DH too?

I think she meant the "White Acorn Squash". Our local Dominion (and my farmer's market) has them labelled as White Swans for some reason.

Lily, here's a link for summer squash, which are totally different from winter squash. http://www.foodsubs.com/Squashsum.html Save that link b/c it's a great site to use as a food reference. I'm always using it.

You could use your winter squash in a Southwestern Pumpkin Soup located in the Recipe of the Month Club forum.... yes, a shameless plug.... ok, the link on the RofM forum didn't work, so here's the direct link...
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...western+pumpkin

OK, I think I butted in on just about everyone....

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Tue, Oct-07-03 at 18:35.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 11:15
Leeloo Wannabe

Plan: Maint./Low GI (good carb)
Stats: 143/135/135 Female 5'8"
BF:25.6%/21.9%/>20%

Red Rover, Red Rover, We call Wanda Over!! I am glad you jumped in my dear!

That link to cook's thesaurus is great - I love it! So, summer squash isn't one particular squash per se, it's actually an entire type of squashes (squashi? :lol So zucchini is actually a summer squash?

Yum, yum, yummmy! Thanks for posting the link to that Pumpkin Soup! Mmmm, I love fall soups! Now I just have to look up the carb count of the different winter squashes. I'm assuming butternut probably has a higher carb count than the type I was supposed to buy. Sigh!

Thanks again!

Lily
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 11:45
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Lily:

Quote:
So, summer squash isn't one particular squash per se, it's actually an entire type of squashes (squashi? :lol So zucchini is actually a summer squash?
You got it.

Quote:
I'm assuming butternut probably has a higher carb count than the type I was supposed to buy.
Yep! But I happen to be a squash monster these days. I've been buying every type of squash I can find and I do these taste tests. DH thinks I'm nuts b/c he hates squash, or almost every veggie for that matter.

I can't remember your maintenance carbs, but baked acorn squash is about 15 grams of carbs/100 grams and butternut is about 10/100 grams. My program lists "winter squash" generically as 8.75 carbs/100 grams. That's a fair amount of squash as a side dish. It'd be perfect in a soup if you're worried about the carbs though.

Happy cooking,
Wanda