Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 17:18
SeeMyself

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Why is the 1st day the hardest to get through?

Just joined today.... Never have joined a support group before, but I feel I need it more than ever now, I have never been so depressed with myself. You read how well the low carb diets work, but it is so hard just to get through the first day.... I feel like the old lady in the movie Titanic when she is so thrilled they found her "looking glass", (mirror) and she said it looks the same as the day she lost it only to turn the mirror over and see herself (really "see" herself) and she says the reflection has changed somewhat.... That's how I feel, its like I am really seeing myself for the first time, and wondering "what happened?" I really need to make some changes, all the info on Atkins, South Beach Diet and now Dr. Phil weight loss, it has a calling for me I just need to...... so anyway, hello, I looking forward to your company.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 18:31
Vorsicht! heiß

Plan: SureSlim Wellness Clinic
Stats: 225.6/188.8/160 Female 5'8
BF:34%/24%/24%
Progress: 56%

Hello and welcome to the forum

You found the right place for information and support. The people here and this place are wonderful. Make yourself comfortable and I may suggest you start your own journal so you have a place to share you day to day stuff and meet new friends.

I hope to read more from you

#3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 21:57
Runs with scissors

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/277.5/180 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 11%

I am hear to say, this too shall pass!

The first day \ week can be hard. It was for me, but give it some time. I quit smoking last fall, and kept using the "This too shall pass" reminder. So whenever I get down or hungry for that muffin or whatever, I remind myself to keep on with whats right, the craving will pass. Another thing that works along that line is negotiate with yourself that you will eat that treat later (knowing that the craving will pass by then).

Keep your spirits up!

It feels really good to wear baggy pants and have to cut a new hole in the belt!

Jason

Last edited by JGrover : Wed, Oct-01-03 at 21:58.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 11:07
SeeMyself

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Talking

Hi! wanted to tell you that I got up this morning feeling so great with myself! I have tried starting this diet before but never made it past 4:00! But this time I made it through a whole day and today promises to be even easier! I realize I could have eaten more yesterday, I went to bed hungry, but it was all the "right food" My husband was not any help at all, he went to the store and brought home hot dogs with larger than life "buns" and canned chili beans and a 12 pack of beer! But I didn't give up my stand! He's hungover and has a bloated belly today and I feel great! I really feel that because I had somewhere to turn, (this forum) and the excitement of having people like you who feel the same as me in this struggle to fight those carbs is what got me throught the day, as I mentioned before, I've never joined anything like this before, but, boy, it sure feels good to have someone to relate to this forum is really what I need, Thank you! I guess I need to start a journal now, do I post anymore here in this area or do I just post in the journal from now on, I like being able to talk with people who are doing this "low carb" way of life? Thanks again!

Last edited by SeeMyself : Thu, Oct-02-03 at 11:12.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 12:15
SeeMyself

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Lightbulb

I just wanted to add one more thing, This has been a real "eye" opener for me.... I kept my carbs to 20 or so for yesterday, but as I mentioned above with what my husband had for dinner, I realized if I would had eaten with him I would of consumed almost the same amount of carbs that he consumed and that was a whopping 223 gms of carbs, just for dinner! No wonder I was packing on the pounds, I realize that you really have to see what your eating, and the hi protein makes you go longer thoughout the day. As I said, I am just seeing this for the first time! Too many carbs were fogging my brain cells It's time to make some develed eggs!

Last edited by SeeMyself : Thu, Oct-02-03 at 12:20.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 21:11
Runs with scissors

BF:

Great job!!! Keep it up!

Every trip starts with first step and a day #1. Keep it up!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 22:23
SeeMyself

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Question calories

Doing ok on the carb count, but very hungry today (probably in my head) but what should I try to keep the calories at to be safe. I am like a gold fish, I could be eating the right foods, but I am capable of eating till I pop! Food that is hi protein tends to have a few more calories (especialy hi fat foods), I don't want to become a "blow fish" Thanks again for your support.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 08:06
Runs with scissors

BF:

Pork rinds are supposed to be the Atkin dieters best friend. I don't care much for them, but they have a crunch to them, and you can snack on them to keep you busy...

You can do it! It's just one more day....
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 08:59

Stats: 227/227/200 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:Soft and Squishy
Progress: 0%

Hi See myself

hang in there...if you feel better now after a couple of days you will be amazed at how you feel in a couple of weeks. Even that focus on/about food seems to wane.

Loads and Loads of water..be good to yourself, take baths, get a pedicure, get yr hair done - whatever that keeps you feeling good is my small advise.

Good Luck and keep in touch.

Katyspice
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 09:03
Registered Member

Stats: 200/182/160 Male 5' 11
BF:
Progress: 45%

Dear See,

I'm losing about two pounds a week from Atkins without taking any extreme measures or feeling deprivation. I see from your statistics that we both have similar amounts to lose and I just wanted you to know that the Atkins is working for me. My first two days were rough because I tried to go off coffee cold-turkey at the same time. But once the coffee issue was put aside, everything went rather smoothly. Good luck!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 09:40
Registered Member

Stats: 207/177/150 Female 62.75''
BF:Shudder/Awful/Good
Progress: 53%

Quote:
very hungry today (probably in my head) but what should I try to keep the calories at to be safe. I am like a gold fish, I could be eating the right foods, but I am capable of eating till I pop! Food that is hi protein tends to have a few more calories (especialy hi fat foods), I don't want to become a "blow fish"

That's the best part -- you won't become a blowfish! Don't worry about the calories, just the carbs.
Also, if you feel very hungry, knock yourself out! Eat until you're full. If you still feel hungry, it's possible you're going through carbohydrate withdrawal (if you're in the first two to four days of the diet). It happened to me. If you get through withdrawal, then you'll go into ketosis, and you'll start losing those unwanted pounds!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 09:41
SeeMyself

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

I had read on this forum to go to "fitday.com" to keep track of what I am eating, what a great idea, it really helps to put down on paper just what your putting in your mouth, the breakdown they give of fats and carbs, etc. really helps you keep on track throughout the day, all us neebies should do this!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 15:04
SeeMyself

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Angry Blew it BIG time

Went 4 1/2 days was good, then last night my husband cooked dinner for us, Chicken Caccitore (sp) over TONS of spaghetti w/french bread.... I ate a whole plate, probably 2 cups of pasta.... I didnt sleep a wink last night, my stomach was so full and hurt so bad and I was so mad! This am I took a ducolax just to try to get it all out of me, (might of been a bad idea) I didn't really feel hungry on this diet, because of all the fats and proteins, but I just lost control, I have to get a grip on carbo craving, my down falls are pasta and bread and oh a glass of milk sure sounds good right now. I'll start again tomorrow (taking this ducalox was not a good idea, can't leave the house) Just posting my feelings, could cry I am so mad. I got on the scale and I weigh more than I did when I started, what is the average 1st week weight loss? Up to 4 days it said 2 pounds, was happy, but old spaghetti pork out just screwed that up! &^#($&$(*~#.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 15:42

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hey - take it easy on yourself. It is really hard to resist when family cooks up your former favourite stuff. The next time, you will either be prepared to eat ONLY the chicken with some sauce and a salad, or else smack the cook-saboteur with a nice round frying pan! (No, not really. But be prepared. It's the sauce that is good.)

Anyway, it was only one meal and you can get right back on the plan now. You sure learned how BAD carbs make you feel. And you used to feel like that much of the time, but were so used to it you didn't notice it anymore. So print out the post above and read it whenever the carb cravings hit. Another good offence is to stuff protein in your mouth whenever you want sweets or starches. Always works for me.

Now go and eat a cow!

Last edited by tofi : Mon, Oct-06-03 at 15:44.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 17:13
Registered Member

Stats: 200/182/160 Male 5' 11
BF:
Progress: 45%

Dear See,

When cutting through the carbohydrate brush gets tough, I take the mountaintop view: When you and I are at our desired goal weight, we will look back on the little setbacks (like eating pasta now and then) as a little turbulence on a mostly smooth Atkins flight. (I just hope this flight has Macadamia nuts . . .)

P. S. I hope I don't get moderated for putting two overextended metaphors in one message!