Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 19:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/217.5/185 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Cheating...

OK so say, just theoretically here, what if around Christmas I was to eat not really low carb for a few days or so, then go back to eating very low carb again (induction) immediately after... what kinds of effects would this have on me and the diet? Thanks for anyone that can help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 20:10
Registered Member

Stats: 205/199/130 Female 65"
BF:33%
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate82
OK so say, just theoretically here, what if around Christmas I was to eat not really low carb for a few days or so, then go back to eating very low carb again (induction) immediately after... what kinds of effects would this have on me and the diet? Thanks for anyone that can help.

I'm no expert but I am a nurse. I would imagine you will gain a few pounds (not a huge number, just a few) and it would take 1-3 days on the average for you to get back into ketosis. I'll bet you would drop that weight quickly.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 20:43
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Don't go off low carb completely, just moderate for the holidays. Make yourself and everyone else some LC cookies if that is your weekness. At dinner have a large portion of meat and veggies, and just take a couple bites of the potato. If you are going out shopping or somewhere else samples are available, make sure to have a satisfying meal before hand. (am I the only one who feel guilt passing up free food?)

instead of going for an all or nothing, whole hog mentality, loosen up without going completely off. If you absolutely have to have a piece of mother's pie, then just make it a very small piece fo ryour serving, rationalizing if you really need more you can get it then. You will probably be satisfied with the small amount (or disgusted at the sweetness). Or make an LC one. There is a pumpkin pie with a pecan crust that's LC and I'm dying to try.

IF you fall completely off wagon, you may have troubles getting back on. Some never manage too. If you do go th rough induction again, you have all those fun withdrawls and cravings to overcome again. You also won't have the amazing results as you had with the first time. Most of what you gain (if any) will be water weight though form the carbs and come off in a reasonable amount of time if you didn't cheat for an extended period of time.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 20:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 231/191/150 Female 5 6
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default LadyBelle

I totally agree....great advice
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 21:14
Registered Member

Stats: 225/225/165 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 0%

LadyBelle, you have some fantastic advice there! Just one thing I would add... if you do plan to eat a few extra carbs during the holidays... don't forget to drink your water... water will help with not gaining as much and helping it come off after the holidays!

Good Luck!
~Lori
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 21:22
ArtificiallyFlavored

Stats: 260/252/200 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

You might find that a Carb fest after being low carb makes you feel miserable too. Your body isn't used to all the carbs anymore and it could make you ill to just dive in whole hog, even for a few days, and then, you might go through withdrawls again for a few days after going back to LC.

I'm working on planning my holidays now. I want to invite my family over for Thanksgiving and I plan on putting together a mouthwatering array of Healthy LC foods. Thanksgiving has never been a big family thing with us, so I'm not stepping on anyones toes this way, and maybe come Christmas they will be more forgiving if I don't eat the traditional (in our family) homemade baked mac and cheese (although I think I may HAVE to have a little.... I really like it... LOL!)

Funny, huh? But true, we always have this HUGE, massive pan of M&C, made with the spiral noodles and 3 or 4 kinds of cheese, butter and milk... baked till brown and crispy on top.... I swear, if that was all that got fixed none of us would complain. And that stems from when I was a kid and Christmas was at my Grandparents instead of my aunts... LOL.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 21:57
Registered Member

Stats: 205/199/130 Female 65"
BF:33%
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishamoon
Funny, huh? But true, we always have this HUGE, massive pan of M&C, made with the spiral noodles and 3 or 4 kinds of cheese, butter and milk... baked till brown and crispy on top.... I swear, if that was all that got fixed none of us would complain. And that stems from when I was a kid and Christmas was at my Grandparents instead of my aunts... LOL.

Ohhhhh, my mouth is watering. Yummmmmm
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 09:21
Registered Member

Stats: 225/225/165 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 0%

The M&C sounds absolutely wonderful, wonder if it would be as good if you used a low carb mac? There are some pastas out there that are low carb... I'm thinking this may be a way to have a little of what you love and still not over indulge on the carbs... hmm... I might even try it myself *smile*

~Lori
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 09:36
Registered Member

Stats: 359/318/250 Male 75 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

This advice that I offer is for everyone about everything for anytime! Do what is best for YOU at that time in your life. You are doing this WOL for a reason and I assume that you have done your homework and you know what will happen if you stray for one meal, one day, or one week.

You have to ask yourself if this is acceptable to YOU! This is not a quick fix WOL, it is a lifetime WOL. Some people need the psychological molding more than the physical eating adherence. Cheating, I hate this word, is something that some people need to continue on their path to happiness. In the big scheme of things, does the holidays totaly screw you up? Everyone will have a different answer for this and will act differently.

You have to decide for yourself if you are ok with stalling a little it, maybe a lot, maybe not at all. This could kill your great progress or be the catalyst for a great burn week.

Personally, I (keeping in mind the knowledge of how MY body reacts to what I put in it) weigh the pro's and con's of my decisions before I act and then do what makes me happy. This is a rule of life that I believe everyone should adhere to.

Find your Mojo and make it work for you!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 10:29

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

go to the "main dishes" section of the recipes & look for tofu mac & cheese. i made it the other night and i'm telling you, it tasted JUST like homemade mac & cheese!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 10:36

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet
Stats: 261/236.5/160 Female 5'7"
BF:--%/--%/--%
Progress: 24%

My friend just recently did that very same thing over the weekend. Friday, Saturday and Sunday she ate high-carb. She gained roughly 5 lbs but quickly dropped all of it and returned to her previous weight.