Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 15:06

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 120/???/113 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:18.8/18.8/15
Progress: 63%
Default Anyone tried Bryers new low carb ice cream?

I bought 2 containers of it yesterday. I haven't tried it because I am trying Stillman's for a few days (I did really well till my Turkey came out of the oven...drat skin, YUM). I barely had any carbs today and calories were pretty low still too, atleast it wasn't carbs ( I took care of the problem by eating all the skin so that I won't be tempted Tomorrow)!

Anyway, they have several flavors, I bought Strawberry and Vanilla. I think the Net carbs are 4 per half cup...sooo much cheaper than Le Carb. It was about $3 for a half gallon at Super Walmart. I have never tried any of the low carb stuff because the Net Carbs thing makes me so nervous, and it's all sooo expensive. I gave in on this because it's also low fat and DH follows WW's when he needs to lose a few pounds (and he does need to now).

I was just wondering if anyone had tried it or even knew about it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 06:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

look at the ingrediants!!!!! Corn sugars galore!!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 07:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian559
look at the ingrediants!!!!! Corn sugars galore!!!!!

It contains HFCS...But, it can't be more than a 1g. Bare minimum Lactose I've been able to make LC Ice Cream with is 3g...and that was with a a very high Fat content [lots of Heavy Cream.] Since Breyers has a normal amount of fat, they had to have rely more on Milk.

Using Milk would increase the amount of Sugars from Lactose. to close to 4g. Since the Sugars content of the Ice Cream is only 4g, and the Lactose content is 3-4g...it an be assumed there is well under 1g of HFCS in there. I wouldn't sweat a half cup of the Ice Cream any more than 1 packet of Splenda with its SUPER-GLYCEMIC sugar* fillers. But, just like Splenda, I wouldn't have more than 1-2 servings/day.

*Fillers in Packet Splenda are Dextrose (Powdered Glucose; Pixie Stix Sugar; GI:100) and Maltodextrin (Modified Maltose/Dextrin; Derived from Corn/Rice; GI:105.)
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 08:23
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
It contains HFCS...But, it can't be more than a 1g. Bare minimum Lactose I've been able to make LC Ice Cream with is 3g...and that was with a a very high Fat content [lots of Heavy Cream.] Since Breyers has a normal amount of fat, they had to have rely more on Milk.

It's not just about the carb amount htough, but the GI factor.
Having the ingredients list HFCS as the third ingredient after milk and cream means it makes up a fair portion of the product. Milk is also the first ingredient, so that is what it is mostly comprised of. I think I'd prefer to spend lactose carbs on yogurt or cream. Even when I up my carbs to 50 next week, I can spend 15 of those on something healthier then icecream. With lower carb brands out there, and brands with no added sugar, I don't think I'll go for one that dumps sugar in.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 11:47
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

Yes-I ate a scoop of strawberry for breakfast. Not bad, a bit underflavored, but I doctored it up with some SF syrup. It will just fine as a substitute.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 13:54

I dont eat any refined sugar period. Its has refined sugar. I also only use liquid splenda and it has no carbs at all. So while your point may be valid to make yourself think it is ok, the plan says no refined sugars. I stick to the plan. Eating icecream for breakfast is hardly a way to change your past eating habits also....
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 14:32

BF:

Quote:
I dont eat any refined sugar period.

While that is a noble goal...It is virtually impossible. Even the steaks you eat at a restraunt are sometimes coated with a small amount of refined sugar. Most spices contain trace amounts of refined sugar. It is damn near impossible to avoid refined sugars completely. That being said, I don't sweat a few grams on occassion.

Quote:
I also only use liquid splenda and it has no carbs at all.

I use Stevia most of the time. But, most of the folks on here use Packet or Granular Splenda. What I was pointing out was that the 24g of Maltodextrin in a cup of Splenda is infinitely worse glycemicly and carbwise than the gram or two you of HFCS in an occassional scoop of Breyers.

Quote:
So while your point may be valid to make yourself think it is ok, the plan says no refined sugars.

Actually, you might wish to read Atkins for Life sometime. Specifically, pages 36 and 41.

Quote:
I stick to the plan. Eating icecream for breakfast is hardly a way to change your past eating habits also....

So do I...Eating Ice Cream for Breakfast ??? I haven't eaten very much of it, as it still does contain a small amount of Refined Sugar. Personally, I'd much rather prefer the Atkins Ice Cream with no refined Sugars. But, at least for me...I weigh price against the benefits to my health.

The minimal benefits that avoiding a few grams of HFCS on a rare occassion...do not [in my mind] outweight the fact that Atkins Vanilla [LeCarb Vanilla is horrible] costs $6/pint. I don't eat this stuff regularly. In fact, I didn't have any Ice Cream for 6 months after going on Atkins. In the last 4 months I've probably had no more than a few cups of Low-Carb Ice Cream.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 14:49
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

They have a no sugar added. Why can't they do that with the Low Carb version as well? It seems another company jumping to cater to the LC market without really understanding it. While it's good to have alot more Lc products around, and that they are getting cheaper, maybe a good idea would be an email or letter suggesting to the company that making their no sugar added icecream LC would be much more benificial and attract more consumers.

If the company becomes aware many LC'ers prefer no refined sugars including HFCS, maybe they will find a way to create a comprimise.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 14:56

I emailed them yesterday when I found out what was in it. I sure it will fit some peoples plans but not mine
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 16:08

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 120/???/113 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:18.8/18.8/15
Progress: 63%

I posted this thread and then found the same topic later yesterday evening in the Atkins forum. I still haven't tried it...and won't for a week or so. I have stuck to Stillman's today and there is no room for ice cream!

I didn't read the ingredient list before buying it, I wish I had.

I will try the ice cream and probably eat it, if it doesn't do any harm, I will buy it again since it is sooo much less expensive than the others. I have already spent so much over our grocery budget...like $100 per month over. I need to watch it a bit!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 17:20

Serena,
Since you are near your goal and so active this can fit into your plan. But for us that are still so far away it just seems to taboo to me. To me it would be to easy to rationalise it and then end up going off plan
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 17:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle
They have a no sugar added. Why can't they do that with the Low Carb version as well? It seems another company jumping to cater to the LC market without really understanding it. While it's good to have alot more Lc products around, and that they are getting cheaper, maybe a good idea would be an email or letter suggesting to the company that making their no sugar added icecream LC would be much more benificial and attract more consumers.

If the company becomes aware many LC'ers prefer no refined sugars including HFCS, maybe they will find a way to create a comprimise.

Their "No Sugar Added" Ice Cream:

1) Has 12g of Net Carbs (3g of Polyols). By comparison, that is only a 2-3g Reduction from their regular Ice Cream.

2) Has 4.5g less fat than Regular Ice Cream. LeCarb Vanilla tastes like skim milk and they've only reduced the fat by about 25%. I shudder to think how bad any Ice Cream that has had half the fat sucked out of it tastes.

3) It is sweetened with Aspartame. I'd rather put small amounts of Corn Syrup in my body than small amounts of Embalming Fluid (Fermaldehyde) and Red Ant Poison (Formic Acid.)

4) If I remember correctly [though they don't say on their site,] their "No Sugar Added" Ice Cream contains Maltodextrin...which IMHO is much worse than HFCS. And, since only 4g of the 12g of Net Carbs are labelled as sugars [I believe Maltodextrin is really a sugar, though I think the FDA allows it to be excluded from the sugar count]...the remaining 8g have to come from something not considered a sugar by the FDA...the most likely source of those 8g is Maltodextrin. Maltodextrin has a GI of 105. I'd be willing to wager that the Glycemic Load of their NSA Ice Cream is much higher than that of their "All Natural" Ice Cream. Lactose (GI: 48) and Sucrose (GI: 68) are much lower Glycemic than Maltodextrin (GI: 105.) Even HFCS (GI: 65) is much lower Glycemic.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 17:53

BF:

Quote:
Serena,
Since you are near your goal and so active this can fit into your plan. But for us that are still so far away it just seems to taboo to me. To me it would be to easy to rationalise it and then end up going off plan

I can agree with you on that...Someone who is 50, 100 pounds, or more away from their goal weight should probably not be eating these foods at all. As for those who are much closer to their goal...an occassional treat is not that bad.

BTW, my goal as listed on here is based on 15% Body Fat with no change in Lean Body Mass. I'm working out regularly now, so losing Lean Muscle should not be a problem.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 19:35

We can agree to disagree with the refined sugar stuff. I was refering to the diet book not his life book. Buts thats ok. I was not refering to you eating it for breakfast but another poster here in this thread that said she had it for breakfast with 0 carb syrup on it.

I grow my own herbs and have ever since I owned my first resturant. I feel that fresh or my own dried herbs is the best. While I cant stop having some refined sugar I dont know about I can choose not to buy products marketed to "low carbers" when its made with sugar.
It's great thay you are near your goal. You have done a awesome job. I cant wait to be near mine. But lotsa people here read that this ice cream is yummy and the box says low carb so that must make it ok. Then those same people come back and complain that they are not loosing and tell friends that atkins sucks. I get that story from people everyday. Someone addicted to carbs needs to learn to control it while loosing. Not just replace one thing with another. We need to learn a new way of life.
I think these products are great to be on the market for people like you and others trying to live the lifetime part of our wol. But us loosers need to remain more strick and stay the path that works. I will choose a cup of veggies anyday over wasting what little carbs I do get on.

I lost all my weight on this program and then gained it back because the first time I did not learn I was a carb addict. Once on higher carbs I was suduced by what I once could not have. Then I was injured and almost died and rationalised I deserved it since I lived. Talk about addiction!!! So I may sound hardcore but thats how some of us here have to sound to make it.

Btw my goal will have me at 18 percent body fat. Even though I am only 5'9" tall I had a 18.5 inch neck when I weighed 205. Its great that we do not loose muscle mass on this plan. But it stinks to have tons of muscle covered by another ton of fat!!!!!

Last edited by ian559 : Tue, Sep-30-03 at 19:39.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 00:10
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

I guess I don't like to sweat the small stuff. I don't avoid foods because of a little refined sugar-it's not realistic to me-my choice. I plan to be on this for life and yes, sometimes that means LC ice-cream for breakfast. Whether or not others choose to stick with traditional breakfast foods is their business. Nuff said.
And here I thought the object of this thread was someone wanting to know what the ice-cream was like.

Last edited by hey_Neener : Wed, Oct-01-03 at 00:31.