Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-01, 13:31
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 224/166/145
BF:
Progress: 73%
Unhappy crying over addiction!

I can't stop! If this is what a drug addiction feels like now I completely understand! I dont know what sets me off but something did! I know that I am going to cheat when I get home! I have been crying for an hour! It is like some evil spirit controlling me! I can't stop it! What did I ever do to deserve this? I want to say that I am stronger than it is but I just dont know anymore! I am doing a fat fast today and I am extremely hungry! I already drank 6 liters of water and it is only 3pm.

I had a piece of rum cake last night that my friend brought back from the Bahamas! I could not control myself! I dont know what made me eat it! It has been in the freezer for a month! I try to figure out what sets me off but I cant figure it out. I dont use artificial sweetners, I only drink water, no coffee or soda!

I know that I will find some excuse to majorly binge tonite! I need help! I cant control this! I would probably be gorging myself right now if I could stop crying like a baby! Then I would be eating and crying because I cant stop!

Sorry, I just needed to vent!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-01, 14:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Triggers

Hey be kind to yourself.

I know .... it is frustrating. Everyone has their own triggers and they need not necessarily be food related. Emotions, physical exhaustion, hormones ... any number of factors can lead to that slight chemical imbalance in the body that triggers the craving for something to put it right. Exercise helps but too much exercise can lead to exhaustion and be a trigger too.

With me disappointment is a major trigger. Slowly as we learn to make better choices our triggers will change too.

Chromium is a great help to me. I make sure I take the vit/mineral tablets as soon as I start craving. It might not stop me binging the first night but usually sets me straight soon after.

Remember we are human beings not automatons.

Take care.
Love Light Healing
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-01, 15:37
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Fiona! I needed that! I just got done eating my last two ounces of macadamia nuts for the day! I combined my last two "meals" and I am actually full! I will try to stay on track tonite! I am going to visit my mom so I will also speak with her!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-01, 17:19

Plan: Low Carb/VSG
Stats: 347/173/200 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 118%
Cool Hang in There!

Hang in there, sweetie! It gets better, trust me!

I was 320 lbs, 2 years ago...after being on a low fat diet that starved me half to death, I decided to try atkins. I've only lost 50 lbs.....although I'm happy about my weight loss, I'm more happy because I can honestly say "no" to sweets now.....

To give you some background----I used to go on binges, OFTEN. I'd eat a whole cheesecake, a whole wack of chocolate bars, anything sweet..and I couldn't stop! SO...how did I manage to go 8 months without sweets? I just had faith in the diet.....you can overcome it...when you want sweets, FEED yourself...eat a steak! You'll be so full and so satisfied, you won't want sweets....AND...try some supplements...L-Glutamine is GREAT! Do things to keep your mind off of it----I chat on the internet......TALK about your diet...that really helps....you have to BELIEVE that sugar is BAD.

When you're off induction.....you can always try sugar-free chocolate--in my opinion, some are better than chocolate with real sugar! The important thing is, don't despair! It's all up to you!......Give yourself an option---if you stick to the diet for x amount of weeks, you can have whatever goody you want......trust me, when that amount of time arrives, you won't want it... consider it a challenge...they are soooo many rewards.....have faith in it!

Good luck to you! Just remember, we've all been where you are---come here and vent.....it'll help!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-01, 19:37

Plan: Low Carb Whatever?
Stats: 263/230/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 24%

I feel for you.... and can relate, but you can have your cake and eat it too..... Make yourself a treat, and use the low carb guidelines. Try a diet orange soda with some whip cream or my favorite snack is whip cream with cocoa and splenda to taste. These might help settle those cravings a bit and won't harm your fat fast....
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-01, 07:46
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for all of your advice! Well, I made it through yesterday, I dont know how, but I made it! I was only supposed to have 1000 calories for the fat fast but it ended up being 1400 because I had 2 extra servings of macadamia nuts at 7pm because I was craving sweets! Anyway, I still lost a pound! It would probably have been more if I stayed at 1000 calories but I am satisfied!

Low carb sweets tend to set me off big time! I cant stop with them either so I would rather just stay away!

I managed to get up an hour early to do some housecleaning and lifted weights for half an hour! Does anyone know how long it takes to build muscle? I used to lift weights faithfully but then I stopped because the scale stopped moving. I think that I am ready to begin again but I dont want the scale to upset me!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-01, 08:30

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Muscle

Good job on yesterday!!! and WTG on the loss. It feels great to be a loser doesn't it?

As for the muscle, It generally takes about 6 - 8 weeks to see any development, but remember, you may gain some weight. Don't forget the measuring tape. The scales may go up, but the inches will be disappearing.

Keep up the good work!

Nat
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-01, 08:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default Stress eating

Christine, like many of us here I've been struggling with 'stress eating' too, and it sounds like you're under a lot of stress right now. Fortunately, I don't crave sweets, but there are those days when I can come home, fling myself on the couch, and eat nonstop - just trying to shut out the world, I guess.

I haven't licked it yet - maybe never will - but I'm controlling it much better than I used to (bags of cookies, large chocolate bars, chips, etc.). What I do is buy the smallest pumpkin seeds in the shell that I can find, and munch on those. It takes AGES to crack each shell and down an just an ounce or two. It's still more calories and carbs than I need sometimes, but not *much* more, and the seeds don't trigger any cravings the next day. Maybe this'll help.

Oh, and if you can, clear out your kitchen of sugary and starchy 'treats.' They're just too tempting when you're feeling low!

Rachel