Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 15:35

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I do have a question. Did you find that cutting out some sugar from your kids diet helped their behavior or attitude? I'm taking my oldest in to the doctor soon because I think there is some kind of ADD or ADHD issue going on. She can't concentrate at school (although she's really bright and knows her school material well). She's falling asleep in class and taking naps at recess although she gets enough sleep. It's only the 3rd week of school and her teachers are already at their wits end with her behavior and disruptions to class (I have a Monday morning meeting with her teacher and Asst. principal about a string of incidents that have already occurred). She constantly complains of feeling sick to her stomach, weak and tired. Basically, there are lots more "warning signs" that have been going on her entire life and things are not getting better despite the countless "behavior modification" techniques we've tried at home. We've got lots of clear-cut rules and consequences-- basically, she's not allowed just to run crazy like a lot of parents seem to allow these days. I have a feeling she is a candidate for ritalin. Before I go that route I'd like to try some other options first. I ordered some Efalex for her and as you know I am trying to change her diet a bit. I know diet alone will not solve all our problems but did you guys see a little bit of difference?

Boy does this sound familiar! I went through something very similar with my oldest daughter during 1st and most of 2nd grade (she's third grade now). I tried the EFA, cutting sugar, you name it but nothing really made much difference, although the school was very patient and tried to work with me while I was trying the alternative treatments. She also had problems concentrating and because of that was very distracting to the other kids around her even though she knew the class materials and is very bright. I dug in my heels on the Ritalin even after she was "officially" diagnosed with ADD (actually, there are some new meds on the market now that are not Ritalin) the whole time, but finally agreed to give it a shot last January. She was on it less than 4 days and I found myself saying, "I wish we had done this months ago!". What a difference! She takes a timed release version of Ritalin called Concerta and the only major problem she has had with it so far is weight loss. She now takes 20 minutes to finish her homework instead of 2 hours with me constantly redirecting her and both of us getting more frustated by the minute. She's still a bit fidgety in class (busy hands) but she's much more able to pay attention and stay focused. I know a lot of people have a problem with giving kids Ritalin or similar medications, but for me and my daughter I can honestly say it has made a world of difference when nothing else really seemed to help.