Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 23:09
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/194/145 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 31%

Sorry to hear about your cold.
I had one last week too and it's been lingering still a little. I'm very tired the past few days and my carbs have been in the 30's. I think I'm going to up them to around 50 again. I didn't lose anything going this low so what's the point of feeling lousy if I can get good results at 50 or so? I hope you're feeling better soon.
Teresa
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 18:30

Plan: Primal/Paleo
Stats: 255/241/145 Female 5 feet 9 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Oh, thank you (and what a cute icon). My sweetie Jakob let me take a 2.5 hour nap today (he slept right along with me)...and I have been feeling somewhat better. Sleep really does wonders. My hubbie on the other hand just called me and he is coming home early from work with a fever...so now I'll have another baby to take care of ..lol.
Today I weighed in at 203.6! My carb level has been between 50-75grams a day and it seems to be just fine for weight loss. My exercise is somewhat consistent. I did take a fifteen minute walk to the store today with Jakob in his sling. I think I will use my free weights tonite and do some curls.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 19:05
Registered Member

BF:

Good evening,

That's great that you're little guy sleeps so long. My Rebekah is a cat napper. She doesn't sleep well ever. Not days or nights. I read that it can affect weight loss if you're not getting your proper rest. Maybe that's why I stall sometimes. I have been so faithful for 6 weeks except two days I had higher carbs. Like today I had 91 which is way more than usual. But I wouldn't call it a full blowout where I just don't care at all. I've been craving cinnamon rolls since I started. I found out that they have 182 carbs!! Someday when I want to have a full blowout day that's what I'll have. For the most part I can resist cravings. I know that if I give in, I feel bloated and just plain yuck. That keeps me on track. Plus I have seen the scale move.

I was so frustrated yesterday. I weighed at the dr's office even thought I said I wouldn't. That scale was over 6 lbs heavier. I'm going to go with my Mom's scale even though it's probably not accurate. Just to measure pound per pound progress though it will be fine. I figure it's the one I've been using ans to compare several different scales could drive a person crazy.

The weather here was beautiful today, but very windy. Not quite as windy as the Bahamas though! Are you seeing any effects of the hurricane?

Well my son needs to study spelling so I will check back later.

Teresa
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 23:49

BF:

Not really any effects of the hurrican over here, no. It's actually been nicer than usual, less rain and not as hot. It had been a bit breezy...very nice walking weather.
Yeah, that long nap isn't the norm. I was surprised (happily).
Wow, 182 carbs for a cinnamon roll...but that sounds very yummy. Definitely a good choice for a carb blow-out. Probably my blow-out carb of choice would be chocolate or icecream, those are my two favorite bad carbs. I'm really not craving things much, but I just really enjoy those two things immensely. When I do crave chocolate I'll get an Atkins Advantage bar or Endulge. On my one year wedding anniversary I am planning to really cheat though, when we take the top tier of our wedding cake out of the freezer to eat (that's going to be in November).
Oh gosh, I know how you feel about the scales being different. Back in July I had used my mom's scale and compared to the one I was using at the grocery store I had weighed a lot less...turns out hers was inaccurate. I finally just bought a scale so I would always the same readings.
All four of Jakob's top teeth have poked through now. He is biting much less today thank goodness.
Well, I'm up late again, I've been bad about staying up until 2-3am lately. Catch you later.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 19:27

BF:

Haven't written here in a while. What a long week it's been. Jakob has been wanting me a lot since he teeth are coming through so quickly he is fussy especially for the last part of the day. Went to the Florida Aquarium on Monday, went to my brother-in-law's bday part on Tuesday and cheated by eating a piece of birthday cake. Wednesday I took Jakob to the park and met other mom's and babies/kids for a play group (he went on a swing for the first time). Today I did laundry all day at my mom's (she lets me do it at her house since I live in an apartment comlex). I had way too many carbs today..i had fruit plus I had some potatos at my mom's. Yes, I was bad this week. My weight has been hovering between 204-206 all week. I know I just need to get disciplined again about my carbs. And of course, exercise. I did get a nice walk at the Florida Aquarium. I did some weights yesterday and today, and today also did some callinetics exercises..they are much easier for me right now than the pilates.
Well, hope things are going well for you.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 19:18
Registered Member

BF:

Jaybird,

It's been a long week for me too. My older kids were off school Wed. so we went to the River museum in Dubuque, IA. It was really cool! It's in partnership with the Smithsonian. Pretty impressive for the midwest! Nothing like Florida aquariums though. We spent 6 hours there so I got my walking in that day too.

Rebekah got her first tooth Tuesday. She's been really crabby today too. I think the other upper is coming in. I gave her some Tylenol. I hope it helps her feel better. I feel so helpless when I can't comfort her.

I've been "ok" with carbs but not great. We've eaten out more than usual so I haven't seen the scale move the past two weeks. I do have a sliver of bread and a bite of dessert when we go. I guess it's still better than I used to be. I've been frustrated and still craving a cinnamon roll. One of these days I'll just go ahead and get it and be done with it. I've noticed if I eat anything with sugar in it I get a buzz. Even a bite of a candy bar. So that deters me from the roll. It would shock my system waaaaay too much.

Well it was great hearing from you again.

Talk to you soon,
Teresa
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 20:10

BF:

Okay, I was really bad yesterday. My mother in law made chicken curry with rice with texas toast and for dessert brownies and cookies. I indulged in it all. I felt awful later! Bloated and sick to my stomach. Today I have just stuck with meat to get myself back on track. I'm feeling much better already. I didn't dare weigh myself today.

Jakob has four new teeth and we think he is cutting more...I can't beleive it! So he has been pretty crabby.

Well, nothing else new really. Just got myself through the week and now I'm just enjoying the weekend. Had lamb chops for breakfast and steak for lunch and dinner. I think I will have a salad too.

So Rebekah got her first tooth...which one? And yes I can totally sympathize how you feel when you can't comfort your little baby. I know! THere's been a lot of that this week for me too. We just have to hang in there and just be there for them. Jakob bit me a few times! He hasn't for the last day or two at least.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 20:56
Registered Member

BF:

Jaybird,

I had my first official "carb blow out" day! I indulged in everything too. Remember I kept saying the cinnamon roll....Wellll I decided to have one and be done with it. But I made a whole day of it! I had brats on the buns (yes more than one), fries, and BBQ pork. Oh and a regular soda and frozen custard. Wow I wouldn't even want to KNOW how many carbs I had today. But the funny thing is I don't feel guilty at all becasue I have gone nearly two months with very little cheating. Surprisingly I didn't get bloated. Right back on tomorrow AM. The one thing I really notice though is how hungry I am when I'm not eating low carb. I could've ate a horse today! At least the horse would be low carb!! Sorry that was gross. I think the sugar has affected my brain! I got another LC cookbook today that I ordered. I now have 4 with one more on the way. The neat thing that it says is that having a base to return to is better than not having a base at all. Therefore when we have an occasional off day, and we will, that we have our guidelines to get right back on. If I never have a blow out day, I'd never be able to stick it out in the long run. My Birthday is the end of November, so that will be my next scheduled blow out. It just so happens that it's on Thanksgiving too so I get a double whammy for that one! Or should I say a single because they're both on the same day. No excuse now to have two days in Nov. But with Christmas in there too I'm sure that there will be a couple of higher days. Usually even on my higher days, I'm still well under 100. Considering my former carb addicted life style, I probably used to pack in 400-500 or more per day. Well anyway I've rambled on enough! Glad you're back on today. I will be tomorrow!

Teresa
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 11:35

BF:

Oh, feel free to ramble anytime. That's mostly what i do these days whether I am talking or writing.
I didn't actually feel too guilty about my blow-out day, but my tummy was a little upset and yes my hunger was monumental as well! I think it was worth it though...everything tasted sooo good. And you are right, having that base to come back makes it a different game. I think being "bad" once in a while is healthy in it's own way. I mean, the longer you tell yourself "I can't have it, I can't have this or that" you are just going to want it more and more and crave it more and more. So, if it's always understood that you can have it and even do once in a while, I think it really helps things. I know some people who will never touch sugar in there life, but I just don't see the point of being that extreme unless you have a very serious health condition that demands it.
I am trying to make pemmican today and tomorrow. I am babysitting my brother today, so Jakob and I are at my mom's for a while. When I get back home I am going to dry the meat, and the butcher is saving some suet for me that I can pick up tomorrow morning. Have you ever made pemmican? I had it once when my grandmother made it.
Jakob is whiney today....he doesn't want to go to sleep since he's over here with his uncle Luke (his young ten year old uncle, it's so funny).
How's Rebekah doing?
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 16:32
Registered Member

BF:

Jaybird,

I've never heard of pemmican. What is it?

Rebekah is doing better today. Her other top tooth has broken through and that has seemed to help. She has days where she doesn't want to go down for a nap at all!

I'll pm you and check out the web site that you pm-ed me about a little later. I've got a meeting for church tonight that I have to get to. Talk to you later.

Teresa
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 12:02

BF:

Pemmican is this stuff that native americans have used as a staple of their diet especially when travelling. It's basically ground up dried meat with rendered fat added and dried berries of your choice. It will keep forever ( a few years at room temperature). It's a great snack or meal, it's compact, and really nutritous. It's really good for hikers and campers....and low carbers. I have never made it before. I just sliced my meat and was about to put it in the oven but realized I need something else from the store....got to get some baking racks. It takes 6-12 hours to dry the meat depending on the oven, so I think I will get the rest of what I need and do the actually drying tomorrow so I can start first thing in the AM. Plus, I think I have come down with a stomach flu.....or quite possibly my body is just trying to rid itself of the garbage I ingested this past week, lol.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 12:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 138/133./107 Female 57.5
BF:37%/27%/?
Progress: 16%
Default Another LC Breastfeeding Mother Here!

Hi everyone,
I am new to this low carb lifestyle and to this forum. I have a 8.5 month old baby boy named Alex that I am still breastfeeding. He is on limited solids and the occassional formula bottle, but so far so good.
I decided to go low-carb in order to lose the rest of my baby weight plus the extra weight that I started with when I got pregnant in the first place. I started at 118 (I'm only 4'9.5" so I was chubby even at that weight). I topped out at 151 at delivery time, and am down to 130 after low-carbing on and off in the past 8 months. My ultimate weight goal is 107.
My husband is actually my main reason for changing my (our) eating habits. At 6'3", he weighed in at 279 3 weeks ago. After following a low carb eating plan of 3 meals of 30 carbs each and 3 snacks of 15 carbs each, he's lost 16lbs in the past 3 weeks! I've dropped 7.5 in the same time span. Now, we're on to the next phase of following Atkins more closely.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 17:09

BF:

Good to meet you linilinda! Good to hear you are still breastfeeding too, it is so good for our babies.
Your husband reminds me of mine a little...he gained a bit of weight while I was pregnant. So, he is doing Atkins as well. If I go too low carb it does effect my milk production...I notice the difference and so does Jakob...he is 7.5 months now and almost exlusively breastfed. He has solids here and there, but it's nowhere near routine.
It's better if I stick between 40-50 grams of carbs a day. My milk production seems fine at that level.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 18:59
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Linilinda,

Welcome! I notice a difference in my dd Rebekah if I go too low. She gets crabby!! She's 9 months and on solids and some formula too. She still loves to nurse so I'm not in a hurry either. Easier than trapsing downstairs at night to make formula! And now that she's more "vocal" it's funny to see her reactions to every day things. She has her different sounds and inflections in her voice for certain things. She does say Mom and Mama a lot and other "words" too. She does look at me when she says Mom though so I'm pretty sure that one is ligit! Well it is to me anyway! It's funny when I ask her if we should go nurse she makes a cute little grunting noise. She sure doesn't like to lie still anymore though. At night she does to nurse but during the day she wiggles all over the place.

When you said your hubby eats 3-30 carb meals and 3-15 carb snacks is that 45 carbs/day or 135?? I sometimes get frustrated by counting ALL the time and wonder if I would lose if I just ate low carb. I've been doing it for two months so I know what's good and what's not. I guess I originally started counting to make sure I was getting ENOUGH carbs because of nursing.

Well, anyway I've got to run. Welcome to our group!

Teresa
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 13:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 138/133./107 Female 57.5
BF:37%/27%/?
Progress: 16%

I'm so glad that I found this group of breastfeeding mothers! I was worried about the effects that this WOL would have on milk production, so I really appreciate the advice to stick with the 40-50 range.

On another note, my son, Alex, is also starting slowly with solids. He's eating dinner every night and a couple of lunches throughout the week, otherwise, he's exclusively breastfed. My concern with this is his iron intake. His ped. also said that breastmilk is all they need in the first year, but I've read that their reserves of iron are depleted after the age of 6 months. Is this a concern the you have as well?