Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 12:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 138/122/115 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Unhappy Mexico Not Low Carb Friendly

Got back from Mexico last night. So happy to be back. The weather was hot, humid and uncomfortable. Mexico is not Low Carb friendly, so I did drink a lot of Coca Cola Light (there version of Diet Coke), and had some chips and tortillas, and a WHOLE lotta shrimp. I dont think i'll be looking at hot sauce and limes for a very long time. Anyway, its back to strict low carbing now. I know I have gained some weight, and i probaly have lost some resistance in exercise so i will have to build up again. I had finally hit my goal weight too.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 13:32
Registered Member

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/198/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I had an experience that was kinda the same that threw me last week during the hurricane.

We live on a rural farm, so we lost electricity as well as water. We had some generators hooked up to the water for our cattle, but could not cook, because we use electric.

So we had to go eat out for about 1 week. For the first half of the week, there were only a few places open, and those places ran out of eggs, bacon, meats, etc.

I was beside myself, because I couldn't eat low carb for awhile. Well it finally got fixed, and we were able to eat better, but while we were going through this it was a hassle, and I ate as little as I could.

There were times during that week, I had to eat a small amount of bread, potatoes, anything to get some energy to deal with cattle etc.

So I know how you feel, I was never so glad to return to this WOL, and hopefully, will stay there.

Hope you had a great time in Mexico though, viewing your stats, I am sure the weight will peel off quickly, and you will be back to goal in no time!!
~Andi~
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 15:49
Registered Member

Stats: 253/241/165 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 14%

I'll be heading to Mexico in March and I hope I'll be able to control myself! I'm thinking shrimp also — lots of seafood if I can get my hands on it. Too bad they probably don't have low-carb tortillas! (I love those!).
But, maybe by then, I'll have room to play a little bit!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 18:42
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Oh, I don't know about that.

About 15 years ago I spent three months in Cuernavaca, working as a private chef. Now with low-carb eyes, I can see that there was plenty to eat there that would fit in perfectly with low-carbing. The things that stand out are...
  • Carnitas - pork cooked in its own fat
  • Chiccharones - what we know as pork rinds, but fresh and hot
  • Nopales - cactus paddles made into salsa or salads
  • Guacamole and avocadoes
  • Fantastic grilled chicken
  • Ceviche - raw fish cooked in lime juice
  • Blue crab, red snapper and shrimp
  • Pit barbecued meats
  • Dried beef
  • REAL tacos everywhere - just eat the meat filling and not the tortilla
  • Lots of good cheese
  • Plenty of great vegetables
Oddly enough, I did lose fat while I was there because it was too much of a pain to keep up with my steady diet of soft drinks, pasta, bread, ice cream, potatoes and all the other crap I was used to eating. I ate of fruit, tortillas, meat and lots of vegetables/salsa. I would have the occasional Mexican ice cream which was fantastic. Of course I gained it all back when I returned home.

I would love to eat those carnitas again!

Karen

Last edited by Karen : Mon, Sep-29-03 at 18:44.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 19:51

Stats: 185/167/135 Female 5'4"
BF:more than I need!
Progress: 36%

=) Carnitas for Karen

Pork Carnitas, Mexican style
makes about 4 servings

4 poblano chiles, peeled and seeded
1 medium onion, cut in halves
1 pound center loin roast, cut in strips
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
½ pound tomatoes, finely chopped

If you are using dried poblanos, toasting them lightly will make them easy to peel. Place them on a hot ungreased skillet or girdle. If this is your first time doing this, it is much better to err on the side of under toasting. If they are over-cooked they will become bitter, and not much can be done to save the taste. They may puff up when toasting, that's normal so don't be alarmed.

Cut chiles and onion halves into small strips. Cook pork, chiles, onion and garlic in oil in a skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until pork is no longer pink, about 12 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, vinegar, salt and tomatoes. Cook until hot. Serve with tortillas, guacamole and sour cream.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 19:52

Stats: 185/167/135 Female 5'4"
BF:more than I need!

eeek.. make that low - carb tortillas!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 20:08

Plan: lower carb, lower GI
Stats: 298/277/240 Female 5'6
BF:yes it is

uhm- not sure "how" I got here (was wandering around) but man, those sound wonderful! Gotta try that soon! Thanks for posting the recipe.

Am thinking those headed Mx way should pack a package of lo carb La Tortilla -tortillas? No?
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 21:31

Plan: The Ketogenic Diet/Atkins
Stats: 295/200/199 Male 5' 10
BF:
Progress: 99%

I have to agree with Karen, there actually is a lot of low carb stuff. Sure there are tons of tortillas and tortas around but there is also great cabrito (goat), camarones (shrimp), plenty of grilled meats and fish, and lots of yummy guacamole. We also found both a Brazilian and Argentinian steakhouse (look for them, it is the most LC friendly place, they bring dozens of meats around on long swords and slice off however much you want). Tapas restaurants are great places to go too. Tapas are a collection of mini dishes and often have a great selection of cheeses and meats. Just stay away from the bread they are usually served with.

I'll admit though I gave in to temptation there too. About a day into it I decided it was more worth it to just experience the country for the time I was going to be there. What I found though was that if I loaded up on meat quickly, wasn't as tempted by the tortillas or chips and ate a lot less than normal.

Last edited by almost : Mon, Sep-29-03 at 21:35.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 05:32
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/162/137 Female 5 foot 2inches
BF:
Progress: 11%

coincidentally - I am off to lunch at a Mexican restaurant today.. and carnitas or shrimp salad is what I always have! Yummy!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 05:52

Stats: 156.8/136/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Where in Mexico did you go? We are trying to plan a trip for this winter, and Mexico is an option. Riveria Maya, has anyone ever been there?
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 08:52

BF:

Thanks everyone for the responses. I went to Culiacan and Mazatlan in Mexico. I was sick almost everyday over there, and still feeling a bit sick now that i'm back home.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 11:58

Stats: 156.8/136/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Sick because of the water?

Would you go again?
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 13:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug61
Sick because of the water?

Would you go again?

I'm really not sure what it was that made me sick. I dont think it was the water because I drank nothing but bottled water. It had to be either the seafood over there or the weather. My body is not used to those high temperatures and humidty maybe. I'm spoiled I guess living in the Bay Area, CA (close to San Francisco) where the temp never really goes above 80 degrees.

As far as going to Mexico again, it would have to Winter time for sure.