Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 09:11

Plan: all
Stats: 140/130/120
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb low cab cheff shortbread recipe

Please!! Does anyone have the recipe for low carb chef shortbread?? I spend way too much money getting my hands on these 15 calorie cookies. I've tried creating the right ratio from the ingredients list, but it just wasn't right. I especially didn't have the right form of maltitol for the sweetness. Please if anybody has suggestions....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 14:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/134/130 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress: 86%

I just did a search on "shortbread" hoping for a tasty lc recipe. I've been experimenting with my Scottish shortbread recipes. I've tried using Atkins bake mix but the end result is garbage.

Anyhoo, I just bought some almond flour and tried that. I used about 5 oz almond flour added about 2 oz wheat flour and 4 oz butter. I was winging it since this was my first try at substituting almond flour for all purpose flour. However, while blending the butter and flour, it didn't crumble the way it normally does. It got all pasty, so I added the 2 oz of wheat flour, then about 2 tbls splenda (the kind that pours from the box versus the packets). However, it didn't taste very sweet. So I added 2 packets of sweet & low (pink packets) since blending sweeteners is supposed to be better.

I added a couple shakes of salt and spread the mix in half of my toaster oven tray since there wasn't enough to fill the whole tray and I didn't want it too thin. Baked at 325F for about 20 mins and it came out not half bad. Very light and crumbly but you can taste the yummy buttery taste.

I might try more wheat flour and less almond flour to help make it less crumbly next time. I hope this helps you in your endeavors.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 13:02

Plan: atkins/now cad
Stats: 179/154/155 Female 70"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Hey Guys,
I have not tried this recipe but Oat flour might really do a good job. I am not sure about the carb count vs the wheat flour but oat flour seems like it might work. Just a thought. Have an awsome day.
Pam
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 13:22

Plan: was Atkins now SB
Stats: 200/197.5/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:42/42/23
Progress: 10%

OMG Shortbreads! I miss those buttery cookies!
I want a recipe too!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 16:24

BF:

Thanks, fly, for the suggestion of oat flour. I'll check it out next time I'm at the store. I had a devil of a time finding almond flour so I hope oat flour is not as rare a commodity! Cute airedales, 2 airedales. I've a greyhound.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 10:07

Plan: atkins/now cad
Stats: 179/154/155 Female 70"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Hello Greyscot,
I make my own oat flour. If you have a coffee grinder (I have one just for flax and nuts and Oats) grind up some quaker oats, not the quick stuff but the old fashioned kind. Works great and not too bad on the wallet. Have fun,
Pam
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 12:31

BF:

You must have noticed I'm Scottish. So that money saving idea is right up my alley. Thanks!