Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 14:19
Nequaquam Vacuum!

Plan: The Zone, Fat Flush
Stats: 178.5/147.5/147.7 Female 64 inches
BF:more than enough
Progress: 101%
Unhappy Week Three Help Needed!

So, I wouldn't have really minded not having any weight loss on my third week of induction. In fact, I would have been happy to go to bed every night weighing 163.5 and wake up weighing 163.
But, I've gained a whole pound and a half! So, before I freak out, I was wondering if one of the older (planwise), wiser, more veteran-y members could check out my FitDays and see if I'm overeating, or (my fear) eating too much cheese, or what.
Here's some other things to note:

I have been exercising 4 days per week.
I drink about 3 litres of spring water a day.
No TOM-ly visits upcoming.
I drink psyllium husks every other night.
I am not currently lifting weights.
My fat intake (according to FitDay) is at 70%.
I gave up the Atkins chocolate decadence bars LAST week!
I am taking chelated magnesium in the pm and calcium citrate in the am.

Help! I'm trying to do everything right.
Jasmine
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 15:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 214.9/187/150 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 43%

It looks like you are doing fine. Just remember this. The body has it's time table and it may not be yours. Read other posts that are similar to yours and you will see lots of great replies and ideas.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 19:42
Registered Member

Stats: 145/135/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 67%

It will probably disappear very quickly. I took a look at your fitday and I don't see any concerns.

It sounds like you are doing everything right. Are you drinking caffiene or diet pop at all? (not everyone puts beverages in their fitday)... I found that large amounts of caffiene throw me off... during induction I cut down from about 6-10 cans of diet coke a day, all the way down to 2-3 max (which seems like too much, but I hit my goal, so I'm not being too hard on myself with it).

Anyways, just something to think about. The caffiene or aspartame in diet sodas can get some people.

I'm assuming you are weighing yourself at the same time each day and the same way (clothes on or off consistently).

Good luck, keep up the hard work, and try not to panic!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 20:50

Plan: Atkins- OWL/Pre-M
Stats: 165/144/140 Female 70 inches (5' 10")
BF:30%/19.28%/19%?
Progress: 84%

Hey Jasmine!
Why don't you try upping your calories some and see if that helps?

Lori
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 20:58
Nequaquam Vacuum!

Plan: The Zone, Fat Flush
Stats: 178.5/147.5/147.7 Female 64 inches
BF:more than enough
Progress: 101%

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. No, I haven't had caffeine since beginning induction three weeks ago. sniff! sniff!!
Lori, I am forcing the stuff down as it is, I don't know, maybe if I add a snack time thing? The only thing I can eat huge amounts of at this point is tuna fish or egg salad! I think I'll have to try some recipes if I want to up calories.
I know I've been having a hard time getting those carbs in, too.
--jasmine
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 21:53

Plan: Atkins- OWL/Pre-M
Stats: 165/144/140 Female 70 inches (5' 10")
BF:30%/19.28%/19%?
Progress: 84%

Jasmine,
Use Olive oil (cook with it and add to salads ... 1 tbsp = 200kcal) use butter with those eggs (just throw a pat on them) and how do you feel about avocado? great for carbs, cal, and that good fat! If you're looking to stay on induction I won't suggest nuts, but once you're ready nuts are great for calories and fat too

I was taught that if you want to lose weight that you should eat about 500cal/day less than you are burning each day and you should lose just over a pound a week and that you should never go over 1000cal/day less than you burn or you will stop losing.

Hang in there. I'll dropping by your journal tomorrow.
Lori
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 22:24
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Jasmine,

you will find that upping calories and eating those mandatory carbs will make you start losing again. This WOE and lowcalorie does not work together! So don't worry - eat! I know it can be hard because ketosis causes loss of appetite sometimes. Put fat on everything you eat......

And the most important thing - we can't lose weight all the time. Breaks like this are normal, fluctuations are normal, everyone has experienced them. Trust me - it's not uncommon to fluctuate up to 4 lbs in the beginning - for no apparent reason!

Stay strong!

All the best

Alina
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 10:27

Stats: 146/121.5/120 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 94%

Try not to stress too much about it. The same thing happened to me around week 3; my weight just fluctuated up by a couple of pounds and seemed stuck there. Eventually, it started drifting back down again, yippee!--as I'm sure yours will too if you keep on the plan. I keep telling myself that slow loss is better because then it's real.

Good luck.