Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 06:03
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 211/189/160 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Anti Depressants and weight loss

Hello all,
About 10 years ago I was put on some MUCH NEEDED anti depressant medication. Slowly, over the years I have put on weight, 50 or so pounds to be exact. I am sure it is due to the medication, I am taking Zoloft 100mg daily. My question is this....is there an anti depressant medication that you all have tried that doesn't cause weight gain? I have tried to be free of the meds by trying the all natural stuff, you know, St. Johns Wort, 5-HTP and stuff like that, to NO avail. It is apparent that I benefit greatly from the meds mentally. But it does cause my weight loss to slow way down. If any of you have tried another med that maybe didn't cause you to gain weight, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 09:15

Stats: 230/161.2/146 Female 5ft 6in
BF:yep, sure have !!
Progress: 82%

Hi,

I was on Cipramil - 20mg ( think you might know them as Celexa) up until recently and suffered no unexpected weight gain on these tablets. Was on them for just under a year, did suffer some other minor side effects - strange deams, at times insomnia but that was manageable.

I did do some searching around on other web sites to see what pewoples views were on this exact topic, cos I was concerned about the weight gain, and one good webite I found - www. healthboards.com ad a really good forum re depression and i seem to remember quite a few people posing the question re the differnent types of AD's and possible wieght gain - cant remember the findings cos I was only interested in what they had to say about the Ciprimil.

Worth going back to your doctor and discussing it with them cos thy should know which tablets will suit you best - good luck !!!

Take Care

Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 11:54
I'm gonna make it!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/265/160 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I was also on anti-depressants & anti-anxeity meds. I took Zoloft, Wellbutrin, and Lithobid. I put on 30 pounds in 3 months. In June I weened myself off the meds. With the change in diet I feel much better. In Dr A's book, I read the symtoms of blood sugar stress, pretty much what I was feeling. My drs. diagnosed me with bipolar depression, without concidering the fact that I might have a problems with the diet I was on.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 14:23

Stats: 190/167/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 38%

My godsend was Wellbutrin. I lost a few pounds, quit smoking, and no major depression! Unfortunately, after almost two years it stopped working for me and I got depressed and gained weight. I recently tried another anti-depressant, but couldn't stand it. Right now, I have been off all anti-depressants for about two weeks, and I am starting to feel side-effect free at last. I have my best friend and hubby keeping a close eye on me, if I slip back into the pit, I'll go on St.John's Wort which worked for me years ago when my depression was milder.

It's been almost ten years since I started taking anti-depressants, and other than when I had my daughter (who is now 7.5) I haven't been off em. This is kinda scary, actually.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 15:36
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you all so much. I have recently tried going off the meds again , and tried the all natural approaches, but they don't touch the feelings of anger and rage that I get. I am usually the nicest person, but holy cow, a couple of weeks off of the meds and I hate everything and everyone, and everyone hates me!! It's absolutely horrible. So, for peace of mind, I will stay on them, but may try Wellbutrin. I have only tried Zoloft and have virtually no side effects at all, except for the weight gain, wouldn't ya know it. I suppose talking to my doc wouldn't hurt either. Again, thank you all.
La Vonna........who is medicate and under control again ;-)
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 16:03
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

The "common opinion" seems to be that Cipramil and Zoloft makes you gain and Prozac makes you lose. (Weight that is.) Prozac manufacturers even wanted to sub-market the product as a weight loss aid, but I don't think they reached sufficiant levels to be granted. (All info from a friend of mine who is a psychiatrist.)
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 22:30
I'm gonna make it!

Stats: 265/265/160 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

LaVonna

Don't ever stop the meds cold turkey. Make sure you go off them slow. I weened myself off after a month of decreasing the doses. Lots less side effects.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 02:00

Stats: 253/240/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

I'm currently on 200mg Zoloft a day, I usually lose about 2lb a week. Don't know if I'd lose quicker of the meds but like you I really need them and I'm happy with the 2lbs weekly loss. From what I've heard/read the slower you lose the more chance you have of keeping it off and it's a bit easier for your skin to adjust its self.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-03, 08:47
Registered Member

BF:

Now that's what I like to hear! Good for you! 200mg, man, I thought I was taking a lot. It's just a saving grace for me. I am still losing.....about 1 1/2 lbs per week, so I will just be happy with that. I have upped my intake of L-Carnitine and Chromium Picolinate and Co Q-10 and, although I just started that 2 days ago, I am hopeful that will speed it up a bit.
Thank you all for your replies.......
La Vonna
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 09:59

BF:

200 is a big dose. Only on it for a few months then back down to mu usual 150, I have a very hard time with my depression. I've never heard of those supplements can I ask what they are for?
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-03, 19:16
Registered Member

BF:

Sure! 5-HTP say's it's supposed to support nervous system health, promote feelings of well being, and enhance diet. St. John's Wort nutritionally supports a positive mood. I'm not sure how much is recommended for someone with depression, so maybe I wasn't taking enough, but It just didn't help at all. Can I ask why you are bumped up to 200, then back to 150? Does that seem to help you?
La Vonna
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 00:12

BF:

thanks for the info

I had been on 150 for ages, but I was in a really bad way emotioanally. So last time I saw my shrink about 3 weeks ago he said he would put me up to 200 for 6 weeks. 200 is the max dose and he said it isn't reccomened to stay at that dose for a long time. He just wanted to give me a boost to see if it helped, which it has! I feel wonderful, better than I have done in years.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 06:56

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

I was on Paxil for about a year but have needed it for about 5! I went off of it a few months ago when we could no longer afford it... I borrowed the $150 a month for 2 months then just couldnt anymore...we were unemployed no insurance and basically no choice! I was very scared! I also have the RAGE that you mentioned..I am like a body possessed by a demon! ANYWAY.... I started Atkins and weaned my daughter and lo and behold...I am totally fine w/o drugs! I am so happy-it's amazing!

I guess if I were you I would go to your doc who prescribed these and ask this ? specifically. good luck.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 10:36
Registered Member

BF:

Good for both of you! Isn't it good to feel like your old self again. You are very lucky Jessie that you no longer need anything. I would give anything to be there. But, that rage thing is horrible. Just exactly like you said. It's awful, and so uncontrolable. I will talk to my dr. and see if something else will help, but maybe allow me a little more weight loss. But I hate the thought of finding out the correct dosage all over again. What a pain in the butt that is. I have a very high tollerance for medication, but the docs don't want to believe me when I tell them that. I guess that's their job, they learn quickly enough, but in the mean time, I am taking a dosage that doesn't touch me, and I am that little devil for a while. All of this chemical imbalance crap is just so unfair!
La Vonna
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 10:42
Registered Member

BF:

One more thing Jesse, just in case you need the meds again. Don't be afraid to ask your dr. for samples. Sometimes if the doc knows your situation, he will be happy to give you samples each month. They are freely given to the doc's so it doesn't cost them anything to just give them to you.
But, hopefully, you will never need them again.